Morrissey at Johnny Ramone tribute in Hollywood (Aug. 26, 2018)

Details posted by Famous when dead:

The actual article:

Billie Joe Armstrong, Duff, Jonesy, Fred and Moz Show for Johnny Ramone - California Rocker

Morrissey’s New Record.
“I’m here in Los Angeles doing some recording,” he told CaliforniaRocker.com in the VIP tent at the event. “I wouldn’t miss this.”

Morrissey was kind to the fans, posing for pictures and then jamming along in the audience with McKagan, Armstrong, Armisen and Jonesy on stage.

44078_moz-poses-with-linda-3-at-ramones-tribute-1-of-1.jpg

Morrissey and Linda Ramone strike a dramatic pose

Pointing out Ramones badges:
44077_moz-pins-at-ramones-tribute-1-of-1.jpg

44076_44070_moz-in-the-crowd-2-at-ramones-tribute-1-of-1-e1535365392439.jpg

All credit to Donna Balancia.

(more photos in article and comments)

8B30802F-749D-4293-81D8-9E9073C421B7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We want Jesse to play like Marr because we are not seeking out to listen to Jesse, we are listening to Morrissey, and Jesse's playing is intrinsically associated to what we hear when we 'listen' to Morrissey.

Relate this to why there is probably less than 1% of people who actively seek out to listen to Marr sing Morrissey songs. Because we are not seeking to listen to Marr sing Morrissey's words. We are seeking out Marr's genius guitar playing talent.

It is important whether we like Jesse's playing, when he is playing Smith's or Morrissey songs. It is only not important if we are seeking to listen to Jesse strictly for his playing, which we are not.

If we choose to not listen to Jesse's playing because we simply don't like it, then we are missing out on the opportunity to listen to Morrissey. The correlation cannot be so easily dismissed.

Yes, he is doing what he likes, and of course he has the right to do that. But when his work is assoicated with the actual work we are seeking out, Morrissey's, then we have a valid reason to want Jesse to play more like Marr.

Be well...

Sorry, but he's looking like a desperate bellend in all these pics in my opinion.
He should stick to clutching on to his fame and headlines by harassing Italian motorbike cops, cancer etc. :rolleyes::cool:
Or writing some decent new songs with a decent set of musicians would be even better.
Oh well ! Never mind, it's always somebody else's fault, innit Steve :tiphat:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

I know that in a lot of ways, this is the least of his worries, but he needs to start buying shirts that he's capable of buttoning up.

Glad to see he's taken my advice and toned down the jewellery, liking the discreet bracelets, next to remedy the on going trouser problems ...

yes but why do we want Jesse to play like Marr or anyone else?

If you think his playing is good or bad is not important. Just a person doing what they want to do with their life. Enjoy what he has to offer or don't and find something that to you is better to listen to and move on.

Nah! Tobias sucks donkey cock he really is a terrible guitarist if he was any good the red hot chilli peppers would have kept him around but told that f***er to kick rocks only after a month, the only reason Morrissey keeps him around is because he probably dips his dick in Jesses Mexican bean dip ass.

Nah! Tobias sucks donkey cock he really is a terrible guitarist if he was any good the red hot chilli peppers would have kept him around but told that f***er to kick rocks only after a month, the only reason Morrissey keeps him around is because he probably dips his dick in Jesses Mexican bean dip ass.

Your mama got her hair cut like Johnny Marr.

Jesse is shit and he will always be. Horrendous face and such a poor guitar player.
Morrissey is happy with him, fair enough. He probably has unknown talents...

Boz and Alain have a healthy respect for Johnny and I believe Boz met him a few years ago and got on well with him. Somehow I cannot imagine that happening with Jesse - not only because he is nowhere near JM's calibre as a player, but because Jesse is a 24-carat Yes Man who wouldn't want to risk his meal ticket by upsetting the boss.

Whatever way you look at it, Jesse has had an easy ride in spite of his limitations. Morrissey had actually said he prefers that "muscular" sound to earlier songs, even. So Jesse trundles along, never mproving, never changing. Marr, meanwhile, was expected to co-produce albums and manage the band on top of being star guitar man. And the pay-off for that bizarre dichotomy? Jesse will never leave.

Boz and Alain have a healthy respect for Johnny and I believe Boz met him a few years ago and got on well with him. Somehow I cannot imagine that happening with Jesse - not only because he is nowhere near JM's calibre as a player, but because Jesse is a 24-carat Yes Man who wouldn't want to risk his meal ticket by upsetting the boss.

Whatever way you look at it, Jesse has had an easy ride in spite of his limitations. Morrissey had actually said he prefers that "muscular" sound to earlier songs, even. So Jesse trundles along, never mproving, never changing. Marr, meanwhile, was expected to co-produce albums and manage the band on top of being star guitar man. And the pay-off for that bizarre dichotomy? Jesse will never leave.
I just don't get it, though. Like I said further up the thread, the relationship has such an odd dynamic. Is it because Morrissey is stubbornly refusing to get rid of him just to spite his critics? Or is it simply because, like you say, he will never leave (unlike Johnny)? But then, Alain probably wouldn't have left had he not been forced out, and is demonstrably more talented (and was much more liked by the fans). Musically, I'd say he's the biggest factor in Morrissey's slide towards lumpen mediocrity. Has the man really become so detached from reality that all that's required is someone to endlessly flatter his ego?

I just don't get it, though. Like I said further up the thread, the relationship has such an odd dynamic. Is it because Morrissey is stubbornly refusing to get rid of him just to spite his critics? Or is it simply because, like you say, he will never leave (unlike Johnny)? But then, Alain probably wouldn't have left had he not been forced out, and is demonstrably more talented (and was much more liked by the fans). Musically, I'd say he's the biggest factor in Morrissey's slide towards lumpen mediocrity. Has the man really become so detached from reality that all that's required is someone to endlessly flatter his ego?

He's always been like that, hasn't he?

I see it like Sam and the artwork sleeves - the world and his wife can see that they're crap, but Moz is fond of him, maybe feels a bit of duty, maybe doesn't want the conflict. He's the Linda McCartney of the band (except she was pushed into it). Boz is band "leader" which maybe takes some off the pressure off Jesse too.

And he's reliable: more talented players are noticed, sought after, they session (Morrissey's pet peeve), they see what other possibilities are out there. Nobody is clamouring to have Jesse Tobias play on their albums.

He's always been like that, hasn't he?

I see it like Sam and the artwork sleeves - the world and his wife can see that they're crap, but Moz is fond of him, maybe feels a bit of duty, maybe doesn't want the conflict. He's the Linda McCartney of the band (except she was pushed into it). Boz is band "leader" which maybe takes some off the pressure off Jesse too.

And he's reliable: more talented players are noticed, sought after, they session (Morrissey's pet peeve), they see what other possibilities are out there. Nobody is clamouring to have Jesse Tobias play on their albums.
Yeah, I get that. But having somebody mediocre in your band just so nobody else will want them is a bit perverse, even by Morrissey's standards. 'The Linda McCartney of the band' :lbf: Whatever are you implying, Amy? :lbf:

We want Jesse to play like Marr because we are not seeking out to listen to Jesse, we are listening to Morrissey, and Jesse's playing is intrinsically associated to what we hear when we 'listen' to Morrissey.

Relate this to why there is probably less than 1% of people who actively seek out to listen to Marr sing Morrissey songs. Because we are not seeking to listen to Marr sing Morrissey's words. We are seeking out Marr's genius guitar playing talent.

It is important whether we like Jesse's playing, when he is playing Smith's or Morrissey songs. It is only not important if we are seeking to listen to Jesse strictly for his playing, which we are not.

If we choose to not listen to Jesse's playing because we simply don't like it, then we are missing out on the opportunity to listen to Morrissey. The correlation cannot be so easily dismissed.

Yes, he is doing what he likes, and of course he has the right to do that. But when his work is assoicated with the actual work we are seeking out, Morrissey's, then we have a valid reason to want Jesse to play more like Marr.

Be well...

'we' 'we' 'we' ?

Please, speak for yourself.

And why Marr? why not any other guitarist ?

Be well...

You should probably get over the death of the Smiths.

I've always thought Bernard Butler should send some music Moz's way. A tape of twelve perfectly written instrumentals. Now that would be interesting...

I've always thought Bernard Butler should send some music Moz's way. A tape of twelve perfectly written instrumentals. Now that would be interesting...

Why would Butler want to tarnish his reputation by recording with a washed up racist?

He wouldn’t go near him

It would probably be great, but he's a good friend of Johnny's - don't think he'd be inclined. I'm sure he's gotten an earful about that working relationship.

The guy at the top is a friend of Jesse's. He calls himself Danny Lethal and he runs a lame ass gallery down town, has stuff by serial killers .

Hey he looks friendly enough, the sort of peeps you could find yourself talking to at a party...

"- So what is you do again?
- I collect stuff by serial killers. Hey, I know Morrissi, he buys stuff all the time. Wanna meet him?

- Wait! ...Come back! I also know Johnny Depp!!
...And Jesse Tobias! I know Jesse Tobias!!!

:rock:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom