Morrissey as folk devil

• Thread starter Deleted member 29417
  • Start date
Question 1: Do you find yourself having a strange growing desire to invade Poland...?

:rolleyes:

Question 1: Do you find yourself having a strange growing desire to invade Poland...?

:rolleyes:

Oh, so that's why I got ******* instead of *********...

Morrissey said Hitler was left-wing!

I really don't know why this is always presented as evidence that he's a racist or a fascist, but it is.

Anyway - there was a book out that Morrissey may have read - Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg - & it was reviewed in The Guardian's sister paper, The Observer.

20201001_092858.jpg

20201001_092912.jpg

So it's not a uniquely insane thing to say.

It's taken from a scatter gun answer to a question about dedicating an album to Dick Gregory.

Dick is an American civil rights activist & comedian, who was also an animal rights activist, who distrusted governments, didn't like tax & was a bit of a conspiracy theory loon - his memes & wiki give the general idea:

7605ae84b16805d5710ec9e37b9d9f00.jpg

20201001_095223.jpg

20201001_095940.jpg

20201001_091217.jpg

20201001_091234.jpg

20201001_091300.jpg

But Dorian Lynskey decides all of this muddle is Morrissey clarifying his views - he hates immigrants & Islam - the usual. There are no excuses & every passing remark can be paraphrased into a prosecution:

20201001_101441.jpg

20201001_101425.jpg

Whatabout other cultural figures with genuinely clarified views who get embroiled in racism scandals?

20201001_101524.jpg

20201001_101508.jpg

Or other people called racist by the left for a remark they made?

20201001_104150.jpg

Or art written by people accused of hating vulnerable minorities?

20201001_105304.jpg

20201001_105435.jpg

Oh.

It's fair to say Morrissey has tunnel vision about animal rights & a terrible taste in marginal politicians - but everything else is just wanting him to be normal.

He's still sensitive & fond of outsiders & outcasts.

You're just never going to get a sane, coherent, workable political manifesto out of him.

Asian Rut regularly turns up in the list of Moz crimes, though no one explains why, so I have to assume they think the word Asian in the title is racist.

Or that Rut makes it racist, though it can mean aggressive male sexual excitement, so it's probably connected to the idea that violence is a form of sexual rivalry. It might even make you wonder how very was the best friend.

The album it comes from, Kill Uncle, has an air of sardonic ennui, so as with Mute Witness, you could suspect that he was mocking the distress of the song's protagonist, in this case the boy trying & failing to get revenge. But in context it's more about the way fate mocks us.

The Asian boy is the hero so he gets the title.

& we don't know if the narrator will get home, or if, having witnessed the crime, the English boys will get him next.

The only other objection could be that the Asian boy is English too, but it's about a fight centred around group identity & its a drama, not a lecture.

Morrissey has described himself as both English & Irish Catholic, so he knows the way labels move around regardless of nationality.

20201002_101000.jpg

Moz being positive & negative about his Irish community, Manchester & London:
20200930_183424.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey is bad for being depressed & suicidal most of his life.

They actually phoned The Samaritans to get a critical statement out of them.

View attachment 59629

His comments following Kurt Cobain's suicide probably would have ended his career in the Current Climate™️.

In 1995:

"What did Kurt Cobain's suicide mean to you?
I felt sad and I felt envious. He had the courage to do it. I admire people who self-destruct and that's not a new comment for me. They are taking control. They're refusing to continue with unhappiness, which shows tremendous self-will. It must be very frightening to sit down and look at your watch and think, 'In 30 minutes I will not be here.' Thinking, 'I'm going to go on that strange journey.' Modern life is very pressurising. We're all on the verge of hysteria. There are people around who'll shoot your head off because you forgot to indicate."

But quite contradictory in 1997:

"In truth, I actually knew very little about him until he died. For some reason, I managed to avoid the music. And when he died, like many other people, I suddenly noticed him. But really I wouldn't say I had a special time set aside for him. Obviously I knew of his death. Lots of people manage to weather fame and they don't self destruct. And lots of people remain reasonably happy. Yes, lots of people are ruined by it, but I feel that dying isn't worth it. Perhaps he could have changed his life and been a completely different person and tried to do different things. I don't know."

Consistently inconsistent.

His comments following Kurt Cobain's suicide probably would have ended his career in the Current Climate™️.

In 1995:

"What did Kurt Cobain's suicide mean to you?
I felt sad and I felt envious. He had the courage to do it. I admire people who self-destruct and that's not a new comment for me. They are taking control. They're refusing to continue with unhappiness, which shows tremendous self-will. It must be very frightening to sit down and look at your watch and think, 'In 30 minutes I will not be here.' Thinking, 'I'm going to go on that strange journey.' Modern life is very pressurising. We're all on the verge of hysteria. There are people around who'll shoot your head off because you forgot to indicate."

But quite contradictory in 1997:

"In truth, I actually knew very little about him until he died. For some reason, I managed to avoid the music. And when he died, like many other people, I suddenly noticed him. But really I wouldn't say I had a special time set aside for him. Obviously I knew of his death. Lots of people manage to weather fame and they don't self destruct. And lots of people remain reasonably happy. Yes, lots of people are ruined by it, but I feel that dying isn't worth it. Perhaps he could have changed his life and been a completely different person and tried to do different things. I don't know."

Consistently inconsistent.

It would be Twitter bloodbath.

It makes him a better writer though!

It would be Twitter bloodbath.

It makes him a better writer though!
It's a small miracle that they didn't hang him for Jim Jim Falls but maybe they were still exhausted from last year's witch hunt.

It's a small miracle that they didn't hang him for Jim Jim Falls but maybe they were still exhausted from last year's witch hunt.

There was a bit but it didn't take off... arts reviews that are really reviews of the artist's place in hot-take culture are a bane.

Yes, a suicidal narrator telling himself to either do it or stop talking about it is exactly like Piers Morgan complaining about vegan sausage rolls. 🙄🙄🙄

20201003_223754.jpg

The song seems to be comparing falling in love to killing yourself - so by kill yourself he might mean have a relationship.

Which would be very Morrissey.

20201003_191751.jpg

On a side note, I really don't understand why hacks think Moz is proudly making relentless outbursts.

Everyone else is tweeting belligerent nonsense night & day & Moz has had a few sentences ripped out of interviews spanning decades.

plus a flag, a pin & a t-shirt.

Once someone is made a pariah any attack on them can be justified no matter how bigoted.

His looks, age, sexuality, gender identity, clothes, social isolation, & mental health struggles are fair game.

For example:

20200514_182029.jpg

20200929_184531.jpg

20201002_132659.jpg

20201002_132643.jpg

& if, like Tone, you've written a book about The Smiths, you can assume there's no blackness in the lyrics & you can boycott Thelma Houston.

20201002_171045.jpg

It can't be argued that he's getting what he's given, Moz's barbs come from one person & tend to boil down to complaints about cruelty to animals, authority or unfair amounts of coverage being given to things he doesn't love at the expense of the obscure & well scumified things he does love.

& he's also harder on himself than anyone else.

20201003_001621.jpg

20201003_041157.jpg

20201003_001022.jpg

20201004_011344.jpg

& in his own peculiar way he's trying to breakdown barriers not enforce them - he just doesn't believe it can work.

20201004_012037.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Once someone is made a pariah any attack on them can be justified no matter how bigoted.

His looks, age, sexuality, gender identity, clothes, social isolation, & mental health struggles are fair game.

For example:

View attachment 59657

View attachment 59658

View attachment 59659

View attachment 59660

& if, like Tone, you've written a book about The Smiths, you can assume there's no blackness in the lyrics & you can boycott Thelma Houston.

View attachment 59661

It can't be argued that he's getting what he's given, Moz's barbs come from one person & tend to boil down to complaints about cruelty to animals, authority or unfair amounts of coverage being given to things he doesn't love at the expense of the obscure & well scumified things he does love.

& he's also harder on himself than anyone else.

View attachment 59662

View attachment 59663

View attachment 59664

View attachment 59665

& in his own peculiar way he's trying to breakdown barriers not enforce them - he just doesn't believe it can work.

View attachment 59666

You don't talk much about Morrissey's music and his artistry. You focus a lot on left-wing politics. Are you from a political party?

You know a lot about Morrissey maybe from researching him online and social media like Twitter. But do you really know and understand him though?

I really hope you get to meet Morrissey and get to talk politics with him. Morrissey has some great friends like James Maker and Linder and he has a great family.

You don't talk much about Morrissey's music and his artistry. You focus a lot on left-wing politics. Are you from a political party?

You know a lot about Morrissey maybe from researching him online and social media like Twitter. But do you really know and understand him though?

I really hope you get to meet Morrissey and get to talk politics with him. Morrissey has some great friends like James Maker and Linder and he has a great family.

It's a thread about his publicity.

Reel, you may as well take Stephen's advice. You took your neo-Nazi troll beyond the point it can impact on Moz, so we have nothing to talk about.

d67b6d63fa06b30dff93cea70b8a9303.gif

he's also harder on himself than anyone else.

He really is and it becomes very clear from these passages from Autobiography (which I found very sad to read. Simply because it's not true. I mean, to me he's still stunning now, but even more so when the book first came out.)

"At a television studio I stand before the crowd like a political reformer, and then I catch sight of myself in an enormous camera lens and I look fat. But if I hadn’t noticed fatness I would have noticed something far worse. The critical eye never fails to find a flaw. What I am saying to people is: This is why I adapt poorly to the outside world, and by the way, let me kiss you." (Not sure which year this is, probably 2004-ish?)

"By Wednesday we are on the George Lopez television show in Burbank. ‘You know Morrissey’s here when you can’t get into your own dressing room,’ he announces on air (and this is not because I am inside pulling at the door handle). I feel fat and ugly, but I pipe my way through Don’t make fun of Daddy’s voice, of the lost canon, an A-side hit in a drawn-out dream." (2009)

And cementing his long-standing fascination with drummers, while metaphorically (and unfairly) reducing himself to a "fat blob":

"Onstage, I turn and watch Matt’s have-come-am-here earthquake determination and I recover from a lost moment. Inspiration is everything, and Matt is the trainer stirring the fat blob who dreams of pizza with every sit-up count, and calling the team to the 50-yard line." (2009)

Last edited:
Tags
folk devil media morrissey
Back
Top Bottom