Morrissey canceled seven "proposed live dates" in Italy in Sep. due to incident - SER/Rolling Stone

Link posted by an anonymous person

Morrissey claims he was held at gunpoint by police officer in Rome - Rolling Stone

Excerpt:

Update: Morrissey canceled seven "proposed live dates" in Italy in September, according to his nephew, photographer Sam Esty Rayner. "Obviously, with psychopaths like this on the loose, it is not safe for me to be in Italy," the singer said, per his nephew.

Morrissey claimed that a police officer in Rome threatened him with a gun in a Facebook post jointly authored by Rayner. The singer described the altercation as a "deliberate act of terror."

Rayner confirmed the validity of Morrissey's quotes to Rolling Stone.

The Rome police department did not respond to Rolling Stone's request for comment.

Related items:

Last edited:
i feel like morrissey is doing this on principal (surely he doesnt really fear another incident like this will occur. what would be the chances?), sacrificing his concerts to draw attention to and make an example of how police should not behave. that cop really needs to explain himself.

Not only that cop, he is part of an institution. The whole institution has to explain the situation.
I'm truly sorry for Morrissey, his time in Rome was ruined by this incident, and for the lots of italian fans.

Man up Mozzer ya big girl's blouse , you should have kicked the copper in the crotch dear instead of scampering away like a wet rat.

Not only that cop, he is part of an institution. The whole institution has to explain the situation.
I'm truly sorry for Morrissey, his time in Rome was ruined by this incident, and for the lots of italian fans.
surely they will, right?? they must!
yeah, it is a shame when you look on the pictures of him looking so happy with his fans before this happened. im sure it was an isolated incident though and wouldnt happen again (although of course, a statement from the police department as well as action taken against the officer would be helpful in ascertaining that).

Dear Morrissey,

Please come back to Canada. As the rest of the world shuns you, you'll always have a place at my little venue. Don't let the haters get you down. There a loads of fans who'd love to hear your regurgated drivel here at Club Baby Seal.

UPDATE: Morrissey canceled seven "proposed live dates" in Italy in September, according to his nephew, photographer Sam Esty Rayner. "Obviously, with psychopaths like this on the loose, it is not safe for me to be in Italy," the singer said, per his nephew.

Please, it's petty retribution plain and simple. So, he's going to the punish the Italian fans for the actions of one bumbling cop? We don't even really know what happened yet ... where is the video?

Last edited:
What is it with Moz and safety?

First he announces that he doesn't feel safe on stage in Warsaw after this (in)famous incident in 2014. Then he tells Larry King in 2015 that the interview is okay because he feels quite safe (no reason why he shouldn't. And now this.

So he's cancelled Hollywood Bowl, and several gigs in Italy already, and the tour hasn't even been announced yet? Even by Morrissey's standards, this is taking things to a new level. :p

Very far indeed.
Where is the video? It might not be a policeman , probably a private car park assistant and it is less attractive , bad publicity for the new record

Absolutely pathetic. This could have happened pretty much anywhere in the world - except perhaps the England he rarely graces - and certainly is not at all unusual in any Latin American country (where much worse behaviour is a daily practice on the part of the police). To punish everyone in Italy is just pure prima donna behaviour. An 'act of terror' - please!

Come to Greece, Moz. The Greeks are gentle and treat their tourists well.

We'll drink cocktails and eat baklava. There are some fine looking men there, too.

This might not have to do with Morrissey at all, but last 2 days their been huge Police undercover action against [possible] terrorist, in Italy and Spain, so this police officer might've been a traffic cop, and given orders to have some police on the street. This is one of most insane and frightened accident I've read, as long as I follow the M in Manchester, otoh , I praise Morrissey for keeping calm , and not impressed, and walked away, good there were lots of people around.

Ciao Italy

Morrissey. I love your music. And the impact you've had on my life.

But you let your true self come out when something like this happens (and that is assuming it did).

NOBODY should ever be treated the way you were treated if it did in fact go down like that. NOBODY.

But these are the facts we do know:

1) This happens to people every single day all over the world.
2) You write songs about such tough guys like the Kray twins and put Charles Richardson in your CD sleeve; but when faced with danger, you cry and whine. What would your 'idols' have done in a situation like this? Not what you did (which by the way, was the proper thing to do, never escalate the situation).
3) You write songs like 'Ganglord', and when that reality actually hits home, you act surprised.

NOBODY should be treated the way you were treated. It disgusting, and bullying at it's near worst.

But will the real Morrissey please stand up?

Be safe all.....

It's hard to believe Roman police department did not respond to a press request for comments about the abuse of a person made by a policeman, no matter who the abused person is. Are they a true democratic republic, as they want to make us to believe? What about publicity of government acts, one of the pillars of the republican system? Or should we say pseudo-republic under the dominance of foreign interests and mafia power? Where is the correct functioning of legal institutions? Who do the officers of the government have to answer for? Not the people, it is obvious. They should be SUED immediatly. The chief of the police should resign now unless he gives proper explanations about the acts of his subordinate and explains with the utmost detail the legal proceedings of policemen in the streets and the rights of the visitors in the city. This is serious. I love Italy, the people, the history and the culture. My roots are there. But it's occupied land, like most of Europe and the world, and this is another sign of it. Nobody cares, nobody takes responsibility for their functions. This is jungle law and beasts are winning the battle.
Amanda Knox is the living proof of corrupted Italian judicial system and police.

There's more going on here. The build up to the excuse, swiftly followed by the excuse.
Why would he need an excuse? Were any of these dates even announced? It's all drama, sure, but the facts don't back your theory.
And also I thought your other theory was that all he cares about is money. So your theories seem to contradict each other. They can't both be true. If there even were any dates planned to begin with cancelling them won't make him any money.
What it will do, and what this whole incident does, is get people talking about him. That is his motivation. As soon as you look at it that way a lot of decisions that hurt his career and cost him, potentially, a lot of money, all make sense, in a way. As much as that sort of logic can make sense.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom