Morrissey at the movies

Belgian-based Latvian editor Elina Ventere finally released her project 'Morrissey at the movies'.

As she herself says:

""Morrissey at the Movies" is online!
I had so much fun discovering some great cinematic pearls and I even had more fun making this little compilation cause Morrissey has passions just like mine"

Thank you for this.
Morrissey's own selection that are often quoted:

"Movieline, March 1993

Morrissey

"My relentless obsession with British films of the '40s, '50s and '60s has had an overwhelming influence on everything I've ever written. The list of favorites could be endless: The Killing of Sister George (1969), It Always Rains on Sunday (1947), Poor Cow (1967), The Leather Boys (1963), Yield to the Night (1956), Flame in the Streets (1961), Spring and Port Wine (1970), Woman in a Dressing Gown (1957), The October Man (1947), Turn the Key Softly (1953), An Inspector Calls (1954), We Are the Lambeth Boys (1959), Victim (1961), Charlie Bubbles (1968), The Family Way (1966), A Kind of Loving (1962), To Sir with Love (1967), Oliver Twist (1948), Billy Liar (1963), Dance Hall (1950), The Ladykillers (1955). Modern films do not inspire me at all. I refuse to watch anything post-1971 because every story had been told by then.""

Culled from a scan of a hard to find publication that @davidt had the good sense to scan (images: see here).

Regards,
FWD.

Would be great to see a definitive compilation of all the movie references in Moz songs.

Another line from A Taste of Honey springs to mind:

For "The Collector", why not play "you can pin and mount me like a butterfly" instead of I Want The One I Can't Have? Am I missing something here?

First time I saw this type of collection of Moz in the movies was in the year of the Lord 1998 which is now 21 years ago.

Kind of cute when these snowflakes who discovered the man during the latest tour bore our pants off with useless info known to fans for decades.

We all know Morrissey was influenced by popular culture, but this type of compilation makes him seem more like a clever content aggregator than an original voice.

that cemetary scene in billy liar is hilarious when he tries to slip her a sex pill,totally backfires.watched sleuth a fortnight ago watched rebel without a cause about a month ago,with so many film channels these days you will eventually come across most of these films at some point.

Now we need Urbanus for the links...
Yes sweetie you do!

LOL

I've not thought about it but it would be a good idea to find them all online and post them somewhere here on the board.

But I am busy talking to the police right now. Don't ask me why.

We all know Morrissey was influenced by popular culture, but this type of compilation makes him seem more like a clever content aggregator than an original voice.
Not the first singer to nick a line from something on tv and make a whole song about it. Like a serial killer he plays with our minds and leaves clues here and there for us to find.

When we do we feel special.

iv seen 31,could be more,such an extensive list.some great films in there.
Oh go smack a dangy goodle wally in the hay in Pittodrie ye arse scum of the world prick wanker geezer.

LOL

Your mate Urbanus still wondering who your haters are and it's become quite funny by now.

Tags
cinema inspiration movies

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom