Morrissey at the Rolling Stones concert in Los Angeles (May 3, 2013) - photos posted at Zimbio

Re: Singer Morrissey arrives the 'Rolling Stone' concert at The Staples Center in Los

Everyone who is smart enough, or who has a proper accountant, does everything possible to minimize the taxes that must be paid; who doesn't want to hold on to as much of his/her hard earned money as possible; so what's your point? Do you want to pay more taxes than necessary? Why attack Morrissey for doing what other rock stars have been doing for decades? My reference to his constant moving was how lonely it must be; yet, you turn it into an assault on his character. If you despise him so, why don't you move on? Additionally, if you want to address me personally, please spell my name correctly; it's just common courtesy.

My issue with it (and i am not the poster who raised it), is that it is hypocritical for Morrissey to talk about "social justice" (as i he did in the recent Loaded interview, while avoiding paying the tax that pays for schools, hospitals, social care etc

Re: Singer Morrissey arrives the 'Rolling Stone' concert at The Staples Center in Los

Oh give us a break with the sanctimonious bullshit, Geezer. We ALL know Jesse sucks. Stop trying to cover for him and Morrissey.

Same old "ivory tower" garbage from delusional "fans" have their noses so far up Moz's ass, they can't think straight.

Lets not forget Biz he's not ar behind Tabasco, these two have been stinking Moz gigs out for long time now. Moorrissey live used to be a good experience but not any more.

we'll let you know

My issue with it (and i am not the poster who raised it), is that it is hypocritical for Morrissey to talk about "social justice" (as i he did in the recent Loaded interview, while avoiding paying the tax that pays for schools, hospitals, social care etc

Over to you Linda

Does he not pay his tax? Do you have a link?

Does he not pay his tax? Do you have a link?

He clearly chooses to live in places like the US, Dublin and Switzerland where the tax arrangements for high earners are less stringent than those in the UK. He is a tax exile.

He clearly chooses to live in places like the US, Dublin and Switzerland where the tax arrangements for high earners are less stringent than those in the UK. He is a tax exile.

Not sure if he is considered to live in those places as far as the taxman is concerned but regardless my understanding was that tax had to be paid on income in the country where that income was earned. That being the case, as most of his shows have been in the US, he would be subject to a 30% tax rate.

As for any royalties, I'd imagine the address he would give would be a Manchester one meaning he would have to pay UK tax on those. I'm not sure a Dublin Hotel address would satisfy the HMRC.

Lets not forget Biz he's not ar behind Tabasco, these two have been stinking Moz gigs out for long time now. Moorrissey live used to be a good experience but not any more.

we'll let you know

This IS the REAL we'll let you know and I do not pretend or fantasize to be in Stevens inner "cercle"

Over to you Linda

Do you have access to his personal finances, his income tax reports? If not, then your comments are speculation. I think that I have already made my point: do you want to pay as much or as little tax as possible, which would you prefer? In the US, people are required to pay income in the state in which it was earned, even non-citizens; so, I would assume that his accountants take care of that. As for his reasons for moving around, has Morrissey ever stated that he relocates to avoid paying income tax? He's obviously paying tax somewhere. So, your comments are unfairly accusatory, just more hatred spewed by someone who comes to this site to torment those who admire Morrissey. For all we know, you could be that troll-faced, dickless little man, Mike Joyce.

Do you have access to his personal finances, his income tax reports? If not, then your comments are speculation. I think that I have already made my point: do you want to pay as much or as little tax as possible, which would you prefer? In the US, people are required to pay income in the state in which it was earned, even non-citizens; so, I would assume that his accountants take care of that. As for his reasons for moving around, has Morrissey ever stated that he relocates to avoid paying income tax? He's obviously paying tax somewhere. So, your comments are unfairly accusatory, just more hatred spewed by someone who comes to this site to torment those who admire Morrissey. For all we know, you could be that troll-faced, dickless little man, Mike Joyce.

i am not remotely accusatory, and am in fact a huge Morrissey fan. Don't compare to me that ridiculous character Mike Joyce

There is undoubtedly speculation in my post, however Morrissey has made many comments regarding tax, and his aversion to it. There is undoubtedly a contradiction between this and his claims to be interested in "social justice".

I pay the tax required by the government and am happy to do so.

“We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead [sic]. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried shit every day.” - Morrissey, July 2011

When anyone here comes within a hundred miles of being that vile, please let me know.

my post was 2 long will re-post in a few mins!

Last edited:
Last edited:

[color="#4b0082"

Last edited:

What an unflattering outfit and photograph.

He looks great! The MAN will ALWAYS be more attractive than most of the trolls on this site

This IS the REAL we'll let you know and I do not pretend or fantasize to be in Stevens inner "cercle"

This is NOT The Real we'll let you know. TRO is Morrissey himself.

He looks great! The MAN will ALWAYS be more attractive than most of the trolls on this site

I agree. He looks fantastic in denim!!

Morrissey is a hyper-empath and that is reflected in his music, not his life.''' Morrissey is a man with a near-miraculous gift for opening his audience's hearts, and revealing the best part of his own. ..'History is filled with remarkably accomplished men and women who inspired strangers but disappointed, alienated and deeply hurt loved ones.. .

To say he's written "some fine songs" is a tremendous understatement: everyone who has followed his career knows that he has changed lives with the power of his words, his voice, and (at the beginning at least) his ability to stand for something elusive, intriguing and authentic. Morrissey was able to project himself into other lives, and elicit a universal kind of understanding. The man was a walking, talking font of vulnerability.

What happened in the interim was a remarkably disorienting life: a life of being worshipped slavishly, of shuttling between far-flung destinations, of making himself a target and fighting endlessly with the press. This life (which he consciously chose) is lonely, alienating, and spiritually and emotionally eviscerating. The pressures are unimaginable to anyone on the outside. The responsibilities of living up to the expectations of fans, of being a godlike, sensitive, glaringly handsome receptacle of hopes and dreams is a kind of nightmare, particularly for an introvert who is called upon to fulfill the endless needs of strangers to whom he cannot relate.

I'm not excusing his later remarks about Norway or his clumsy, ill-considered political rants... Apparently (unless you catch him at just the right moment) he's a prickly, bizarre, truly eccentric self-made island of defensive posturing. It's dispiriting to be sure, but it's the unfortunate downside of his singular edge, and for me it doesn't negate his accomplishments.

Morrissey began as a promising innovator, indeed pathfinder, in mediated communication but has quite comprehensively blown it. It's no surprise to me that many who have made such a 'sunk investment' both emotionally and materially in his career cannot accept that he has largely destroyed himself, his reputation and his legacy. It's hard to cast aside decades of interests as wasted time. And the idea that he is deliberately trashing himself does not tally with his desperate hopes of another injection of corporate funding and three albums of material waiting on the conveyor belt.

Claiming that he is in any way different, unique or special amongst a vast litany of "face time Fame attention whores" in the C20th simply doesn't stack up. This is a man who presented as an 'alternative' to corporate music yet has spent the vast majority of his corporate career bemoaning the fact he simply didn't have the ambition, talent and drive to reach the heights that others such as Michael Jackson and Madonna. They managed to win on the level playing field of ruthless corporate competitiveness. He failed and blames everyone else.

Prancing about a stage claiming to be messianic and misunderstood whilst trousering corporate payload was/is an entirely conventional game plan for any aspiring captitalist entertainment entrepreneur. Other than a brief flirtation with politics during the Miner's Strike, Morrissey has not shown any radical credentials, his espousal of animal rights seriously undermined by his dalliance with dairy and with PETA's unquestioned (though necessary), extermination policies. And certainly not musically, with an increasingly dull and leaden Punk Grandad thumpery designed purely to access Boomer Adult Oriented Soft-Rock Radio stations. His bewailing the collapse of retail outlets for corporate rock career whores, his complete confusion about how the industry is in turmoil and how his career devastation is just one of many such tales, is interesting to observe only in that it proves just how conventional a figure he was/is.

A serious artist would not unironically parrot the memes, themes, nostrums and props of a delusional star/fan dichotomy and would treat an Audience with at least some respect, instead of exhibiting challenging behaviour and difficult to meet needs, demanding a staged reaction of 'adoration' or 'worship' at each and every performance, no matter how regimented, rehearsed and often, frankly, tired and lack-lustre. "I've made it! i'm a star! worship me!" "er no, actually, tonight you're a bit boring, we might go to the lap dancing club if you don't get your freak on and entertain us soon"

Claiming that actively seeking a life of conflict with media co-creators and business associates is anything to applaud is very strange. He was found to be wanting in a court of law and signally failed to follow through to the European court to 'defend his honour', presumably having been advised that this was a road to bankruptcy. He also failed to publish the tape that is meant to exonerate him from his spat with the NME: both Morrissey and NME appear to have been complicit in a co-created click-bait troll-fest as neither definitely published the supposed evidence that would have settled the debate one way or another.

His remarks on Norway, China and David Banda reveal a spoilt brat tantrum, a risible troll mentality similar to that of Julie Burchill and Suzanne Moore. Unlike them, he was once cutting edge in relation to gender and sexual politics, yet his recent confaltion of homosexuality with 'peaceful masculinities' [ ignoring Alexander the Great!] was evidence of a profound lack of learning.

After listening to him resurrect a mainstream career with a few Clash cast-off riffs a decade ago, he now intends to foist a campaign berating the world's capitalist media corporations for failing to provide a megastar marketing budget. I guess it's funny on one level, like the salt-shaker interview...

I hope Morrissey's recent health issues bring him to a new vantage point regarding 'fame' and his journey towards it. He appears to have sacrificed his entire life for some career plan to become a nominally 'Outsider' artist within a corporate 'star maker machinery' framework. No-one who had access to a provincial arts centre in England during the 1970s would be in the least surprised bv Morrissey's championing of the obscure and the outre. But like the kid with the Bowie album cover in the playground parading the fact that they're hip, who simply can't understand why the big boys also think Sabbath are the dog's bollocks: the fey outsider routine becomes a little waring after a few weeks and no invite is thus extended into the real party zone. In Moz's case he's been walking around with a Bowie album (and producer!) for so long it's become tragic.

If Morrissey returns with some meaningful meditations on mortality and his wasted life chasing the apparitions of fame and conventional corporate rock star success, then everyone will be interested. If it's just another bitter whinge about why he has failed, then no one will care.

Bowie pulled back from the brink, from the dead-end cul-de-sac of post-war hedonism and anhedonia, the twin themes of which play out in sterile exhaustion within popular music with boring regularity. He prioritised his relationships and health and returned with an entirely new perspective emotionally and lyrically , if not musically.

Popular music as a vehicle of dissent is over, almost certainly, despite the brave attempt by such artists as The Knife. It is 'bread and circuses'. Marcuse's 'repressive tolerance' writ large. No 'inidividual' flamboyant rebellion within the parameters of personal psychology is of any great import anymore. Even more obvious is the fact that there are many artists who have not played these media and corporate games like Morrissey, who have provided just as much succour and solace to many and have certainly been more generous in recognising they are part of a tradition rather than any uniquely gifted 'star'.

Unless there's a late flourish, it seems that Morrissey was simply 'the NME fan-boy who got lucky' with a crafty mix of arts lab references and a voice which he trained into a beautiful instument through hard work on technique. Nothing 'mystical' about his voice whatsoever. Anyone who's ever worked with The Voice can trace the path that money and time allowed him. It's a shame he didn't do the same with a formal education for his brain, for even with the augmented memory of search engine technology he reveals himself constantly as uneducated.

He is a minor poet, a minor vocal melody talent, but he has a rich, expressive voice. I was pleased to see him pictured with Tom Jones. I hope he will do an album of duets, drop the fiction of the 'loner Outsider' and find common ground with many other equally talented and gifted entertainers who help provide the bread and circus distraction of contemporary society. Or he might consider a dignified retirement.

All of this sounds severe on Morrissey, but it's not. I'd write far more harshly about Leonard Cohen and Paul McCartney but their 'fans' are such besotted and delusional myrmidons that no 'free speech' forum such as this provided by David Tseng is available. In fact, history will probably record the ban imposed on David Tseng in Copenhagen as the most revealing act of Morrissey's long controlled self-implosion. To openly censor anyone other than the potentially violent from a public space really is an act of reactionary censorship. David Banda, David Tseng. Norway. China. And on and on . No one is beyond redemption, it would be amazing for Morrissey to 'wake up' and start all over again...we'll see...not that there aren't loads of other equally interesting artists to ponder. There are. Morrissey's 'cultural desert' where he is the only oasis was an amusing ruse for marketing but only a seriously misguided 'fan' every took such nonsense seriously. Morrissey certainly didn't.

Brummie Boy, this is at least the second time that you've said that Madonna has more talent than Morrissey. Despite the rest of your post which is opinion passed off as fact, I don't understand how anyone who logs on this site bar those that read a news story and come on to berate him can come to that conclusion.

Personally I think it's impossible for somebody to become as famous as Morrissey and not become slightly unhinged by it all. It's easy to sit casting stones in his general direction when you haven't lived that life. Really, when you look at everything he's said and done since The Smiths first came out has he really changed that much? I'm not so sure he has but a lot of fans' perceptions of him has.

Was the whole band there or did he just take Solomon Walker?

what do you mean? why would he take Solomon Walker alone? don't even remember his face now.

Soundgarden, Tom Jones; Queen of the Stone Age, Lady Gaga?? I like how he always pretends to dislike most bands old or younger when he is in fact spotted at various concerts all the time!! strange? and didn't he criticize the Stones for being still performing live years ago??

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom