Morrissey at Johnny Ramone tribute in Hollywood (Aug. 26, 2018)

Details posted by Famous when dead:

The actual article:

Billie Joe Armstrong, Duff, Jonesy, Fred and Moz Show for Johnny Ramone - California Rocker

Morrissey’s New Record.
“I’m here in Los Angeles doing some recording,” he told CaliforniaRocker.com in the VIP tent at the event. “I wouldn’t miss this.”

Morrissey was kind to the fans, posing for pictures and then jamming along in the audience with McKagan, Armstrong, Armisen and Jonesy on stage.

44078_moz-poses-with-linda-3-at-ramones-tribute-1-of-1.jpg

Morrissey and Linda Ramone strike a dramatic pose

Pointing out Ramones badges:
44077_moz-pins-at-ramones-tribute-1-of-1.jpg

44076_44070_moz-in-the-crowd-2-at-ramones-tribute-1-of-1-e1535365392439.jpg

All credit to Donna Balancia.

(more photos in article and comments)

8B30802F-749D-4293-81D8-9E9073C421B7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It would probably be great, but he's a good friend of Johnny's - don't think he'd be inclined. I'm sure he's gotten an earful about that working relationship.

Well he already tried once back In the day didn’t he. I think the story goes that Bernard was asked to change a few things and refused and sorta got angry about it. I love Bernard but at that point in time he didn’t really have the reputation of an easy going partner ready to compromise. I think the song was yes which surfaced with the McAlmont and butler project which to me makes it funny as mcalmont recently mentioned that morrissey asked him if he thought the song would be a hit. Didn’t the first go around of mcalmont and Butler album also not to exactly as planned either. Bernard seems much more relaxed these days though and I admit it’s sound great. That said I do have some appreciation for morrisseys loyalty to his friends and workmates. Firing your friend from the band so you can get someone considered better kinda stinks of what a corporate pop star would do

The preservation of national differences and cultures.

Here's a quote from Alexander Solzhenitsyn that I (and definitely Moz would) agree with:

Internationalization tears people away from all traditions. It's almost as if it rids the person of individuality. Perhaps not their own personal individuality, but something that could be described as its spiritual nucleus, a spiritual kernel perhaps. There is an illusion of world unity that carries with it the threat to local cultures. It is an illusory unity.

when you say he ( Jesse ?) is 'mediocre', that is just your opinion. Just
wondering how you came to that opinion, what is it based on, how do you measure it ?
That's a bit disingenuous, Ket. It's lots of people's opinion and not just mine, as you well know. But since you ask...

He lacks both technical skill and creativity, when playing live and in his compositions. His playing does not stir, impress or excite: it is a clodhopping series of clanging power chords and the odd fumbled riff. Quite often his solos are a stuttering mess. Sometimes he plays wrong notes. Many of his songs are in my opinion among the worst Morrissey has written (although I quite like You Have Killed Me, so I'll give him that).

Not liking somebody's style of playing is, I agree, subjective. But a lack of technical skill is there for anybody who cares to listen and is entirely quantifiable.

There you go. That's how I come to that opinion. You have, I expect, a different one, and that's absolutely fine by me.

That's a bit disingenuous, Ket. It's lots of people's opinion and not just mine, as you well know. But since you ask...

He lacks both technical skill and creativity, when playing live and in his compositions. His playing does not stir, impress or excite: it is a clodhopping series of clanging power chords and the odd fumbled riff. Quite often his solos are a stuttering mess. Sometimes he plays wrong notes. Many of his songs are in my opinion among the worst Morrissey has written (although I quite like You Have Killed Me, so I'll give him that).

Not liking somebody's style of playing is, I agree, subjective. But a lack of technical skill is there for anybody who cares to listen and is entirely quantifiable.

There you go. That's how I come to that opinion. You have, I expect, a different one, and that's absolutely fine by me.

:rolleyes:
Pep is to the guitar as Skinny is to Fungus
:straightface:
o_O
:crazy:

DramaJ guitar abilities suck:elephant: balls . Not in a good way.:lbf:

Hey he looks friendly enough, the sort of peeps you could find yourself talking to at a party...

"- So what is you do again?
- I collect stuff by serial killers. Hey, I know Morrissi, he buys stuff all the time. Wanna meet him?

- Wait! ...Come back! I also know Johnny Depp!!
...And Jesse Tobias! I know Jesse Tobias!!!

:rock:
Anybody who gives themselves a silly pirate nickname is shit in my book.

-George "Flapjacks and blunt objects" 23

The preservation of national differences and cultures.

Here's a quote from Alexander Solzhenitsyn that I (and definitely Moz would) agree with:

Internationalization tears people away from all traditions. It's almost as if it rids the person of individuality. Perhaps not their own personal individuality, but something that could be described as its spiritual nucleus, a spiritual kernel perhaps. There is an illusion of world unity that carries with it the threat to local cultures. It is an illusory unity.
However, Al was very specifically speaking of this in relation to an all powerful government going out of its way to annhilate difference :straightface: not in any way shape or form immigration policies which force conformity or stifle it completely, and to tbh?
It’s a pretty intrinsic part of British culture to accept into it people from different places and different lands, especially for reasons of political and religious persecution. One needs make a distinction between this and what was going on under the EU system where BRITISH EMPLOYERS were turning to the continent for cheaper labor because they could, no one made them do this, they did for the money man...

Anyone living in Britain would agree that the sheer amount of demographic change in Britain has affected the country in a negative way. Yes, companies love to import cheap labour, so the government of both sides do whatever the corporations say. Hence the slow death of British culture in so many ways.

Morrissey was so right on this.

It's depressing to witness the pained and dying corpse. To see something you've loved and admired all your life turn to shit. For example, say an old building rich in important London history was facing the threat of demolition and being replaced with a drive-thru McDonalds. Would the new demographic of London care? They'd say: Bring it on, we love McDonalds! These are the people that the government and the corporations love. The more dumb and stupid the better. These are also the people who they tell me I am being enriched by. Who they tell me are vibrant, cultural and wonderful.

London is now a city with a minority of whites, possibly 2o% at most I'd say. One group in particular are hacking and killing each other daily for fun. All the other big cities in England have dramatically changed too. Despite the propaganda that tries and usually succeeds in shaping most of our opinions, there's absolutely nothing to celebrate in this.

According to Rolling Stone Magazine Marr is 51st in their list of 100 greatest guitarists, voted for by other musicians. In some other publications he's listed at number 22 and 26. Cant find Jesse listed anywhere for some reason?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-153675/johnny-marr-53077/

I think he is a great guitarist, don't need a poll or magazine to tell that to me, or what to like or not to like, that's called trusting ones own tastes.

Anyways I posed a question in the post you are replying to ....

So why do some people here want Jesse to sound like Marr and not one of the other 99 out of a hundred guitarists that RS claim to be the '100 greatest guitarists' ?

Or to quote mcrickson ....

' You should probably get over the death of the Smiths.'

:cool:

And the Smiths renditions. The undiluted f***ing horror of his Smiths renditions. Cemetry Gates, Last Night I Dreamt, Boy with the Thorn... it's like watching a child get out a box of crayons and scrawl on the Mona Lisa :lbf:.

He also has this bizarre habit of grimacing, as though with intense concentration, whilst playing the most basic chord progressions.

And let's all remember the time he agreed to go on stage wearing a bra/Speedos/stupid slogan T-shirts. Can you imagine Johnny, or Alain even, saying "Yes" to this?
article-2111076-120D7E46000005DC-95_1024x615_large.jpg

Last edited:
However, Al was very specifically speaking of this in relation to an all powerful government going out of its way to annhilate difference :straightface: not in any way shape or form immigration policies which force conformity or stifle it completely, and to tbh?
It’s a pretty intrinsic part of British culture to accept into it people from different places and different lands, especially for reasons of political and religious persecution. One needs make a distinction between this and what was going on under the EU system where BRITISH EMPLOYERS were turning to the continent for cheaper labor because they could, no one made them do this, they did for the money man...

Is this a tribute to the nonsensical Chezz (RIP) posts?
Peeps from the 'continent' have been pouring into the UK for many years, aint nobody going to the "continent" and grabbing anyone :crazy:

Anyone living in Britain would agree that the sheer amount of demographic change in Britain has affected the country in a negative way. Yes, companies love to import cheap labour, so the government of both sides do whatever the corporations say. Hence the slow death of British culture in so many ways.

Morrissey was so right on this.

It's depressing to witness the pained and dying corpse. To see something you've loved and admired all your life turn to shit. For example, say an old building rich in important London history was facing the threat of demolition and being replaced with a drive-thru McDonalds. Would the new demographic of London care? They'd say: Bring it on, we love McDonalds! These are the people that the government and the corporations love. The more dumb and stupid the better. These are also the people who they tell me I am being enriched by. Who they tell me are vibrant, cultural and wonderful.

London is now a city with a minority of whites, possibly 2o% at most I'd say. One group in particular are hacking and killing each other daily for fun. All the other big cities in England have dramatically changed too. Despite the propaganda that tries and usually succeeds in shaping most of our opinions, there's absolutely nothing to celebrate in this.
I could argue with some of your hyperbole but I won’t cuz the fact is the the deal the UK took with the EU was shit, I hope Brexit leads to something better. However, the rise of an ultra right wing race based nationalism never ever ends well, so good luck with combatting that at the same, cuz globalization is insidious prolly everywhere now, I saw it creeping into China, with no immigrants really, but McDonalds going up and ancient eateries there for literally a thousand years disappearing :oops:

Or to quote mcrickson ....

' You should probably get over the death of the Smiths.'

Mcrickson has long been a greater fan of M's solo career so he is an exception to the rule, but I feel that in general...

no fan is ever over the death of The Smiths! Least of all Morrissey himself, who, as another user said recently, will be thinking of it on his own deathbed.

Don't believe in much of your personal assessment regarding his technical skills as a guitarist. You probably think Derek Bailey or Bill Orcutt are terrible guitarists, but they're on my personal list of great guitarists/artists.

f*** popular opinion anyways, so I guess Lady Gaga and Trump or whatever is great in your eyes then.

I could argue with some of your hyperbole but I won’t cuz the fact is the the deal the uk took with EU was shit, I hope Brexit leads to something better. However, the rise of an ultra right wing race based nationalism never ever ends well, so good luck with combatting that at the same, cuz globalization is insidious prolly everywhere now, I saw it creeping into China, with no immigrants really, but McDonalds going up and ancient eateries there for literally a thousand years disappearing :oops:
The rise of right wing nationalisation in Europe is pure sensationalism. Take the protestors in Germany at the moment. The media is loving calling them all right wing nutters, when in reality they are mostly just ordinary people who don't like what Merkel has done/is doing to their country. They are being driven to the limit and it's understandable. Riotous protests often happen for perfectly good reasons. There's nothing wrong with loving your country and not wanting others from less civilised places being allowed to flood in. It doesn't mean everybody is suddenly a rabidly right wing nationalist, though the media are enjoying themselves painting it this way.

Just because Jeremy Corbyn despises what Israel is about doesn't mean he hates everyone who happens to be Jewish either. But the press are loving it. Pushing a deeper, more hysterical take on the subject every day. Anti-semitism and right wingism are everywhere! But not out here in the real world.

And the Smiths renditions. The undiluted f***ing horror of his Smiths renditions. Cemetry Gates, Last Night I Dreamt, Boy with the Thorn... it's like watching a child get out a box of crayons and scrawl on the Mona Lisa :lbf:.

He also has this bizarre habit of grimacing, as though with intense concentration, whilst playing the most basic chord progressions.

And let's all remember the time he agreed to go on stage wearing a bra/Speedos/stupid slogan T-shirts. Can you imagine Johnny, or Alain even, saying "Yes" to this?
article-2111076-120D7E46000005DC-95_1024x615_large.jpg

NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO LISTEN.

get a grip, move on.

Mcrickson has long been a greater fan of M's solo career so he is an exception to the rule, but I feel that in general...

no fan is ever over the death of The Smiths! Least of all Morrissey himself, who, as another user said recently, will be thinking of it on his own deathbed.

you really think so ?

I think he'll be praying that the headlines won't read...

' FORMER SMITHS FRONTMAN FOUND DEAD BLAH BLAH BLAH .... '

The rise of right wing nationalisation in Europe is pure sensationalism. Take the protestors in Germany at the moment. The media is loving calling them all right wing nutters, when in reality they are mostly just ordinary people who don't like what Merkel has done/is doing to their country. They are being driven to the limit and it's understandable. Riotous protests often happen for perfectly good reasons. There's nothing wrong with loving your country and not wanting others from less civilised places being allowed to flood in. It doesn't mean everybody is suddenly a rabidly right wing nationalist, though the media are enjoying themselves painting it this way.

Just because Jeremy Corbyn despises what Israel is about doesn't mean he hates everyone who happens to be Jewish either. But the press are loving it. Pushing a deeper, more hysterical take on the subject every day. Anti-semitism and right wingism are everywhere! But not out here in the real world.
f*** man, you do know I want to be right? The world would hopefully survive largely intact you being wrong :straightface: and yeah, I’ve many Jewish American friends and I take my cue from them on Israel to a degree and not a single one even remotely supports what the Israeli government is doing to the Palestinians, including the ones that went back and did their IDF service, maybe they detest it the most, since well, hard thing to be told to be shoot at kids throwing rocks o_O

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom