Morrissey at the Rancid concert at the Roxy in LA

An anonymous person posts the link / photo:

From @MozzeriansATW / Twitter:

#Morrissey & the boys at tonight's @Rancid show @theroxy #westhollywood #LA photo courtesy of Jr. Bernal.

rancid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to ask - why on earth do you write like that? Is it such a problem to do full stops and capital letters? It appears that what you said was reasonable but it's so difficult to follow that I gave up.

im a substance over form guy and i have a personal distaste for grammarians who think form in any way signifies substance. i look to see who will take what was said seriously rather than those who will judge the post on how it was written. personally ive never had the experience myself of seeing a word in lower case letters where there are supposed to be capitols and and found myself confused as to what word was written and the words meaning. if people have a personal distaste for intentionally lazy grammar then thats fine with me as im indifferent to whether they read the post of not, thats up to them of course and if they see merit in what i write then thats up to them as well. i also do that with their and there. i mean im college educated with an iq of 141 and from maryland in the u.s, the most education focused state in the u.s and one of the most wealthy states here, number three, so its a conscious choice. i mean my language is hardly completely logical and has all sorts of phonetic contradictions among many other contradictions and if i dont find absolute pragmatic necessity in following its grammatic rules then i dont bother. in short ive a person distaste for grammar and the importance people place on it while also just not caring if people dont wanna read it because they dont like how its written provided they dont get mean or harass me about it (to be clear i dont place you in either of these categories). language evolves and people decide to keep what they find they need and abandon what they see as superfluous with majority consensus ruling and i dont think grammarians are winning that majority. to show another example of my commitment to this in the post a song thread thingy i usually post lyrics or the words and i copied and pasted the last set as im lazy but they had them posted with correct grammar and i had to go back and erase the capitol letters and replace them with incorrect lower case letters. i missed one and was kinda pissed about it lol. i also think it important to note that this posting is a background activity for me as im also watching my six month old who takes of course a lot of my attention, seriously watching something on streaming (currently the mini series carlos about the palestinian conflict and terrorist from the seventies which is amazing and highly recommended by the way (available on netflix) and writing fiction which is my main focus. i dont have a need to work so i do this in almost of my spare time. all of this meaning and adding up to the fact that i dont really care if i dont put in effort into the grammar of my posts and dont find my lazy indifferent approach to grammar in this setting to be in any way offensive. ive never called anyone a name or been at all childish or cruel or in any way to anyone which in my heart is what i think should take top priority in our communications. this isnt directed at you but these are things ive been told by others here so i just wanted to make myself clear to all. sorry for the length but i wanted to answer honestly and im not a simple kind of guy i guess.

ironically though if you had trouble reading my first post youll probably not be able to read the response and explanation. the worlds an interesting place thank god or whomever

Tour cancelled but M is still spending time with his band. Hopefully they're writing new material. Maybe something rawer, more immediate.
There's endless schadenfreude about Morrissey's career around these parts -- but don't underestimate him!

Hopefully he's getting back in touch with his punk roots and a DIY attitude. Being a independent artist opens up so many different opportunities for him. Sooner or later he has to come around.

I've heard of Rancid but not too familiar with their music. In any case nice to see Morrissey out going to shows.

Exactly.

If Moz wants a good concert he should come to see SUEDE in Galway on July 23rd. Will be ace. Playing their new album first followed by a second set of greatest hits. I'll be the one swilling Galway Hooker (it's a lovely craft beer!).

Unfortunately Morrissey hasn't had a kind word to say about Suede since his falling out with Brett Anderson (some 20 years ago). On the subject of Suede, I really wish they would tour the US again :(

um no not really. rancid used to be operation ivy the last legendary hardcore/roots/political band from the early eighties to about 89 when there singer, jesse, left because he didnt like the fact that they were getting popular with people he didnt care for and didnt want to sign with a major. the closest comparison to rancid that you guys might know are the clash who tim worships mixed with the uk subs. they play roots reggea influenced hardcore and possess one of the most talented bassists in the genre or almost any genre for that matter. they made platinum albums without compromising there sound in the least but theyre also just very very good musicians and excellent classic song writers with a lot of authenticity. they sound nothing like greenday, whom i like, and the only association they have is there friendship with them because they both came up in the legendary 924 gilman and know each other personally. also sound nothing like the ramones who do have something in common with greenday sound wise. soundwise they sound like the first clash album, though harder as they came from the hardcore scene, mixed with some london calling and many other influences. not much pop about them except that they got popular in the wake of nirvana when labels were trying to sign anything to do with punk or hardcore, seaweed im looking at you here, so i doubt many here will know much about them but thats the story. very cool to see moz has such good taste in music and if you listen to the music i think it hard to doubt there ability even if you dont care for that sound

too punk; didn't read

Hopefully he's getting back in touch with his punk roots and a DIY attitude. Being a independent artist opens up so many different opportunities for him. Sooner or later he has to come around.

rancid put out a lot of there records on warners or some other major i believe as that was was the times so i dont know about diy or anything. even labels like phat and epitaph were fairly larger than a diy label by the mid nineties. the jerry connection, he did there major label debut, is where he probably first came into contact but who knows many artists with unrelated music often meet and see each other in various ways. jerry was great of course and is on many a punk rock or connected to punk rock albums such as jawbreakers major (thats a piece of american punk rock majr label history right there by itself) as well as the suicide machines bad religion and pennywise. of course did many a pop punk album as well with green day mxpx blink 182 but people i think forget or dont know he has also worked with many a straight pop act which might have influenced mozs choice such as the goo goo dolls a boy named goo, that horrible band ash, weezer, fastball ( a one hit wonder but still very popular at the time) and the very underrated indie rock band that dog, marvelous three which is funny since walker went on to be such a big name producer himself, super drag, the living end, the smoking popes etc. jerrys a legend and its a well deserved mantle

He looks like a very naughty boy, to me. Bring back the cane. And the one who was suprised he is going out, ffs, he's in his 50s not 70s lol. The world is truly nuts.

Christ, shut the f*** up already.

What's the matter Pikey ? We all know it's coming, I'm sure Steve and Diesel are working on it now as they watch The ballad of Barry and Freda on utube.
I'm expecting a death statement with a heavy play on being Northern and gritty, streets upon streets upon streets kinda thing and maybe a touch of drinking tea.
Let's wait and see, should be good this one I reckon he's gonna go all out on it for drama.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Look again Colonel. I see Gustav and did it not occur to you that the other people may not be in the frame of the photograph. I thought things looked quiet in Bowdon.

Crikey your right, I didn't recognise the Lawnmowers in their civvies, I thought they all had to wear matching threads when on Lawnmowing duties. Let's hope and pray they've got proper contracts if he's got them writing new stuff for him.
In all honesty I just assumed it was a queue for a gay bar ! SORRY ! I meant to say humasexual bar as there's no chuff in sight,
I know Martin is wed but are the others a bit g SORRY huma ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher

The very early 90s actually. Tim Armstrong and Matt Freeman were in Operation Ivy before Rancid though. They split in 1991.

last show was gilman may 1989. rancid formed in 1991 with lars joining later in 1993 but does not sing on there debut or feature. after op ivy broke up they fromed downfall which nofx frontman is described to have liked in the liner notes of there split release (phat), then generator and then the dance hall crashers though they didnt stay and finally rancid in 1991. lars didnt want to play as he went to the uk subs but came on board for lets go there second album.

video of there last show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83-AK7tpe5k

one of my all time favorite bands. jesse micheals lyrics are amazing and he is for sure one of my heros

You know I really do admire Damon, for someone that is a PA, that cat puts in a helluva lot of overtime.

Isn't that Mando Lopez far left?

im a substance over form guy and i have a personal distaste for grammarians who think form in any way signifies substance. i look to see who will take what was said seriously rather than those who will judge the post on how it was written. personally ive never had the experience myself of seeing a word in lower case letters where there are supposed to be capitols and and found myself confused as to what word was written and the words meaning. if people have a personal distaste for intentionally lazy grammar then thats fine with me as im indifferent to whether they read the post of not, thats up to them of course and if they see merit in what i write then thats up to them as well. i also do that with their and there. i mean im college educated with an iq of 141 and from maryland in the u.s, the most education focused state in the u.s and one of the most wealthy states here, number three, so its a conscious choice. i mean my language is hardly completely logical and has all sorts of phonetic contradictions among many other contradictions and if i dont find absolute pragmatic necessity in following its grammatic rules then i dont bother. in short ive a person distaste for grammar and the importance people place on it while also just not caring if people dont wanna read it because they dont like how its written provided they dont get mean or harass me about it (to be clear i dont place you in either of these categories). language evolves and people decide to keep what they find they need and abandon what they see as superfluous with majority consensus ruling and i dont think grammarians are winning that majority. to show another example of my commitment to this in the post a song thread thingy i usually post lyrics or the words and i copied and pasted the last set as im lazy but they had them posted with correct grammar and i had to go back and erase the capitol letters and replace them with incorrect lower case letters. i missed one and was kinda pissed about it lol. i also think it important to note that this posting is a background activity for me as im also watching my six month old who takes of course a lot of my attention, seriously watching something on streaming (currently the mini series carlos about the palestinian conflict and terrorist from the seventies which is amazing and highly recommended by the way (available on netflix) and writing fiction which is my main focus. i dont have a need to work so i do this in almost of my spare time. all of this meaning and adding up to the fact that i dont really care if i dont put in effort into the grammar of my posts and dont find my lazy indifferent approach to grammar in this setting to be in any way offensive. ive never called anyone a name or been at all childish or cruel or in any way to anyone which in my heart is what i think should take top priority in our communications. this isnt directed at you but these are things ive been told by others here so i just wanted to make myself clear to all. sorry for the length but i wanted to answer honestly and im not a simple kind of guy i guess.

ironically though if you had trouble reading my first post youll probably not be able to read the response and explanation. the worlds an interesting place thank god or whomever
haha that's great. i dont like capitals either. im for letter equality.

Why all these comparisons with Green Day? Isn't Green Day corporate, fake, sell-out music--homogenized for the masses? I understand they deliberately stole material(s) from a rather unknown band called Stiff Little Fingers--? Someone help. Peace, and thanks.

Why all these comparisons with Green Day? Isn't Green Day corporate, fake, sell-out music--homogenized for the masses? I understand they deliberately stole material(s) from a rather unknown band called Stiff Little Fingers--? Someone help. Peace, and thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom