Morrissey Central: " IT’S … SOMEWHERE" (November 22nd 2019)

unnamed_uvnhqv.jpg

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/it-s-somewhere

"IT’S … SOMEWHERE
November 22, 2019

Today is the official release date for "It's Over"/"It Happens Every Time" single/45 on BMG.

No sign of the disc as yet here at M-central. Please let us know if one pops up in your local scrap metal merchants. Thank you. -VH
"

Smooth.

Remind me again ~ do we know who the hell VH is?

Viva Hate?
Vida Hope? :yum:

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
If BMG made any money from this release, it would have been in the shops yonks ago. Profits or losses with these 7-inches are so minimal, so they are putting them out just to humour Morrissey. If they are even bothering to put them out, that is.

If BMG made any money from this release, it would have been in the shops yonks ago. Profits or losses with these 7-inches are so minimal, so they are putting them out just to humour Morrissey. If they are even bothering to put them out, that is.
STDIB sold out...

I don't know how to deal with the current situation except to show sarcasm. Doesn't the protagonist notice that his external image is devastating? I mean, the record company doesn't want to release his second single, wants to do it and doesn't do it at the end and the artist documents this whole career for the public. The public laughs about it and makes fun of it. So he will never reach the status he once had, no matter how loud the supporters roar "Morrissey is the greatest". So many people have run away who once belonged to the fan base, that can't have escaped the people in charge. With a muzzle on his face, a record company that apparently doesn't offer the support he imagines and a devastating external image, Britain's once greatest singer and lyricist is heading into 2020 in his californian exile. When will this tragedy be filmed?

I don't know how to deal with the current situation except to show sarcasm. Doesn't the protagonist notice that his external image is devastating? I mean, the record company doesn't want to release his second single, wants to do it and doesn't do it at the end and the artist documents this whole career for the public. The public laughs about it and makes fun of it. So he will never reach the status he once had, no matter how loud the supporters roar "Morrissey is the greatest". So many people have run away who once belonged to the fan base, that can't have escaped the people in charge. With a muzzle on his face, a record company that apparently doesn't offer the support he imagines and a devastating external image, Britain's once greatest singer and lyricist is heading into 2020 in his californian exile. When will this tragedy be filmed?

He's always liked tragedy & exile & has always written about how embarrassing & awful his life is. I wish he'd created a nice old age for himself, but maybe he's just not capable of being happy. He's still a great artist no matter what happens.

STDIB sold out...

And how many were pressed? About 4000 copies? If there was any chance of making a proper profit with these, surely they would have printed more then. But no, these are limited edition releases for fans only, and any possible profits or losses are of no importance whatsoever to a major label. That's why there is also no promotion for these.

He's always liked tragedy & exile & has always written about how embarrassing & awful his life is. I wish he'd created a nice old age for himself, but maybe he's just not capable of being happy. He's still a great artist no matter what happens.
Very good. People who have more distance to Morrissey's work (than I do) say that he sings really well at the current concerts but is in a desolate optical state. Someone like him, who congenially combined physics with intellect, is unfortunately also measured by this in old age. Here he is not on the right track in terms of his outward appearance. All this would not be the problem if he had not said what he said. It's not about how I feel about that either (my suffering factor is high) but I know a lot of people around me who have always liked him and now say, "How can you still care for this self-important, bigoted asshole?" I am not in the position to tell them "No, you are completely wrong. It's just the media that draws a wrong picture of him."

Last edited:
Very good. People who have more distance to Morrissey's work (than I do) say that he sings really well at the current concerts but is in a desolate optical state. Someone like him, who congenially combined physics with intellect, is unfortunately also measured by this in old age. Here he is not on the right track in terms of his outward appearance. All this would not be the problem if he had not said what he said. It's not about how I feel about that either (my suffering factor is high) but I know a lot of people around me who have always liked him and now say, "How can you still care for this self-important, bigoted asshole?" I am not in the position to tell them "No, you are completely wrong. It's just the media that draws a wrong picture of him."

A lot of people do hate him now based on the media - I just go by his songs & the context of the things he's upset about. Getting hysterical about Islamic terrorism & halal slaughter, or the EU as an oppressive structure, may not be wise, but it's more like hating the British Empire or hating Loyalists than hating people because you think they're inferior.

Also - I think he looks ill & so I forgive him for whatever mental rut he's got himself into & hope for an improvement.

I do think long-term he is a great artist & this will all be put into the context of whatever unhappiness is going on in his life - but I don't know if he'll be forgiven in his lifetime by UK audiences or the media.

I do genuinely work in the pr field - & he's got plenty of routes back - he could talk about his Irishness, his gayness, his mental illness, the darkness in his lyrics - but the main problem is, he's never liked talking in public about his real life & his real feelings & he does seem to have serious health problems. So, redemption is possible, but perhaps too much for him.

It's nice to be able to have factual conversations here. For years I've looked away that Morrissey is no longer the artist he was for me in the nineties. And we're talking here about the music and the melodies as well as the production, which were just better for him back then. Well, it was another time when not every movement of the artist was made public. Where he could meet Jake Walters on a terrace in a London cafe or restaurant without being recognized. That had charm, was undefined and always more interesting than many other things on the english music market.

After the triumphant comeback in 2004 and a good record in 2006, the spiral somehow went south and I'm still not quite sure what it was all about? Was it the (mainly) mediocre rock music and ill health? Were it his strange statements or was it really the media? Or was it all together?

And how many were pressed? About 4000 copies? If there was any chance of making a proper profit with these, surely they would have printed more then. But no, these are limited edition releases for fans only, and any possible profits or losses are of no importance whatsoever to a major label. That's why there is also no promotion for these.
Of course for fans only?

Of course for fans only?

Umm... I don't really know what you mean. In this age of streaming a 7-inch vinyl is a ridiculously impractical format. Who makes the effort of getting up and putting it on for three minutes of music, when you can enjoy music all day long without having to get off the chair? So it's obvious that a 7-inch vinyl by any artist is a fans-only release for collectors. And there aren't that many of them. I doubt that even the people who buy these records actually play them, since there are easier ways to listen to the music on them.

After the triumphant comeback in 2004 and a good record in 2006, the spiral somehow went south and I'm still not quite sure what it was all about? Was it the (mainly) mediocre rock music and ill health? Were it his strange statements or was it really the media? Or was it all together?

Quarry was so good, because he was younger then and had several years to plan his comeback. The songs on the album and on the b-sides show that they are the fruits of a longer gestation period. Compared to that, Ringleader was in my opinion a complacent record -- the lyrics and the songs were clearly weaker than on Quarry and getting Tobias into the band didn't help either. When the album didn't do as well as Morrissey thought, he threw another tantrum (the infamous e-mail to Merck) and destroyed a working relationship with Sanctuary. That was basically the start of another wilderness period, despite Years Of Refusal.

Umm... I don't really know what you mean. In this age of streaming a 7-inch vinyl is a ridiculously impractical format. Who makes the effort of getting up and putting it on for three minutes of music, when you can enjoy music all day long without having to get off the chair? So it's obvious that a 7-inch vinyl by any artist is a fans-only release for collectors. And there aren't that many of them. I doubt that even the people who buy these records actually play them, since there are easier ways to listen to the music on them.

dont you have the bandwith to learn that vinyl is all the rage among the hipster crowd and that is how they listen?:censored:
JFC just admit you have no funds to buy one.o_O

So why was he basically able to put out only quality material (a's and b's) 88-04 compared to his latter-day material post ROTT (or Quarry)?

It's nice to be able to have factual conversations here. For years I've looked away that Morrissey is no longer the artist he was for me in the nineties. And we're talking here about the music and the melodies as well as the production, which were just better for him back then. Well, it was another time when not every movement of the artist was made public. Where he could meet Jake Walters on a terrace in a London cafe or restaurant without being recognized. That had charm, was undefined and always more interesting than many other things on the english music market.

I still love his work, although there's some awful production, he still has interesting ideas. I'd guess that the spiral started with some kind of heartbreak & then escalated when his health collapsed in his early 50s. He seems overwhelmingly depressed & nihilistic these days. With only a few flashes of humour & mischief.

"Interesting ideas" that's how to put it. Yes. WPINOYB was the album that was hard to take for me. That wasn't the thing I wanted to hear after the 4 good new songs he offered live after Refusal during 11/12. It went wrong there.

So why was he basically able to put out only quality material (a's and b's) 88-04 compared to his latter-day material post ROTT (or Quarry)?

Kill Uncle, Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted were hardly "only quality material".

When there was a poll on this site a while ago I think they came out as the bottom 3 albums and with good reason...

"Interesting ideas" that's how to put it. Yes. WPINOYB was the album that was hard to take for me. That wasn't the thing I wanted to hear after the 4 good new songs he offered live after Refusal during 11/12. It went wrong there.

It's his worst sounding album, esp some very cheesy synths. The songs all have potential, but they're not as ambivalent or complex as before. Mostly he's hammering home quite a simple message or situation.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom