Morrissey Central: Blue Rondo A La Turk

BLUE RONDO A LA TURK - Morrissey Central
July 8, 2019

full

"I liked them because they seemed two jumps ahead of everyone else. The mere sight of them suggested big league, but they didn't quite get that far. They were one of the very few groups that the Smiths supported, but there was a scepticism about them being just 'club models' … who asked and got. This was said also about very early Roxy Music … who appeared to be quite affluent before they'd even had a hit. With Blue Rondo, again, you suspected that they were given all of their fantastic suits for free whilst the rest of us had to dream of being able to buy SOMETHING that didn't look TOO abysmal. The main electric spark was their dancing which was very virile and athletic … and even though they came from the Blitz/Billy's scene they seemed like supermale prizefighters or nightclub heavies … deep-chested vocals, narrow-hipped, and very much a man's, man's, man's, man's world. I don't think a sudden tussle would trouble them in the least. But their songs were not about the curves of seductive women - or even about women … as if women might even lack some essential excitement. It's a safe bet that they couldn't stand the Smiths … me singing about not even a glimmer of adventure sex. But that was 1982 or, for me, 1947. Their companion Robert Elms described me as "Ena Sharples". I was actually flattered because Violet Carson, I thought, was extremely funny. You know how comedians or comic actors think that if they show lots of teeth people will think they're saying something hilarious … when of course they aren't? Well, Violet Carson kept her teeth well hidden. Maybe she had none? How did I get from Blue Rondo a la Turk to Violet Carson?
Oh. Well, Blue Rondo were a London band … which was obvious to us because they actually had shoes. I don't think their songs were as good as ours, but our shoes weren't as good as theirs, so, there we are.
They quickly went away and didn't return. I don't know if it's even possible to find their music anymore, but it certainly wouldn't hurt the ear. I think some of Blue Rondo were from the West Indies whereas of course all of the Smiths were born at the Manchester Scabies & Gripe Maternity Hospital."

Morrissey 7 July 2019, talking to himself (for … what choice?)

* sorry, I have no idea who took the above photograph.

Amusing musings from Moz about the first Smiths-support act.

Note posted by an anonymous person:

Actually, it was the other way around. The Smiths supported them. It was their first live show ever on 4 October 1982 at the Ritz.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does Morrissey mean by "even though they came from the Blitz/Billy's scene"?

Morrissey will never retract the truth.

In fact he will go on to enlighten us even more.

Which will make you stamp your feet in tears.

While bringing me endless joy and delight.

Well, I guess this is good news for one person: Johnny Marr. He's picking up all the old Smiths fans that can't stomach Morrissey now.

I think you totally over-estimate the faux outrage of The Guardian and the left. Most people don't give a f*** about the PC fascism that dominates public discourse. Moz's views on immigration really aren't that shocking. Most people over 35 would almost entirely share Moz's views on immigration and Islam. Only students who are force-fed cultural Marxism get upset about such mainstream opinion. Even most immigrants think mass immigration is out of control. I have a friend who's a proper cockney. He's married to a black woman. Has 5 mixed race kids. He constantly tells me about how he thinks immigration is out of control. His wife thinks the same.
This is true. Non-English Londoners I speak to are always saying how London was "better before". For example black West Indians used to be the dominant blacks in London until recently Africans demographically 'took over' and 'brought their violence with them.' (statistically true - and they encouraged kids to start carrying machetes over knives - tool of the African bush). The Turks hate the new Afghans ("what do you expect, he's a f***ing Afghan" - taxi driver to me the other day after a near crash, then he slagged off a black man in a pimpmobile - the honesty was refreshing).

The Indians hate the Pakistanis and vice versa... etc etc ad infinitum. But of course you're only accused of 'racism' if you're white which renders the term meaningless. Everyone white and non white says London was "better before". As for the newcomers they're clueless - which is just the way our government like it.

Last edited:
I think you totally over-estimate the faux outrage of The Guardian and the left. Most people don't give a f*** about the PC fascism that dominates public discourse. Moz's views on immigration really aren't that shocking.

It would be nice if this was true. Despite being hugely critical of what he's said and done recently, I actually want him to still put out new albums. But I'm afraid you are completely wrong about me (or anyone) over-estimating the outrage. Exhibit A - the 2018 UK summer tour. Just a handful of dates, some of which were at very modest venues with capacities of no more than 1,000-2,000. None of them even half sold out. The humiliation was so great, the tour was cancelled.
Exhibit B - the new covers album. His previous studio album just 18 months old, Low in High School, sold 25,000 in week 1 and even that was when things were looking pretty shaky (Der Spiegel interview had come out). Most of us guessed California Son would do about 15,000. It sold a tiny 8,000 copies. The UK fan-base has well and truly hemorrhaged. Around two thirds of his fans have jumped ship, and that was before his most recent racist comments. I'm afraid it seems that most of the people that buy his stuff really do give a f*** about his support for an unambiguously right-wing political party, and about him claiming that everyone prefers their own race (yuck). We won't see him live again, and we won't buy any more of his stuff, unless and until he retracts all the frighteningly ghastly and ugly things he's said and done since Annie Waters first poisoned his worldview in October 2017.

Oh I disagree, he's very masculine and husky. I love his voice.
But Moz has the charisma and a full voice - Marr just does Smiths karaoke with his light Bernard Sumner tones. It's not bad per se, but the idea of Morrissey fans deserting him for Marr's thin watery (but okayish, nothing more) current music seems a little absurd.

But Moz has the charisma and a full voice - Marr just does Smiths karaoke with his light Bernard Sumner tones. It's not bad per se, but the idea of Morrissey fans deserting him for Marr's thin watery (but okayish, nothing more) current music seems a little absurd.

It's a real phenomenon. You know how kids are, they hear someone is racist and they don't look into it, they just buy it wholesale. Here's Twitter posts, just from the last couple of hours:

Fenner Pearson‏ @fennerpearson 27m27 minutes ago
But what's so lovely is that Johnny Marr has taken on The Smiths canon. Look at him here, brilliantly owning that most Smithsy song 'How Soon Is Now' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIHOZOZYIHs … It's a sad state of affairs, I guess, but we can, happily, carry on without Morrissey.

Stelios J‏ @Tsaksonakis 1h1 hour ago
`I have decided to make Johnny Marr the "band-leader" of 'The Smiths'. Heaven knows it's the only way I can listen to them now!

Hi @Johnny_Marr - how about reforming The Smiths and doing a bloody massive tour with awesome guest vocalists (and your good self of course). Dickhead gets nothing and you reclaim your history! love you Johnny. X

Adam Swales‏ @adam_swales 3h3 hours ago
Replying to @CharlieChock @JoeyNoCollusion
Morrissey's solo stuff is okay, and if he wasn't such a dick, I might be more forgiving. Johnny Marr, however, is a god.

Sav‏ @Sav9659 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @caitlinmoran @billybragg
Seeing Johnny Marr play with the Killers at Glastonbury and looking so cool just made me realise how awful it would be if he got back with Morrissey. Johnny is the man who carries the Smiths legacy and he carries it with great dignity.

Adam Swales‏ @adam_swales 4h4 hours ago
No. Morrissey can take a long walk on a short pier while Johnny Marr plays Bigmouth Strikes Again.

You can see for yourself, there are literally hundreds of examples. Each one a fan that Morrissey has lost.

It's a real phenomenon. You know how kids are, they hear someone is racist and they don't look into it, they just buy it wholesale. Here's Twitter posts, just from the last couple of hours:

Fenner Pearson‏ @fennerpearson 27m27 minutes ago
But what's so lovely is that Johnny Marr has taken on The Smiths canon. Look at him here, brilliantly owning that most Smithsy song 'How Soon Is Now' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIHOZOZYIHs … It's a sad state of affairs, I guess, but we can, happily, carry on without Morrissey.

Stelios J‏ @Tsaksonakis 1h1 hour ago
`I have decided to make Johnny Marr the "band-leader" of 'The Smiths'. Heaven knows it's the only way I can listen to them now!

Hi @Johnny_Marr - how about reforming The Smiths and doing a bloody massive tour with awesome guest vocalists (and your good self of course). Dickhead gets nothing and you reclaim your history! love you Johnny. X

Adam Swales‏ @adam_swales 3h3 hours ago
Morrissey's solo stuff is okay, and if he wasn't such a dick, I might be more forgiving. Johnny Marr, however, is a god.

Sav‏ @Sav9659 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @caitlinmoran @billybragg
Seeing Johnny Marr play with the Killers at Glastonbury and looking so cool just made me realise how awful it would be if he got back with Morrissey. Johnny is the man who carries the Smiths legacy and he carries it with great dignity.

Adam Swales‏ @adam_swales 4h4 hours ago
No. Morrissey can take a long walk on a short pier while Johnny Marr plays Bigmouth Strikes Again.

You can see for yourself, there are literally hundreds of examples. Each one a fan that Morrissey has lost.
Very sheep like behaviour I agree (which is typical of those who (over) use Twitter). But it's hardly a mass movement.

But on saying that I would love many fans to desert Moz for a while because then maybe he could play some intimate venues in the UK - to his real fans. Those who understand him.

Under normal circumstances you'd be dead right. Morrissey's a much better singer, and they are his words after all. But these are not normal circumstances. It seems that most people (i.e. over 50%) who loved the Smiths now feel too uncomfortable to go and see the Smiths' singer perform, following his recent racism and unequivocal conversion to tiny-minded right wing politics. So we would indeed rather see Marr under these circumstances. Yes, the singing is worse and he does sound a bit like Bernard Sumners but there is nothing but good vibes at a Johnny Marr concert, and superlative guitar playing, so we put up with the serviceable singing.

Very sheep like behaviour I agree (which is typical of those who (over) use Twitter). But it's hardly a mass movement..

No, but shedding two thirds of your fan-base between Low in High School (25,000) and California Sun (8,000) does, I'm afraid, very much represent a mass movement, but by all means stay in denial if that's a more comfortable place to be.

Under normal circumstances you'd be dead right. Morrissey's a much better singer, and they are his words after all. But these are not normal circumstances. It seems that most people (i.e. over 50%) who loved the Smiths now feel too uncomfortable to go and see the Smiths' singer perform, following his recent racism and unequivocal conversion to tiny-minded right wing politics. So we would indeed rather see Marr under these circumstances. Yes, the singing is worse and he does sound a bit like Bernard Sumners but there is nothing but good vibes at a Johnny Marr concert, and superlative guitar playing, so we put up with the serviceable singing.
Morrissey has been giving 'controversial' comments that could be perceived as racist since the 1980s. What's changed now? Our daily brainwashing by the media, nothing more. We're taught daily to be more intolerant towards anyone who opposes the media-endorsed status quo nowadays. No rebellious thought allowed.

Morrissey receives the daily memo just like everyone else, but like me he rips it up and chucks it in the bin like junk mail.

No, but shedding two thirds of your fan-base between Low in High School (25,000) and California Sun (8,000) does, I'm afraid, very much represent a mass movement, but by all means stay in denial if that's a more comfortable place to be.
Low in High School was promoted with official interviews and TV appearances etc. The covers album wasn't, which is reflected in the sales.

I love Morrissey's solo work post 97 and some from '04 to '09, but I'd much rather see Johnny Marr and his band play Smiths songs than Morrissey and his band. Morrissey has the voice, but the band just butchers every Smiths song they play.

So like you, then?
Ha ha, but erroneous I'm afraid. Just because I've only been on this site for 18 months doesn't mean that I haven't been a Moz fan for 14 years.

Most Moz fans don't go near this site. I didn't for years - and I was obviously right.

Only one view is allowed. The opposite of Morrissey's.

Ha ha, but erroneous I'm afraid. Just because I've only been on this site for 18 months doesn't mean that I haven't been a Moz fan for 14 years.

Most Moz fans don't go near this site. I didn't for years - and I was obviously right.

You could always leave and let actual fans of the music discuss things without your nonsense conspiracy theories, overbearing racism and rampant homophobia?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom