Morrissey "Autobiography" - indexed

Hi,

I'm quite new around here but just wanted to say hello, and that it may be of interest to you guys that I've created a searchable online index to Morrissey's "Autobiography" - all 470 pages, over 4,200 entries:

http://mozindex.thoughtcat.com/

Hope it's of use :)

Best

TC

Wow. That is very, very impressive.

P.

One for the adoring fans I think.
I read the thing (and liked it), cannot think what use an index would be.

Ah well... :lbf:

Most (auto)biographies have an index, and it was noted by many reviewers that Moz's didn't. I guess it would have turned up in a future edition, but anyway, we have one now... :)

This is actually very useful.
Thank you.
Cheers,
FWD

If someone is looking for a certain passage in particular, or an anecdote or a name-drop, it's much more convenient to refer to an index rather than going through the book page by page.

I don't want to wee wee on anyones parade here, it must have been hard work and clearly alot of people are pleased about this but I have to ask,
'useful' for what exactly?

If someone is looking for a certain passage in particular, or an anecdote or a name-drop, it's much more convenient to refer to an index rather than going through the book page by page.
Yeah ofcourse.
You see this is the danger of posting whilst bored at work. You post rubbish!

Really brilliant. And yes, useful, because you can check whether he's been catty about [insert name here, any will do and yield a result], on which page(s) and how often. Thoughtcat, well done!

I don't want to wee wee on anyones parade here

So don't. Really.

Thanks guys :) Glad you're enjoying it. The site has had over 2,600 views since I put it live yesterday morning :) I'm going to be tweaking it as time allows, for instance to make it easier to find names, as "cleverly" the names are all in reverse format i.e. "Marr, Johnny" which is affecting searches (as people are understandably searching for "Johnny Marr"). In the meantime I've added some shortcut links in the right sidebar to some of the more popular entries, e.g. http://mozindex.thoughtcat.com/index/special/johnny-marr

Well, I hope you received remuneration. I just tested it out:

invited to have photo taken with Paul McCartney

Thanks for the kind comments :)

I don't have a copy of the US edition, or the hardback. Does anyone have a copy of those as well as the UK paperback that they can compare? Might it be possible to calculate the corresponding page numbers automatically, or do these vary too much?

I didn't keep a record of the number of hours I spent building the site, but I spent a lot of weekends and evenings since March plugging away at it. It was prompted by the absence of an index in the book and I thought it would be an interesting project. A bit obsessive though maybe ;)

Anyone have a spare original copy of the UK edition they'd be willing to part with at a reasonable price? Or know of a feasible way someone in the US can get an original UK copy on the interent without jumping through too many hoops?

I ordered the US version but once I found out it was a chopped version I didnt' have the heart to open it. It's still sitting in the Amazon packaging in the garage.

Really brilliant. And yes, useful, because you can check whether he's been catty about [insert name here, any will do and yield a result], on which page(s) and how often. Thoughtcat, well done!

So don't. Really.
So shut up. Really.

Anyone have a spare original copy of the UK edition they'd be willing to part with at a reasonable price? Or know of a feasible way someone in the US can get an original UK copy on the interent without jumping through too many hoops?

I ordered the US version but once I found out it was a chopped version I didnt' have the heart to open it. It's still sitting in the Amazon packaging in the garage.

Return the Amazon copy. And buy the UK one for $12.87--which includes shipping to the US from here: http://www.bookdepository.com/Autobiography-Morrissey/9780141394817

Nice.
I'm working on a index to bummie boy posts.
a..b.....c............w- whining relentless and droning shite......x y z
It's a work in progress. There's a few pompous rants and and odd hypocritical sneer to throw in but it's pretty much comprehensive.

Hi all, I've released some updates to the site - you can now search for names by firstname surname, which wasn't working before - for instance searching for "johnny marr" will show all entries mentioning him. Also in the main index there are some alphabetical shortcut links for browsing in those sections. Enjoy :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom