Morrissey Can't Write Decent Lyrics Anymore

L

LogieBaird

Sad but true. The gulf between the poetic incisiveness of 'Viva Hate' and You Are The Quarry' (even the titles speak volumes)is both vast and depressing.

I guess its a lifestyle thing (the old money and luxury = less focus on developing the art, but the old man's become mentally more and more flaccid as the years have passed.

The new album is stuffed with lines that seem tossed off and half-formed. Nothing has any real connection with physicality of everyday existence as I recognise it. What would the Morrissey of 'Viva Hate' have made of 'America is Not The World', for instance? I couldnt give a shit about hamburgers dude. Erm, hello? The war in Iraq? When he does attempt a certain verite approach - 'Come Back To Camden' - its done in such broad, camply cliched brushstrokes that what should have been a quiet,under-the-breath heartbreaker of a song becomes a histrionic shout for attention. Not good.

Anyway, thats my thoughts.

There's a few typos in my original post, for which I apologise, but you should get the point.

Anther criticisms I'd level at the new album is that the production is far too shiny and one-dimensional. There is no depth configured in the mixing to allow for fresh discovery through multiple listens. The Smiths understood the value of this. Morrissey does not, at least anymore. This album is ultimately as calculated as the manufactured art it seeks to dismiss. This wouldn't be so bad if the songs themselves were much cop, but both arrangements and lyrics deflate the package horribly, leaving the proverbial sour taste in the mouth. Like I said, he sings extremely well, but if I want a great voice I'll listen to Nina Simone. The Smiths weren't about studio excellence, per se, they were about using technology to distill texture and spirit. As a fledgling solo artist, Morrissey started off with this modus operandi: 'Viva Hate' isn't a technically well-produced album, but it has a unity of sound that complements the melancholia of the lyrics wonderfully. The only unity I detect in the songs and the production of 'You Are The Quarry'is the purpose to shift units. I come away from the album knowing nothing more than I did going into it, beyond the fact that Morrissey still hates the people he perceives as stabbing him in the back. Well woopee doo. I was hoping for a work of dignity and maturity that scorched the earth that could signal closure on the car-crash of his solo past without resorting to such headline-grabbing tactics. I wanted a 'Blood On The Tracks', but instead we seem to have been handed a 'Self Portrait'. Of the artist as a bankrupt force.

His lyrics are a lot more honest than they were in the Smiths. Back then he was just observing the world and not taking part in it, none of the songs were about him they were all stoires of people he knew, your telling me that gives you the emotion you require?

End of the day his lyrics are still better than anything we could write.

Shut Up Now.

> There's a few typos in my original post, for which I apologise, but you
> should get the point.

You have one the most self-indulgent writing styles I have ever seen. In fact, I believe that you truly enjoy the album, but felt the desire to reassure yourself of your literacy. What better way to do than through a critique? You have reminded me what I hate most about music journalism: Horrible writing.

P.S. Anyone who feels the need to apologize for obvious typos on the Internet, is most likely psychotic, or in desperate need of sex (not necessarily in that order).

P.P.S. Is this Johnny Rogan?

P.P.P.S. If I've convinced you to kill yourself, I am deeply sorry.

rubbish, with respect

Do you actually think "America is not the world" is about hamburgers? If so, I'd say the problem is in your inability to understand the lyrics to "Quarry" rather than morrissey's lyrics per se.

Lyrically, this album is his finest since the breakup of the Smiths. "Viva Hate" was great, but subsequent albums became more and more formulaic and less memorable until "Maldjusted" when the music was a slight let-down. Finally, he's rediscovered his lyrical genius, but it seems some of his post-Vauxhall fans aren't able to understand them

Your comments about Camden are ludicrous - all of Morrissey's heartbreaker songs have been melodramatic. That's the whole point. Dear God, I mean do you listen to "Last Night I dreamt" and think, "Oh, how understated?!"

> Sad but true. The gulf between the poetic incisiveness of 'Viva Hate' and
> You Are The Quarry' (even the titles speak volumes)is both vast and
> depressing.

> I guess its a lifestyle thing (the old money and luxury = less focus on
> developing the art, but the old man's become mentally more and more
> flaccid as the years have passed.

> The new album is stuffed with lines that seem tossed off and half-formed.
> Nothing has any real connection with physicality of everyday existence as
> I recognise it. What would the Morrissey of 'Viva Hate' have made of
> 'America is Not The World', for instance? I couldnt give a shit about
> hamburgers dude. Erm, hello? The war in Iraq? When he does attempt a
> certain verite approach - 'Come Back To Camden' - its done in such broad,
> camply cliched brushstrokes that what should have been a
> quiet,under-the-breath heartbreaker of a song becomes a histrionic shout
> for attention. Not good.

> Anyway, thats my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom