Morrissey at the Rancid concert at the Roxy in LA

An anonymous person posts the link / photo:

From @MozzeriansATW / Twitter:

#Morrissey & the boys at tonight's @Rancid show @theroxy #westhollywood #LA photo courtesy of Jr. Bernal.

rancid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
rancid put out a lot of there records on warners or some other major i believe as that was was the times so i dont know about diy or anything. even labels like phat and epitaph were fairly larger than a diy label by the mid nineties. the jerry connection, he did there major label debut, is where he probably first came into contact but who knows many artists with unrelated music often meet and see each other in various ways. jerry was great of course and is on many a punk rock or connected to punk rock albums such as jawbreakers major (thats a piece of american punk rock majr label history right there by itself) as well as the suicide machines bad religion and pennywise. of course did many a pop punk album as well with green day mxpx blink 182 but people i think forget or dont know he has also worked with many a straight pop act which might have influenced mozs choice such as the goo goo dolls a boy named goo, that horrible band ash, weezer, fastball ( a one hit wonder but still very popular at the time) and the very underrated indie rock band that dog, marvelous three which is funny since walker went on to be such a big name producer himself, super drag, the living end, the smoking popes etc. jerrys a legend and its a well deserved mantle

You're very well informed and I appreciate the knowledge you shared. I'm really just a dope with the hope that Morrissey comes up with a way to make some more records.

Hey Benny - Silky Steven's wearing his "Life is a Pigsty" crap brown clown shirt (with the deep V to showcase his ohsosexay décolletage, n'est-ce pas?!) ... Kinda Ka-Gay, don't ya think?? The medallion is a nice hetero bit of flair - NOT!!! (and the prayer beads...OY VEY...SPM IS TOTS MASHUGINAH).

he's as ravishing as ever!

Why all these comparisons with Green Day? Isn't Green Day corporate, fake, sell-out music--homogenized for the masses? I understand they deliberately stole material(s) from a rather unknown band called Stiff Little Fingers--? Someone help. Peace, and thanks.

the comparisons to greenday likely come from them both coming from the same scene and billie joe co writting the song radio with is on rancids lets go. greenday signed to a major while rancid stayed with epitaph but epitaph also signed a distribution deal with a major so its not that clean cut. they both had popular songs on the radio and both made videos which was considered by the east bay crowd, which also included afi for that matter, and the gilman crowd to be a big big no no. the they , tim and billie joe, have been friends since the op ivy days when green day was young. jesse micheals, the singer of op ivy who liked billie joe also had to say that as much as he liked the band, or at least the guys, in those days it was pretty clear to everyone that musically billie was always a rock and roll musician and would some day leave the scene. op ivy was about politics first and music a close second while greenday was always about the music first and politics second which admittedly not really in conflict in those days. that said for a corporate punk band billie joe has been pretty great. he was on the rock against bush comp when bands like good charlotte wouldnt appear for fear of hurting sales, they released american idot when some indie punk bands still sang about girls and beer, they toured and sold there first couple of albums out of a van themselves selling like 80000 copies, he didnt date a bajillion stupid girls and instead married his long time girlfriend etc. guess what im saying is that for a corporate punk band, at least in the american sense since like most english punk bands like the pistols and the clash (who like i said earlier tim worships) were all on majors with the clash playing msg. to sum up yes greenday are a corporate punk band but they came from a real punk rock scene and maintained a good bit of that while rancid who stayed more pure arent exactly as pure as some might think they are by traditional quote unquote punk rock standards. both excellent bands and tim aside all excellent people. i love lars to death and his first solo album with the bastards is fantastic

Was thinking if you had twins your posts would probably be twice as long. Actually, you should go further and drop all punctuation while you're at it. ;)

this is the level of laziness and grammatical sabotage/distaste im comfortable with and anything more would be to much work for me. guess im only so committed to my cause at the end of the day. as for the length of my posts, im typing pretty much how i speak in person with honestly, a real effort exerted to be more concise while posting so count your blessings and all that i suppose though i dont expect anyone to read or care about what im typing. as for juliian, hes doing great and is nothing but a joy in my life even if six months went by much to quickly. makes getting any writing a lot harder than i hoped though

You're very well informed and I appreciate the knowledge you shared. I'm really just a dope with the hope that Morrissey comes up with a way to make some more records.

were all dopes in some way or another and this is just a subject i have some knowledge about (joke intended) but even then im not trying very hard and still make mistakes like rancid didnt sign with a major (the title and out come the wolves should have reminded me duh) but rather epitaph, the "indie" they stayed with, signed a deal with a major and rancid, tim, i think got hellcat which puts out a million comps year after year etc. its mostly just to being the right age at the time, knowing some people and reading a bunch of books like 924 gilman the story so far and a bunch of others plus sites such as all music etc etc. i believe morrissey gets more record offers than people think i just think the nature and terms of those deals have changed along with the industry in general leaving acts of morrisseys size, which is considerable, in an awkward spot. much as people would like him to be mozs isnt all about the music and personally i dont hold that against him as much as i personally really really want a new record as well. hopefully well all get what we want

I just don't have the words anymore. He won't step foot in your country, lives in LA, and goes to an obscure AMERICAN punk band from the 80's show. Can he rub your Brit/Euro, South American, Transylvanian, faces in more shit? Stop saying I reckon if he wanted to see a real punk band he could see Big Country and the Isle of Lucy third stage. He won't because he hates you Brits and Euros and well anybody that is not American. Wake Up!

aaand John Lydon told me once on a cross country Virgin America Flight, that when he said that at the Cow Palace, he wasn't cheating the people who bought tickets for the show, it was just how he felt at the time. OK Anonymous-

Last edited:
I just don't have the words anymore. He won't step foot in your country, lives in LA, and goes to an obscure AMERICAN punk band from the 80's show. Can he rub your Brit/Euro, South American, Transylvanian, faces in more shit? Stop saying I reckon if he wanted to see a real punk band he could see Big Country and the Isle of Lucy third stage. He won't because he hates you Brits and Euros and well anybody that is not American. Wake Up!

aaand John Lydon told me once on a cross country Virgin America Flight, that when he said that at the Cow Palace, he wasn't cheating the people who bought tickets for the show, it was just how he felt at the time. OK Anonymous-

Rancid are neither obscure nor from the 80's.

He's facing off with Damon, right? It's cute, but I kinda wish they'd just go public and drop the whole master/servant routine.

at his roots moz is still a radical. ya know hes a radical. its not very surpriiong that moz might like there music as he pretty on record as loving both rockabilly and leftist populist politics so i dont really see what the shock small as it may be is here. i really love rancid but i think it was the whole brody dale from the distillers issue that made me a bit weirded out by him honestly. im not doubting his feelings in the end as sincere but at the beginning of that relationship i was suspect

Are you a robot? A broken one, that is. You sound like you have 3 sentences in your control system and they keep skipping. Oops, you forgot to mention something about kickball, baseball caps and Sherman Oaks marketing group.
Thanks for your post. Can't wait for more

How does he look so hot at nearly sexty years old?!$. I am quite a bit younger than him and i would take him over any young stud any day.Love that he is back in Moz Angeles, weather is so nice too. Luvf U Morrissey.

were all dopes in some way or another and this is just a subject i have some knowledge about (joke intended) but even then im not trying very hard and still make mistakes like rancid didnt sign with a major (the title and out come the wolves should have reminded me duh) but rather epitaph, the "indie" they stayed with, signed a deal with a major and rancid, tim, i think got hellcat which puts out a million comps year after year etc. its mostly just to being the right age at the time, knowing some people and reading a bunch of books like 924 gilman the story so far and a bunch of others plus sites such as all music etc etc. i believe morrissey gets more record offers than people think i just think the nature and terms of those deals have changed along with the industry in general leaving acts of morrisseys size, which is considerable, in an awkward spot. much as people would like him to be mozs isnt all about the music and personally i dont hold that against him as much as i personally really really want a new record as well. hopefully well all get what we want

Maybe Morrissey is worried that there would be a lack of promotion being on a smaller label. There's also probably some ego involved. I just think it would kind of be like going full circle if he went back to the independent route. He has the most important thing though and that's name recognition.

Unfortunately Morrissey hasn't had a kind word to say about Suede since his falling out with Brett Anderson (some 20 years ago). On the subject of Suede, I really wish they would tour the US again :(

I'm not trying to be a deliberate belligerent ghoul but do you think Suede would go down well in the US? The first half of the concert is them singing the new album from behind a semi-transparent screen. The second half is greatest hits with the screen removed. Would that be acceptable outside Europe? Maybe it would and I'm living in the past and I'm creating prejudices and stereotypes that don't exist.

I imagine that's true but it's also a salute to the audience to tell them that. If Johnny Rotten came out and said "We love you. This is our favorite city to play," that would be the insult. Of course the audience wasn't really cheated. They saw the last performance by the greatest and last punk band in the world. Everything after that has been costume drama.

Maybe Morrissey is worried that there would be a lack of promotion being on a smaller label. There's also probably some ego involved. I just think it would kind of be like going full circle if he went back to the independent route. He has the most important thing though and that's name recognition.

i think it more about the process and how much he would enjoy it at his age and not really the respect the money would offer or the status he would get from being on a major. the common person here if poled couldnt tell you which was a major and which was an inide if you read them off a list made up of both. he also wouldnt like to be used as he likes control so making something for a label in a deal he would see as unfair to him is also probably a factor. i doubt it about the profits since he could just profit in so many other obvious ways and is already very wealthy (id like to see him combine both his love of writing and film by writing screen play based on his life. id watch that)

um no not really. rancid used to be operation ivy the last legendary hardcore/roots/political band from the early eighties to about 89 when there singer, jesse, left because he didnt like the fact that they were getting popular with people he didnt care for and didnt want to sign with a major. the closest comparison to rancid that you guys might know are the clash who tim worships mixed with the uk subs. they play roots reggea influenced hardcore and possess one of the most talented bassists in the genre or almost any genre for that matter. they made platinum albums without compromising there sound in the least but theyre also just very very good musicians and excellent classic song writers with a lot of authenticity. they sound nothing like greenday, whom i like, and the only association they have is there friendship with them because they both came up in the legendary 924 gilman and know each other personally. also sound nothing like the ramones who do have something in common with greenday sound wise. soundwise they sound like the first clash album, though harder as they came from the hardcore scene, mixed with some london calling and many other influences. not much pop about them except that they got popular in the wake of nirvana when labels were trying to sign anything to do with punk or hardcore, seaweed im looking at you here, so i doubt many here will know much about them but thats the story. very cool to see moz has such good taste in music and if you listen to the music i think it hard to doubt there ability even if you dont care for that sound

I LOVED the OP Ivy shows at Gilman in the 80's.. Crimpshrine, Green Day, Screeching Weasel who was from Chicago but played Gilman alot, and Fifteen when Crimpshrine broke up. Oh and Pinhead Gunpowder who was Billy Joe from Green Day and Aaron Cometbus from Crimpshrine.. I LOVED Gilman in the 80's and 90's..

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly.

If Moz wants a good concert he should come to see SUEDE in Galway on July 23rd. Will be ace. Playing their new album first followed by a second set of greatest hits. I'll be the one swilling Galway Hooker (it's a lovely craft beer!).

When the f*** is Suede playing the US again? Last time I say them was in 93 opening for The Cranberries..

I LOVED the OP Ivy shows at Gilman in the 80's.. Crimpshrine, Green Day, Screeching Weasel who was from Chicago but played Gilman alot, and Fifteen when Crimpshrine broke up. Oh and Pinhead Gunpowder who was Billy Joe from Green Day and Aaron Cometbus from Crimpshrine.. I LOVED Gilman in the 80's and 90's..

- - - Updated - - -

When the f*** is Suede playing the US again? Last time I say them was in 93 opening for The Cranberries..

well it would probably go down fine as i cant imagine what about that set up would be an issue but really they dont have to play the set or show the same if they came here. theyd do fine if they did a mini tour in on the coasts to set the mood, ie itd take a second for people to hear the news etc, and create a presence and then did an extended tour the next year or even later in the same year. what about what you described would be an issue as im at a loss to what you mean.

i agree pretty much with everything you said darby, crash is also one of my all time heros, but screeching weasel is hard for me to take these days with ben becoming so untolerable in my eyes so i take the old records with a grain of salt these days though they still get get to me like a teen in heat. agree that pinhead gunpowder is pretty awesome as its like greenday never moved on from kerplunk or dookie which is a ok in my book. landlords, cold floors, knockin kniockin at our door, should we let em in... op ivy is still my fav though as jesses lyrics were like no other. the crowd and gonna find you, i love em

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom