Morrissey Box Set???

[email protected]

Sugar Booger
Does anyone ever see Moz doing some sort of box set? And not just a re-release of all of his cds, but something more like The Cures Connect The Dots. Do you think he has hidden material somewhere, quality live recordings, something he could put on some big release before he retires. Its hard now with the internet to keep those things from leaking but does anyone think he might have that sort of thing left in him. Would love to see some big 4-5 cd master set with photo book, quotes, history, great packaging, etc. Any chance?

I would love to see something like this come out. I have to think that there is stuff that the most obssessed fan doesn't even know about. I think this could happen if you seen some other artists' box sets and how paltry they seem to be, I think our boy could do it.

Yes, I think Sanctuary will be putting one out next year. 5 or 6 discs, from what I've heard. A cornucopia of rarities. For instance, Disc 6 will include 37 live versions of "You Have Killed Me" from the current tour. Of course, that's the first run of the Box Set. The Deluxe Box Set will also feature a seventh disc of the ultra-rare "Hungover Boz Accidentally f***s Up 'Still Ill' At A Soundcheck" while the Platinum Extra Crispy Edition is said to have a coupon allowing the purchaser to visit a Sanctuary website and download a free virus.

Start saving your money!

Worm said:
Yes, I think Sanctuary will be putting one out next year. 5 or 6 discs, from what I've heard. A cornucopia of rarities. For instance, Disc 6 will include 37 live versions of "You Have Killed Me" from the current tour. Of course, that's the first run of the Box Set. The Deluxe Box Set will also feature a seventh disc of the ultra-rare "Hungover Boz Accidentally f***s Up 'Still Ill' At A Soundcheck" while the Platinum Extra Crispy Edition is said to have a coupon allowing the purchaser to visit a Sanctuary website and download a free virus.

Start saving your money!

Scalding! Ouch! :D

Worm said:

Start saving your money!

cant wait for this Hungover Boz Accidentally f***s Up 'Still Ill' At A Soundcheck" and i have been dreaming of a disc with 37 live versions of "You Have Killed Me" what fun :)

Worm said:

Start saving your money!

So you've seen the Cure box set. very similar less the Boz track

Heh.

A bit cynical, I suppose, but I blame Sanctuary, not Morrissey. I think Morrissey has given Sanctuary the green light to market him (to use a nicer verb) to the fullest and from a fan's perspective they are doing a poor job of it. I mean, there are ways to sell multiple versions of the same product that at least offer something of value to the more devoted fans.

To give you an example, there was a recent Echo & The Bunnymen single that featured a live version of an older song as the B-side. Not a big deal, but it was recorded acoustically for a radio show in Brazil, and Mac had some amusing additions to the song, as he often does. In the grand scheme it's not a must-have, but it was attractive enough to make me buy the single.

Couldn't Sanctuary do the same? Set up some radio sessions, perhaps with just Morrissey singing and Boz on acoustic guitar, and then record and release them? Easy publicity for a show in some foreign city, for starters, and then perhaps a unique version of the song for official release. Instead we got 5 live versions of the same song on iTunes, which is by far the most disgraceful set of B-sides ever released. Be honest, if you were buying a 12" single and discovered it was defective-- the B-side was mis-pressed and featured the wrong song, or was perhaps completely smooth and unplayable-- THAT would be worth more than 5 live versions of the same goddamn song.

So you can just imagine a Morrissey box-set by Sanctuary. Ugh.

I completely echo your sentiments, Worm. For the first time since I've been devoutly buying Morrissey singles as soon as they are released, I haven't done so. I simply see no reason to buy this one, save for having the incredibly embarrassing "Christian Dior" in my collection.

I think now would be a pretty good time to re-release the singles from Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted in the same kind of box set as that of the two previous single collections.

Worm said:
Heh.

A bit cynical, I suppose, but I blame Sanctuary, not Morrissey. I think Morrissey has given Sanctuary the green light to market him (to use a nicer verb) to the fullest and from a fan's perspective they are doing a poor job of it. I mean, there are ways to sell multiple versions of the same product that at least offer something of value to the more devoted fans.

Worm - yes, you would have thought that Moz, particularly in light of the 'leaked letter' criticising Sanctuary, has given the company the 'green light', but I do sometimes wonder about the strategy and objectives (other than sell as many recordings as possible) of any such marketing campaign + activity.

For example, the recent videos for the ROTT singles: I know that some on this site liked/enjoyed them, but I felt they stunk. I'm sure i read somewhere (on here) that it was Moz's concept for the Eurovision Song-style idea - whether that was factual or a poster's view, I'm unsure; but it lacked vitality and creativity. The videos for YHKM and ITFWAW have done little for the songs, I think (to be frank, I can't recall seeing TYWTML vid).

I'm not saying that Moz and Sanctuary should have done a Pink-style creation (even though I'm a little bit impressed by some of her work), but the lack of thought in getting the visual to support the aural doesn't seem to have moved on much since the Smiths of 20 years ago.

Agree with rest of your comments tho re the box-set. also, i know many others have criticised Sanctuary's marketing here - apols for repeating.

So you can just imagine a Morrissey box-set by Sanctuary. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

Worm said:

Start saving your money!

EXCELLENT!!!!

Ooops, sorry. I'm not allowed to compliment you worm.

Back
Top Bottom