Morrissey buying a "breakfast sausage" at Seven - Eleven?

he has said that, he doesn't eat flesh many times. I believe him.

Last edited:
Re: Morrissey buying a "breakfast sausage"? at 7/11?

I've forgotten the name - I'll pop him an email and ask.

I agree, I have to see it with my own eyes to be absolutely convinced, but my friend is not a prankster, and he LOVES Morrissey. He also knows a fish when he sees one.

I'd like to believe this is not true (oh the humanity), but the word of a good friend is the closest thing I have to rock-solid (albeit anecdotal) evidence.

What is the world coming to? In a fit of pique, I bought a pair of leather shoes... :rolleyes:

Does this mean Mozipedia is already out of date? :eek:
I have yet to purchase my copy.

I trust you genuinely believe this to be a true account.

Moz eatin' fish! Well, it would be a surprise, but if your friend heard and witnessed this event, and is in pain of excommunication if doing a wind-up.....
photographic evidence would have been conclusive..or maybe not, with photoshop, etc... undecided .....:confused:

I was discussing with colleagues today about what they considered to be a "true" vegetarian diet. Both Veggie and non-veggie agreed that fish was pescetarian (sp?) not true veggie. However, this is not universally accepted, as I have been offered shellfish as a "veggie" option before...

And I must take some of the blame for the shoes...so I'm not the best person to comment on the fish. :blushing:

But Anaesthesine would not lie, either.

Of course she wouldn't. Nor would she stir up damaging gossip about someone she obviously admires. That's why if she trusts her friend, then I can just about go along with her and believe her friend's story.

Like I said, though. Somebody would have talked long before now if Morrissey had a taste for seafood. Unless this was the first fish Morrissey'd eaten since he was a child and her friend happened to witness it, I kinda have to believe that there's been a mix-up somehow.

LuckyLisp.com's writer says that before singing "Meat Is Murder" in Japan, Morrissey said, "Seafood? No. Sealife? Yes! Sushi? (disgusted noise)".

Elsewhere in the Googleverse: remember this, anyone?

From March, 2009

"Andrew Winters - who applied to be Morrissey's valet for a two-week tour of America - claimed the singer pre-orders vegetarian meals for all his roadies and will fire crew members on the spot if they are caught eating meat.

Winter said: "The one overriding rule is the vegetarian one. No burgers from room service, no ham salads. I got the sense even visibly acknowledging the existence of McDonald's would mean instant sacking.

"I asked what the view is on fish. Seafood is sea life, I was informed, so the same rule applies.""

LuckyLisp.com's writer says that before singing "Meat Is Murder" in Japan, Morrissey said, "Seafood? No. Sealife? Yes! Sushi? (disgusted noise)".

From March, 2009

"Andrew Winters - who applied to be Morrissey's valet for a two-week tour of America - claimed the singer pre-orders vegetarian meals for all his roadies and will fire crew members on the spot if they are caught eating meat.

Winter said: "The one overriding rule is the vegetarian one. No burgers from room service, no ham salads. I got the sense even visibly acknowledging the existence of McDonald's would mean instant sacking.

"I asked what the view is on fish. Seafood is sea life, I was informed, so the same rule applies.""

thanks for finding this. I believe in Morrissey and I'm glad I share the same values.

From March, 2009

Thank you very much Worm.

At 19th July Brixton gig there's a French couple in front of me.
The bouncer took away ham sandwich from the woman's bag and said, 'it's Morrissey's order, you aren't allowed to bring any meat product inside the venue'.

The bouncer took away ham sandwich from the woman's bag and said, 'it's Morrissey's order, you aren't allowed to bring any meat product inside the venue'.

Hahaha! Who brings a ham sandwich to a Morrissey gig? :lbf:

You know the bouncer ran around the corner and scarfed the sandwich.

sandwiches

Hahaha! Who brings a ham sandwich to a Morrissey gig? :lbf:

I saw some people were munching sandwiches with meat (mostly ham, chicken) when I was queuing to get in.

Hopefully the woman won't keep ham sandwiches in her bag when she's going to see Morrissey's gig.

It's possible to take quotes, such as

"Something within me triggered the understanding that absolutely nothing matters"...
from Filter magazine...

misquote, wind-up, reliable evidence???

On Jonathan Ross he was talking about the amount of pain fish go through when they're caught.

See the following question he was asked by Peta:

When you introduced Meat Is Murder last night, you opened it by declaring, "Sea life, not sea food." What do you say is your overall message to your admirers?

Please don’t kill anything. These are pathetically basic words but get through your life without killing things and killing animals and dragging animals down, making them pay for your pleasures—they’re mostly trivial pleasures as well—it’s not anything that anybody really needs. We were all raised with that concept that animals are there to be used, but they’re not. It’s just the dreadful industries that do it.

Last edited:
David Cavanagh, Select, April 1993 (Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke )

When he was saying "Meat Is Murder" how many of the band were vegetarians?
Mike: "None of us were. Because you remember when we did it and we were all sat round having a meal in the studio, and we were talking about vegetarianism?"
Andy: "Morrissey made you feel uncomfortable about eating meat in his presence, so in the end you'd do it but you wouldn't enjoy it."
Mike "Well, you know what stopped me from eating it were the lyrics for Meat Is Murder. The actual lyrics. Not so much him saying, What're you eating there?"
Andy: "Then we moved on to fish, didn't we? And we hammered that for about a month, until we couldn't stand the sight of fish any more. Then Mozz said one day, Fish feel pain too. And that was the fish gone."
Mike: "Well, that was my big argument, because you see Mozzer would love his bag of chips, like all good northern lads do. So you know, we'd go into a chippy somewhere and I'd be like, Have a f***in' fish - because I stopped eating meat with Meat Is Murder, I haven't eaten it since..."

Is that the same for you, Andy?
Andy: (sheepishly) "Er... no..."
Mike: (confidentially to Andy) "It's alright, he's not here. (loudly) But anyway we'd go out for a bag of chips and I'd say, Have some fish, come on Mozzer - they don't have no central nervous system, they don't feel pain! You've got to draw the line somewhere. So I drew the line at eating fish. I saw Morrissey only about three weeks ago in Altrincham and he had a brilliant leather jacket on. And I was like, Yer f***in'... trying to rip it off his back. And it was PVC. But it was the best PVC I have ever seen in my life. We sat down and had a pint, had a jar."

Haha. Maybe he was just hungry! Free lunch! :)

EDIT: D'oh! Preggers, you're too quick on the draw.

I trust you genuinely believe this to be a true account.

Moz eatin' fish! Well, it would be a surprise, but if your friend heard and witnessed this event, and is in pain of excommunication if doing a wind-up.....
photographic evidence would have been conclusive..or maybe not, with photoshop, etc... undecided .....:confused:

I was discussing with colleagues today about what they considered to be a "true" vegetarian diet. Both Veggie and non-veggie agreed that fish was pescetarian (sp?) not true veggie. However, this is not universally accepted, as I have been offered shellfish as a "veggie" option before...

And I must take some of the blame for the shoes...so I'm not the best person to comment on the fish. :blushing:

Yes, you can attest to my consternation as the Earth suddenly shifted under my feet.

As for your colleagues, they are correct: fish is flesh, no doubt about it. Being vegetarian means eating plants. Shellfish is right on that line, but it is flesh, nonetheless. Someone who is vegetarian for health reasons could eat shellfish without much guilt, but an ethical vegetarian could never do such a thing without compromising their beliefs. I think there have been one or two threads about the subject here. :rolleyes:

I really love those shoes by the way, I really do. Oh, how I have fallen from grace...

Of course she wouldn't. Nor would she stir up damaging gossip about someone she obviously admires. That's why if she trusts her friend, then I can just about go along with her and believe her friend's story.

Like I said, though. Somebody would have talked long before now if Morrissey had a taste for seafood. Unless this was the first fish Morrissey'd eaten since he was a child and her friend happened to witness it, I kinda have to believe that there's been a mix-up somehow.

Thanks Worm, it's true: I didn't intend to post about this at all, because I didn't want to stir up trouble. This gnawed at me, however, and I thought I'd post something to lighten the load. Then I remembered the rumor posted here (and published somewhere else online) about Morrissey being seen in a steak restaurant. If I remember correctly, Morrissey himself had to speak up and debunk the claim. He doesn't need any more agita.

FYI, another poster, Stan, related the story of a friend of his who managed a club at which Morrissey was playing. His friend said that Morrissey ordered the fish and chips. There was much ringing of hands over this story, but it disappeared from the front page quickly enough.

Anyway, I just emailed my friend, and I'll get back to this thread with any and all developments.

Honestly, it's not like there aren't more important things going on in this world, and yet I still care enough to want Morrissey to be the uncompromising, unreasonable, hardcore ethical vegetarian I've always believed him to be. It's silly, I know.

These few reported occasions of straying from no less than Morrisseyan values, are hard to believe. Damn, what to think! Generally I aim to be vegetarian but am not always. I desist from claiming vegetarianism as my final constant position on food but I would argue the merits of the vegetarian diet - and there really are so many merits - anytime. I understand that old habits die hard, and an aroma, a remembered taste, can just suddenly overcome someone, like an addictive craving. To me there is some relativity about the approach, and it is a good thing for anyone even if there are not perfect themselves, to use their influence to promote the health and welfare of animals and people as much as possible. While doubt remains about the incidents of flesh consumption, obviously many people changed their eating behaviour because of Morrissey which is something of a big deal. Are his alleged lapses forgivable?

Buddhists are a group maybe most associated with vegetarianism and the following is, to me anyway, an interesting and relevant overview of the variety of attitudes amongst them, from http://everything2.com/title/Buddhist+vegetarians:

"Are all Buddhists vegetarian? Certainly not. Some are quite strong on insisting that vegeterianism is not a Buddhist practice, others believe a "true" Buddhist should also be a vegetarian.

Here are some views I have collected from monks of different Buddhist schools over the years. I shall simply present them without trying to decide which one is "right". After all, there is no dogma in Buddhism. I have always maintained that deep down there are as many Buddhisms as there are Buddhists - and I like it that way. At the end, however, I will present my own practice and my reasons for it.

All Theravada monks I either talked to, or read books by, were non-vegetarian. They reminded me that the Buddha himself ate meat, and indeed died after eating a piece of spoiled pork. The Buddha said, "Eat what is put into your bowl." In Thereavada countries monks still practice walking down the street with a begging bowl, which Buddhists (non-monks) fill with whatever food they have left. That is what the monks eat, be it meat or not.

Secondly, when presented with the argument against killing, the Theravada monks said that vegetables are killed as well, and they do not wish to view animals as superior beings as opposed to vegetables.

In Mahayana countries, due to different geographic and political conditions, the practice of walking down the street with a begging bowl is not common. Some Mahayana monks are vegetarians, others are not.

According to a Zen teacher trained in the Chinese tradition (which would technically make him a Ch'an teacher), vegetarianism in Buddhism developed in China because monks were often invited to eat in people's homes. That was before refrigeration, so people would say, oh there you are, let me go and kill a hen for you. To that, the monks would say, absolutely positively not! The first precept of Buddhism is "do not kill."

The Chinese monks, according to this teacher, were willing to eat meat if the animal was already dead, but they would not allow an animal to be killed for them. They also made that very clear to Chinese people, so people would eventually stop even offering meat to monks. Over centuries the original reasons apparently became unknown to most, and people (both monks and others) just believed that a Buddhist should be a vegetarian. It even went so far that many Chinese believe the Buddha was a vegetarian and died from eating poisoned mushrooms.

My Practice
As promised, I will now present my personal practice, and my reasons for it.

First off, I never cared for meat, even as a child, long before I heard of Buddhism. I would often take a bite, then chew it and chew it until my mother would say, OK, go spit it out. So, in a way, I am a natural vegetarian, perhaps for reasons that go back to a previous life.

As a young adult, I did eat meat, and especially loved steak. Though, occasionally, I decided to be a vegetarian, and practiced it for a year or two, then changed my mind.

When I became a Buddhist, I became a vegetarian. But, sometimes I do eat meat, which tends to confuse some people. ;)

My reasoning is similar to that of the early Chinese monks, though I came up with it before hearing of theirs.

Here it is in a nutshell: I will not order meat in a restaurant or buy it in a store. I know it is already dead, but I also know that if I buy it or order it, another animal will be killed in its place. So, even if my own piece of meat comes from an already dead animal, my buying it will place an indirect request to kill.

I do eat meat without hesitation when someone offers it to me. In that case, the person has already bought the meat and indirectly ordered the killing of the next animal. That person has also already fixed the meal. My eating it or not eating it changes nothing. If I don't eat it, some other guest will eat too much and get a heart attack later, or the host will throw it out. I'd rather eat it than have it thrown out because I feel the poor animal has brought a sacrifice, involuntary as it may be, and the sacrifice would be completely wasted if the meat were thrown out. For the same reason, I sometimes even buy a hot dog, like when the local K-Mart food court is about to close and lowers the price because they'd rather sell the hot dogs for less than throw them out.

Another reason for me eating meat offered by others is that I feel I have no right to impose my beliefs on someone else. The person is actually performing an act of kindness. Who am I to judge them!

Finally, I have been occasionally getting small meat products from the local grocery store ever since I was diagnosed with diabetes. This is because these products contain virtually no carbohydrates, while vegetables have plenty of them. The first precept does not say do not kill others, it says do not kill. That implies the obligation to preserve my own life. My diabetes is the result of some past karma of mine, and as a consequence I am sometimes stuck in a dilemma. And considering the Theravada practice, I feel I am doing the best I can. And that is all I can do. Back during my Christian years I always thought I was obliged to do more than I could do, but now, as a Buddhist, I view that attitude as fallacy..."

This is turning into a confessional booth.

While very ill last year, I sometimes found my mouth watering for meat. But fortunately, I was too sick to eat anything, so I didn't break down.

While in theory, seafood is the healthiest flesh one could eat, in practice I think that's not so. Too much pollution.

Really, it doesn't matter to me if I personally catch Morrissey with a roasted leg of lamb clamped in one greasy fist, I'm going to stay as I am. I have my own reasons. In some ways it comes down to the fact that I believe it's healthy to follow a practice of denial. It's like Lent every day. Each time I eat, each time I shop or order in a restaurant, I consciously choose not to eat animals. I think it's good for me to be mindful, even if my reasons are largely arbitrary. Does it really matter whether I eat meat or not? No. Only to me. It's possible to be ethical, healthful, and minimize your environmental impact while still eating meat. This is just what I've chosen.

I don't think he'd eat a breakfast sausage, something just tells me that. But I think he might appreciate the fact that as awful the prospect of meeting an arbateur as he calls them, at least the meat cow's misery ends. Dairy cows on the other hand stand in their filth and are loaded with drugs against their will, yet it's hard to turn down a slice of cheese. It almost makes one appreciate a steak a bit more knowing the cow is elsewhere, provided you practice mindful eating, giving thanks to the animal as you eat it.

Something has to be done about the meat industry.

Last edited:
I don't think he'd eat a breakfast sausage, something just tells me that. But I think he might appreciate the fact that as awful the prospect of meeting an arbateur as he calls them, at least the meat cow's misery ends. Dairy cows on the other hand stand in their filth and are loaded with drugs against their will, yet it's hard to turn down a slice of cheese. It almost makes one appreciate a steak a bit more knowing the cow is elsewhere, provided you practice mindful eating, giving thanks to the animal as you eat it.

Something has to be done about the meat industry.

CG, have you seen 'food, inc'? i think you would appreciate it. although it is really upsetting.

CG, have you seen 'food, inc'? i think you would appreciate it. although it is really upsetting.

I haven't. I'd like to but not now, I'm like on the brink of going even more mental than I am now, that might push me over the edge. I know the meat industry is responsible for literally creating hell on earth for so many good souls. I have nightmares about it, maybe Morrissey does too. Although different to Morrissey, I cringe at the thought of meat going to waste for some reason, so I don't have a problem being in the company of meat eaters ignorant of the spiritual side of meat consumption because they at least contribute to assisting that the cows misery is not in vain. That may seem like a rationalization but it's not.

Back
Top Bottom