Morrissey Central: Blue Rondo A La Turk

BLUE RONDO A LA TURK - Morrissey Central
July 8, 2019

full

"I liked them because they seemed two jumps ahead of everyone else. The mere sight of them suggested big league, but they didn't quite get that far. They were one of the very few groups that the Smiths supported, but there was a scepticism about them being just 'club models' … who asked and got. This was said also about very early Roxy Music … who appeared to be quite affluent before they'd even had a hit. With Blue Rondo, again, you suspected that they were given all of their fantastic suits for free whilst the rest of us had to dream of being able to buy SOMETHING that didn't look TOO abysmal. The main electric spark was their dancing which was very virile and athletic … and even though they came from the Blitz/Billy's scene they seemed like supermale prizefighters or nightclub heavies … deep-chested vocals, narrow-hipped, and very much a man's, man's, man's, man's world. I don't think a sudden tussle would trouble them in the least. But their songs were not about the curves of seductive women - or even about women … as if women might even lack some essential excitement. It's a safe bet that they couldn't stand the Smiths … me singing about not even a glimmer of adventure sex. But that was 1982 or, for me, 1947. Their companion Robert Elms described me as "Ena Sharples". I was actually flattered because Violet Carson, I thought, was extremely funny. You know how comedians or comic actors think that if they show lots of teeth people will think they're saying something hilarious … when of course they aren't? Well, Violet Carson kept her teeth well hidden. Maybe she had none? How did I get from Blue Rondo a la Turk to Violet Carson?
Oh. Well, Blue Rondo were a London band … which was obvious to us because they actually had shoes. I don't think their songs were as good as ours, but our shoes weren't as good as theirs, so, there we are.
They quickly went away and didn't return. I don't know if it's even possible to find their music anymore, but it certainly wouldn't hurt the ear. I think some of Blue Rondo were from the West Indies whereas of course all of the Smiths were born at the Manchester Scabies & Gripe Maternity Hospital."

Morrissey 7 July 2019, talking to himself (for … what choice?)

* sorry, I have no idea who took the above photograph.

Amusing musings from Moz about the first Smiths-support act.

Note posted by an anonymous person:

Actually, it was the other way around. The Smiths supported them. It was their first live show ever on 4 October 1982 at the Ritz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orwell warned us about labels that are applied for no other reason than to demonize somebody for telling the truth. So the fact you use them so liberally (pardon the pun) makes you a true non-thinker and anti-intellectual.

Pat yourself on the head. The elite love slaves like you.
Yes I'm pretty stupid but it's not that hard to figure out the underlying thought process in your posts.

Kylier, this is awesome. I can see you have improved on your allocated 15 minute foreigner research internet time to 30 minutes to pull this one. A Mexican-Brittish band? Dude awesome. Well, you are killing two bullfighters with one stone. Mporium uk sales up 90% in one day and Meximorrissey have sold out all their gigs in Texas and Chicago (we get a 75% stipend for every ticket sold). Of course you get The California Son's Dodger tickets for tonight.

P.S.
The California Son's Nike Air Morrissey's came in today. Can you pick them up at the Foot Locker at the Beverly Center? He's got a game tonight down at the Redondo Beach courts and he's playing Flea's team, so he really wants to win!

Morrissey will never retract the truth.

In fact he will go on to enlighten us even more.

Which will make you stamp your feet in tears.

While bringing me endless joy and delight.

I'm picturing so many tears that the stamping feet becomes like a kid stomping in puddles.

This band is fascinating... but I'm honestly wondering what Morrissey would have to say about The Housemartins and Curiosity Killed the Cat. Any thoughts? For the record, I can't imagine The Smiths opening for Sisters of Mercy.

Moz loved the Housemartins. Quoted as saying the world was a sadder place without them when they split.

I've never heard Moz speak on Curiosity, I can't imagine he'd be complimentary, there was next to nothing to them.

What does Morrissey mean by "even though they came from the Blitz/Billy's scene"?
Just guessing by the context, isn't it about how they appear macho but came from a scene where you might not expect that? I imagine those are the names of two clubs but I don't know.
I want to know about how 1982 was 1947 for Morrissey. I'm wondering if it has something to do with his date of birth and the end of The Smiths being another sort of "birth."

This band is fascinating... but I'm honestly wondering what Morrissey would have to say about The Housemartins and Curiosity Killed the Cat. Any thoughts? For the record, I can't imagine The Smiths opening for Sisters of Mercy.
I think moz has said his bit on the housemartins over the years . The smiths were compared to housemartins in the press for a couple of years.. anyone remember the Thompson twins???went to see Tom Bailey last year only waited 30 years to do so, and wort the wait. He had an album out last year called science fiction, it’s a real pop album with his usual blend of tunes that stay in your brain for a day or two

Morrissey has been giving 'controversial' comments that could be perceived as racist since the 1980s. What's changed now? Our daily brainwashing by the media, nothing more. We're taught daily to be more intolerant towards anyone who opposes the media-endorsed status quo nowadays. No rebellious thought allowed.

Morrissey receives the daily memo just like everyone else, but like me he rips it up and chucks it in the bin like junk mail.

It's not the "media", it's social media. Each person speaking their mind, parroting other's ideas, every person has a platform now - that's what's changed. Things get around lightning fast. If someone says "Morrissey is a racist. We stan Johnny Marr" on Twitter - that's enough. No one looks deeper than that and it's gone way viral, so much so that the Morrissey "brand" has probably been damaged for good. Don't underestimate Twitter, it got the current U.S. "President" elected.

Just guessing by the context, isn't it about how they appear macho but came from a scene where you might not expect that? I imagine those are the names of two clubs but I don't know.
I want to know about how 1982 was 1947 for Morrissey. I'm wondering if it has something to do with his date of birth and the end of The Smiths being another sort of "birth."
Billy's and the Blitz were club nights in London's Soho run by Steve Strange of the group Visage in the early 80s. Very 'new romantic' in style with a strict 'cool' code of entry at the door. Only glamorous and outlandish styles allowed in. Boy George worked in the cloakroom. Spandau Ballet played their first gig there.

Last edited:
It's not the "media", it's social media. Each person speaking their mind, parroting other's ideas, every person has a platform now - that's what's changed. Things get around lightning fast. If someone says "Morrissey is a racist. We stan Johnny Marr" on Twitter - that's enough. No one looks deeper than that and it's gone way viral, so much so that the Morrissey "brand" has probably been damaged for good. Don't underestimate Twitter, it got the current U.S. "President" elected.
Has anyone seen the video for the queen is dead, I think by derek jarmain ( pros spelt his name wrong) at the beginning it shows a young lad with a bucket of paint writing on a wall, the slogan .... local jobs for local people,,,. If I’m correct with this, and I don’t remember any controversy over this at the time, would that statement be acceptable today?? And does this make ALL the smiths racist???

Has anyone seen the video for the queen is dead, I think by derek jarmain ( pros spelt his name wrong) at the beginning it shows a young lad with a bucket of paint writing on a wall, the slogan .... local jobs for local people,,,. If I’m correct with this, and I don’t remember any controversy over this at the time, would that statement be acceptable today?? And does this make ALL the smiths racist???
The thing is, we're supposed to adjust our thinking to whatever is the official specified approved thought of the current time, which is disseminated from the elite and down through the media in a daily semi-surreptitious feed. And to bend or change our thoughts and opinions accordingly whenever need be.

So truly intelligent people who ignore these memos can find themselves in a bit of a pickle, when age-old truth clashes with whatever happens to be the current truth at any given time.

This applies to terminology also. For example, half caste is currently out and mixed race is in apparently (break the rule and you're a racist) - if you're interested in tacitly enforced 'social ratings' - which I am not.

The thing is, we're supposed to adjust our thinking to whatever is the official specified approved thought of the current time, which is disseminated from the elite and down through the media in a daily semi-surreptitious feed. And to bend or change our thoughts and opinions accordingly whenever need be.

So truly intelligent people who ignore these memos can find themselves in a bit of a pickle, when age-old truth clashes with whatever happens to be the current truth at any given time.

This applies to terminology also. For example, half caste is currently out and mixed race is in apparently (break the rule and you're a racist) - if you're interested in tacitly enforced 'social ratings' - which I am not.
Would you like some Cumberland sausage( vegan of course)

If he ever writes another book I want it to be this. A review or critique of the music movies tv art books he loves

The correct spelling is 'Derek Jarman' - one of the great English film-makers, who died of AIDS in 1994. Watch out for a very young Dexter Fletcher in Jarman's 'Caravaggio', who has gone on to direct movies like 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and 'Rocketman'.

Back
Top Bottom