Morrissey cancelled all forthcoming interviews

Re: OMG, Morrissey cancelled all forthcoming interviews

Well, something that occurred to me last night is this - my chances of getting that framed acetate with a personal message have just gone up the swannee, because if he's not doing any more promotional work for the album, there's no way he'll be signing it. The winner may get it, but it won't be signed or have a personal message.

P.

P.S One other thing that occurs to me is that the statement specifically says no more Bona Drag promotion work. The message to me is that he's got better things to do with his time.

Last edited:

Maybe he's sick that some of his fans want him to be "fun" and not talk about tedious animal rights and come off as a buffoon. We really don't listen to the same Morrissey.

Well, as someone who gave up eating meat partly due to Meat Is Murder, I’ve had a lot of time for his animal rights views in the past. But he’s seriously lost the plot in recent times culminating in that utterly ludicrous comment about the Chinese.
Morrissey interviews used to be dazzling, insightful, sharp-witted things that you could read time and time again. Check them out – any one of them up to the early/mid-90’s. They have now become almost uniformly dreary, predictable and joyless, whereas once he was the wittiest pop star on the block, ‘the world’s greatest interview’ no less.
You give the impression of being completely uncritical when it comes to Morrissey, and get upset when people like me and Amy dare to suggest he’s not the greatest human being that ever lived.
There are other forums where negativity towards Morrissey is not allowed (or is at least strongly discouraged).

I'm here because I'm clinging on to the hope that he will become interesting and insightful again; that he might release something worth listening to, that he's just in a 'lull' at the moment and that explains his general curmudgeonly whining and snapping. I miss Morrissey when he had a sense of humour and seemed to actually care about his music and his audience.
I don't understand why you assume any of this, when you see him through the imperfect lens of the media anyway - they decide what you see of him, they have their own agenda, and if it's the tabloids, it's like walking into a room where the loudest voice is the only one you can hear. It's not usually expressing the view of the majority, generally it isn't, it's the voice of the bully who gets everything wrong. (And he assumes that everyone agrees with him, becausse they don't contradict.)

What you get to hear about Morrissey will always have someone else's slant and stamp on it, apart from the actual product, the music. Is it any wonder he pulls out of publicity when everything is agonized over like this? When it really doesn't matter. A person should not have to be a product. I know it's a double-edged sword, without becoming the product you can't promote the product and you have to become the product when you play live, but at least you have artistic control and I think a person can and should have a right to say that they don't want to be the product any more, where they have so little control, especially with promotion. It's not carved in stone, anyway, is it? It shouldn't have to be carved in stone, when it's just promotion.

I always notice that fan sites are far more critical of the object of their affection than more casual but well-disposed observers.

I don't think Morrissey's standing is in any danger whatsoever. He can rest on his laurels as much as he wants. He doesn't ever have to do another minute of promotion, as far as I'm concerned, his reputation is up there and I don't think it will ever be in danger, because of the quality of the body of work, which is unique and important musically, it's going to remain important in ways that most very successful bands can't even get close to, because there is so much genuine originality and artistic worth.
Lady Gaga's stuff will be forgotten long before Morrissey's. (Because musically, it's generic, even though it is very good, and visualy she's dependant on other designers, even though she uses that very well. I do think she is good, but she won't leave anything important behind her.)

Morrissey's work was never generic, it was/is specific, unique and particular. Things are remembered from Morrissey songs and those things encapsulate a feeling of a time but they also encapsulate an emotion and more complicated things that are timeless, so some of these songs will and have already transcended their time period, and ...

So I ran out of things to say.)

I suppose I don't understsand why you worry so much about things that don't seem to matter, in the big picture. There is nothing tenuous about Morrissey's standing in the world of serious, thinking-person's music. That is my opinion.

Well, as someone who gave up eating meat partly due to Meat Is Murder, I’ve had a lot of time for his animal rights views in the past. But he’s seriously lost the plot in recent times culminating in that utterly ludicrous comment about the Chinese.
Morrissey interviews used to be dazzling, insightful, sharp-witted things that you could read time and time again. Check them out – any one of them up to the early/mid-90’s. They have now become almost uniformly dreary, predictable and joyless, whereas once he was the wittiest pop star on the block, ‘the world’s greatest interview’ no less.
You give the impression of being completely uncritical when it comes to Morrissey, and get upset when people like me and Amy dare to suggest he’s not the greatest human being that ever lived.
There are other forums where negativity towards Morrissey is not allowed (or is at least strongly discouraged).

Your negativity would be fine but I just don't think you get it. The comment about China was not out of character. You called my opinion a defense. Who was I defending him from? You? Hardly. He's said everything you need to hear. "I have spent my whole life in ruins because of people who were nice. If you don't like me don't look at me. But you're still here because all you need is me."

I'm here because I'm clinging on to the hope that he will become interesting and insightful again; that he might release something worth listening to, that he's just in a 'lull' at the moment and that explains his general curmudgeonly whining and snapping. I miss Morrissey when he had a sense of humour and seemed to actually care about his music and his audience.

I'm not sure he ever cared about his "audience." I think he's passionate about his music. I'm glad you are here anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well there goes another record deal up the Swanny so that autobiography and a Morrissey/ Marr reunion seem the only routes left to him. Oh and maybe a column in the Mail On Sunday.

All these cancellations, diva fits and outrageous comments may have all added to his aura at the height of the Smiths and his solo career but 20+ years on its just "devious, truculent and unreliable" behaviour. Not really. Kudos to him for pulling out of promoting a record when his hearts not in it. Look forwards, not backwards.

what do you actually base this on ?

I don't really see the fuss about him cancelling a few interviews. It's not like he's coming round your house to piss on your cat.

If he really said he isn't doing them because he doesn't want to promote the re-issue anymore then that's an improvement. I have much more respect for him when he says 'I'm not doing that cos I can't be arsed' than when he makes up some lame excuse like flu or something.

I don't mind re-issues, if you don't want it don't buy it but I wish he'd stop using that butt ugly gothic 'gangster' font, ruins the whole thing.

exactly

I agree with whoever said they don't understand why his people book him on these sort of engagements. It's obvious they scare him silly and he chickens out at the last minute.

I don't understand why you assume any of this, when you see him through the imperfect lens of the media anyway - they decide what you see of him, they have their own agenda, and if it's the tabloids, it's like walking into a room where the loudest voice is the only one you can hear. It's not usually expressing the view of the majority, generally it isn't, it's the voice of the bully who gets everything wrong. (And he assumes that everyone agrees with him, becausse they don't contradict.)

What you get to hear about Morrissey will always have someone else's slant and stamp on it, apart from the actual product, the music. Is it any wonder he pulls out of publicity when everything is agonized over like this? When it really doesn't matter. A person should not have to be a product. I know it's a double-edged sword, without becoming the product you can't promote the product and you have to become the product when you play live, but at least you have artistic control and I think a person can and should have a right to say that they don't want to be the product any more, where they have so little control, especially with promotion. It's not carved in stone, anyway, is it? It shouldn't have to be carved in stone, when it's just promotion.

This is very true. All that we know of any public figure is already mediated by spin, editing and all manner of other media manipulation. It is part of what is so exhausting and corrosive about fame. It appears that the world has gone mad, and you are a calm point in the center of a vortex of insanity. The trick is, of course, to always keep your head while all around are losing theirs. It was poor Kurt Cobain who said "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not," and I bet Morrissey can relate to that all too well.

If I may attempt to extract some morsel of the real man from the jaws of the media beast, I would say that Morrissey seemed particularly sick of it all throughout the last tour, and his mood has not improved all that much since. Not just the promotional aspects, but the "persona" as well, was visibly strained. I don't know where he still gets the energy for any of it, to be honest. It's a testament to his seemingly invincible will that he persists.

That being said, Morrissey still has everyone's ear: his words still cause a stir, and people still care what he has to say. Having thrown a bomblet recently, and having squarely hit a target, I think it provided a real opportunity to discuss the important issues at hand, and make another attempt to cut through the lingering media madness.

As for fans being upset with him - he helped create this singularly dysfunctional relationship many years ago. I think the fan who is disappointed is in some ways more engaged than the fan who says "oh well, who cares?" Morrissey encouraged a real emotional engagement, and I think his more critical fans are reacting to that. All the "oh, poor baby" comments are no more realistic or "constructive" than the "C'mon Moz, get it in gear" comments. Goodness knows Morrissey doesn't care about most (if not all) of the chatter one bit.

Why don't you two just f- off out of here. You don't even know his reason for cancelling.

No need to be such a c*** about it. People are entitled to an opinion.

Personally, I think he's just took his ball and gone home, plain and simple, diva style. Just because he can.

I feel he just hasn't got the heart for wading through a media shitstorm in light of his own self-constructed controversy.

Begs the question, if he can make the bed and not lie in it, why make it in the first f***ing place?

Everyone here knows he's unpredictable.
(Hell, that judge was right about him being "unreliable" that's for sure!)

Come on, nowadays, buying a ticket for a Moz gig is a real 50/50 gamble as to whether you'll actually get to see him. It's a sorry f***ing state of affairs and it's really quite sad he's grown into this quite unlikeable character. I find it very tough to defend him to my friends anymore when they take shots at him.

I'm not even the sort of idiot who thinks celebrities 'owe' their fans anything, it just saddens me to see the great man so fallen and, well, bitter.

How long until he realises he's alienating a great deal of his fans? *Waits for some self righteous c*** to post about 'true' fans etc*

Last edited:

Let's put it this way: Moz is not well to attend tv programmes, radio interviews so decides to go back to see his mum in order to recover. It may well be a coincidence BUT it can be well true. He is not well , end of story. No need, IMHO, to start talking about all sort of things for days and weeks..In the end, if he has done it there must be a TRUE reason behind it all. He knows we d love to see him anytime..:nopity:
Cheers Moz

The thing is, we know so little. Do we know that he made this bed but wouldn't lie in it? All we know is that the bed was made, by someone - perhaps that person only got a vague agreement from Morrissey in the first place. pehaps someone committed him to more things than he agreed to, as a way of forcing him into them, and it didn't work.

I'm not saying these things happened, but we can't assume they didn't. You cant assume anything about this.

As for fans being upset with him - he helped create this singularly dysfunctional relationship many years ago. I think the fan who is disappointed is in some ways more engaged than the fan who says "oh well, who cares?" Morrissey encouraged a real emotional engagement, and I think his more critical fans are reacting to that.
Of course. It's perfectly human and understandable.

Looks like Morrissey was due to do another Front Row interview on Radio 4 as well.http://twitter.com/johnwilson14

So that is 5 cancellations. If he had only done the one i would have been quite happy.

now that one is a loss, :mad:
such a good intelligent interviewer. (for a change)

you know most of us will forgive him in a couple of days.
Roll on the next re-re-release.

I agree with you to a certain extent - god knows i've had my disappointments with him. On the other hand, I'd rather be a fan of a flaky maverick than a steady-eddie cardboard-cut-out-c*nt anyday. :confused:

This.

God, I love Morrissey.

And this isn't sarcasm. :guitar:

I agree with you to a certain extent - god knows i've had my disappointments with him. On the other hand, I'd rather be a fan of a flaky maverick than a steady-eddie cardboard-cut-out-c*nt anyday. :confused:

Most definitely! :thumb:

Despite it being incredibly sad, I also find it abhorrent that you have those who feel he has somehow let them down. It was a series of interviews that you were not invited to attend nor were you asked to part with your hard earned money to attend. If it was, as it has been in the past with many others and cancelled concerts, I would be upset but being that I absolutely love the man and have great concern for his current health and music situation, I’d learn to forgive. In those types of situations. To bemoan him not wishing to take part in a few puff pieces to fulfil yet another one of your nights spent drinking gin from a rose tinted glass, is not only extremely ridiculous but says more about you as a person that it does for him cancelling.

Really though, who could blame him for not wishing to promote an album he quite clearly didn’t want to re-release; to sit in the same types of interviews that have haunted him throughout his career and in doing so, having to answer the same types of questions that come from the mouths of those who have never heard a Morrissey record. Let’s just hope that he’s well and take kindness also in that we don’t have to go through the embarrassing and unnecessary defence of him again. Small mercies, etc…

Really though, who could blame him for not wishing to promote an album he quite clearly didn’t want to re-release; to sit in the same types of interviews that have haunted him throughout his career and in doing so, having to answer the same types of questions that come from the mouths of those who have never heard a Morrissey record. Let’s just hope that he’s well and take kindness also in that we don’t have to go through the embarrassing and unnecessary defence of him again. Small mercies, etc…

then perhaps its time the interviewers learned to be a bit less predictable and a bit more genuinely interested in their subject.
(hence why another Front Row interview would be fab)

do I hope for too much? maybe so, but i'm not ready to say 'all my hope is gone' :)

I don't think it's a big deal really. Let's be honest nothing of interest has come out of a Morrissey interview for a long time. It's the normal evasive answers which we've all heard many times before. The only thing which could happen would be a so called racist slur which will then be blown up out of proportions by the main stream media.

And having a so called fan interview him seems to be a fate worse than death. Witness the Simon Armitage shambles or the non event which was the Douglas Coupland interview which preceded the release of ROTT.

Let's hope there is something juicy in the pipeline as at the moment it's like being a Morrissey fan in the late nineties ie all rereleases and rehashes and no new material.

Tags
that's life
Back
Top Bottom