Morrissey Central: Blue Rondo A La Turk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thewlis, Jul 8, 2019.

By Thewlis on Jul 8, 2019 at 10:11 AM
  1. Thewlis

Thewlis Junior Member

BLUE RONDO A LA TURK - Morrissey Central
    July 8, 2019

[​IMG]

"I liked them because they seemed two jumps ahead of everyone else. The mere sight of them suggested big league, but they didn't quite get that far. They were one of the very few groups that the Smiths supported, but there was a scepticism about them being just 'club models' … who asked and got. This was said also about very early Roxy Music … who appeared to be quite affluent before they'd even had a hit. With Blue Rondo, again, you suspected that they were given all of their fantastic suits for free whilst the rest of us had to dream of being able to buy SOMETHING that didn't look TOO abysmal. The main electric spark was their dancing which was very virile and athletic … and even though they came from the Blitz/Billy's scene they seemed like supermale prizefighters or nightclub heavies … deep-chested vocals, narrow-hipped, and very much a man's, man's, man's, man's world. I don't think a sudden tussle would trouble them in the least. But their songs were not about the curves of seductive women - or even about women … as if women might even lack some essential excitement. It's a safe bet that they couldn't stand the Smiths … me singing about not even a glimmer of adventure sex. But that was 1982 or, for me, 1947. Their companion Robert Elms described me as "Ena Sharples". I was actually flattered because Violet Carson, I thought, was extremely funny. You know how comedians or comic actors think that if they show lots of teeth people will think they're saying something hilarious … when of course they aren't? Well, Violet Carson kept her teeth well hidden. Maybe she had none? How did I get from Blue Rondo a la Turk to Violet Carson?
    Oh. Well, Blue Rondo were a London band … which was obvious to us because they actually had shoes. I don't think their songs were as good as ours, but our shoes weren't as good as theirs, so, there we are.
    They quickly went away and didn't return. I don't know if it's even possible to find their music anymore, but it certainly wouldn't hurt the ear. I think some of Blue Rondo were from the West Indies whereas of course all of the Smiths were born at the Manchester Scabies & Gripe Maternity Hospital."

Morrissey 7 July 2019, talking to himself (for … what choice?)

* sorry, I have no idea who took the above photograph.

Amusing musings from Moz about the first Smiths-support act.

Note posted by an anonymous person:

Actually, it was the other way around. The Smiths supported them. It was their first live show ever on 4 October 1982 at the Ritz.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 12
    • Funny Funny x 3

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thewlis, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      You're right. Cold to the touch.
    2. Whizz Kid
      Whizz Kid
      OK, unwilling and therefore incapable. This hasn't got to do with his art. Unless you're saying his PR is some sort of performance art? Like Andy Kaufman?
      • Insightful Insightful x 1
    3. conchrisoulis
      conchrisoulis
      The Blue Rondo A La Turk gig was covered in detail in TALES OF THE SMITHS (now in print from Omnibus Press)!
      You can read the webcomic from back in 2014 here:

[​IMG]
      • Like Like x 6
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. gashonthenail
      gashonthenail
      Ah, now there's a blast from the past. I remember my sister playing their debut album in her bedroom - I must have been about 11 or 12 at the time and was starting to get interested in the music my older sister was playing, 'cause we all want to grow up when we're that age. Blue Rondo had a bit of a 'New Romantic' feel about them - nice clothes, nice shoes, and nice hair cuts. Their music was a strange combination of pop and salsa - some of them went on to form Matt Bianco. My sister was never a big fan of the Smiths - but I do remember she loved Soft Cell around that time. Their first album Non-stop Erotic Cabaret - was an eye-opener for any 11 or 12 year old boy, and still one of my favourites.
      • Like Like x 4
    5. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      The main issue is control. We have seen time and time again that he prefers to vet interviews by e-mail, or in the old days, fax, so he can control the exchanges. In one to ones, like the Spiegel comments he said never happened, until he was shown to be a liar by having the tape released, he more often than not can't help himself. and says what he actually means, rather then the spun version controlled via e-mail.
      • Troll Troll x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Redundant Redundant x 2
    6. Anonymous
      Anonymous

Cheers!
      • Like Like x 1
    7. gordyboy9
      gordyboy9
      stock Aitken and waterman reared their ugly heads and the eighties music wise was over.
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      A stunning LP that remains fresh and relevant
      • Like Like x 3
    9. Thewlis
      Thewlis
      No, because of the lyrics I just quoted. Never being sorry, never looking back, making it on his own terms are all part of his success. Playing the game isn't. So there is no way back for him, and neither would he want one.
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Chart-wise, I'd agree that 'pop' music became even more commercial than it had ever been before. What was played on radio and tv was mostly shite. But ... there were decent DJs, radio shows, tv programmes that blossomed. And then we had the glorious misnomer c86! Fantastic!
    11. Amy
      Amy
      Given that Morrissey usually dismisses the Smiths as a mere stepping stone to his great solo career, this is an interesting appeal to nostalgia about their very early days. If I was cynical I would say it was an attempt to pull Johnny on side.
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      Not. A. Chance. He has alienated Marr. The Smiths will never ever reform. Given that the real reason he wished Joyce '...the very worst for the rest of his life.' had less to do with the court case and more to do that he'd been jilted. The Smiths are over. He may be getting nostalgic, but he brought the petrol and matches to all the bridges he's burned.
      • Like Like x 4
      • Redundant Redundant x 2
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
      • Troll Troll x 1
    13. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Why compromise his art?
      Perhaps so that one day he can continue his art again, e.g. by playing concerts in his home country. He won't be able to do that ever again, unless we get a groveling apology for his frighteningly idiotic and ignorant behaviour/comments. No apology, and no retraction of support for the party 'For Bigots', and it's all over, including his art.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    14. vegan cro spirit 444
      vegan cro spirit 444
      o_O

Moz has said for years he has no interest in having :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: in his band. specially now that his fingers
      at faltering when paying the silly guitar riff he plays on every song.:censored:
      DramaJ and his fellow lawnmowers will have to continue to struggle for a couple of quid.
      Mini tiny gigs with a couple of opening slots at festivals,which they get on Moz rep. All these
      lawnmower cucks are still directly or indirectly feeding off Moz.
      the cucks.:head-smack: no sense or talent in them.:yum:
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. drag me down
      drag me down
      I sometimes think it would be more productive to look at the man rather than what he says. Anyone who heard his earlier output would gather that he's not normal. I don't honestly think he's had a conversation with anyone in his life. He's been elevated to a position where he can say what he wants. It needs to be tempered with what, hopefully, we all know he is. Were we not listening to those lyrics?
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Amy
      Amy
      I wasn't referring to a Smiths reunion. It's just clear to me that Morrissey is watching the media furore at the moment very closely, scanning for the smallest scraps of support, reading what Bragg and his 80s contemporaries have to say.

Even if Johnny said, "I'll never agree with him, but I'm not taking part in this public crucifixion either" - I think that would mean the world. I'm not giving your Joyce nonsense airtime.
      • Like Like x 2
      • Interesting Interesting x 2
    17. Thewlis
      Thewlis
      My thoughts exactly! And let's not forget that both Joyce and Rourke have already given him these scraps by publicly saying he's not a racist. The only one missing is Marr, and I for one cannot understand why it is so hard for Marr to say these words. It must hurt him too. Is he afraid of the consequences?
      • Like Like x 2
    18. Whizz Kid
      Whizz Kid
      If anyone really knew Morrissey, it was Marr. Maybe it's better Marr keep silent on what he knows. Lord knows he's kept silent on so many things about the Smiths, even when it cast himself in a bad light.
    19. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      I know you weren't referring to a Smiths reunion.

And it's not nonsense about Joyce. It's the truth. In time you will see I'm right.
      • Dislike Dislike x 2
      • Interesting Interesting x 2
      • Troll Troll x 2
    20. gashonthenail
      gashonthenail
      Isn't that pretty much what Johnny has said?
      • Like Like x 1