Morrissey announces new album, 'California Son', for March 2019 - Folha

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Famous when dead, Oct 26, 2018.

By Famous when dead on Oct 26, 2018 at 6:56 PM
  1. Famous when dead

Famous when dead Vulgarian Moderator

Via translate:
    Morrissey announces new album, 'California Son', for March 2019.
    The album will have twelve tracks and was recorded by the same producer of The Strokes and U2.

João Perassolo
    João Paulo Martins
    SAO PAUILO
    Singer-songwriter Morrissey, a former lead singer of the English band The Smiths , first laid out details of their new album, which will be released in March 2019.

In an interview with Folha , the British said that the album will be called "California Son" and will bring twelve songs written by a collection of American composers.

The album was produced by Joe Chicarelli - who has worked with names like The Strokes, U2 and Elton John - and recorded at the famous Sunset Sound studio in Los Angeles. "Joe brought in a lot of new musicians and we experimented with a lot of sounds. Everything went fantastically well and we are proud, "said the singer.
    The album will feature the participation of singer Laura Pergolizzi, better known as LP, in two tracks. She has written songs for Rihanna and Christina Aguilera.

In April of this year, Morrissey announced on its website that it had completed recordings of a new single, also at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles.

It's "Back on the Chain Gang," written by Chrissie Hynde and recorded by The Pretenders in 1982. The song, which has been played live by Morrissey since 2017, is likely to be part of the new album.

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/amp/i...disco-california-son-para-marco-de-2019.shtml

Also via Bemparana (same story):
    https://www.bemparana.com.br/noticia/morrissey-anuncia-novo-disco-california-son-para-marco-de-2019
    And Ricmais (same story):
    https://ricmais.com.br/sc/noticias/morrissey-anuncia-novo-disco-california-son-para-marco-de-2019

You saw it here first with actual credited sources.
    Regards,
    FWD.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 19
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Insightful Insightful x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Famous when dead, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      It's not an opinion on anything most of the time, just crude vulgar name-calling. It serves no purpose and is very unpleasant for anyone who has to scroll through it in order to read other people's posts who contribute something of value.
      • Like Like x 5
    2. Poppycocteau.
      Poppycocteau.
      I really, really hope 'Because The Night', 'Mary's Prayer' and 'Heaven Is A Place On Earth' are on it.
      • Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. Alexi
      Alexi
      Oh, Because the night , that was one of the first singles I bought, I still have it, lovely song
      • Like Like x 4
    4. Eric Hartman
      Eric Hartman
      Isn’t XANADU an American classic?
      • Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Mayfly
      Mayfly
      Nice try, but the album title is "California Son" instead of "California Sun", so I guess that Ramones song (cover) won't be on there.
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    6. Famous when dead
      Famous when dead
      All the regular band members have contributed to this album and indicated they were at the same studio via social media. Boz left the main session a couple of days early due to a family emergency.
      See:
      https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/moz-band-at-work-apparently.142822/
      There are a host of threads covering things like the studio, session musicians and instruments, one of the songs being recorded etc if you dig around with the search tool.
      Regards,
      FWD.
    7. Thewlis
      Thewlis
      I know, but at least more likely than the only other song out there with the name proper.
    8. Orson Swells
      Orson Swells
      I must say I like the title and am looking forward to this. Lots of artists I've followed over the years have recorded covers albums and actually been reinvigorated, almost reinvented by them. Dylan and Cash spring to mind. I wonder if either of them or L Cohen or L Reed may be on the track listing. Unlikely, but you never know.
      • Like Like x 6
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    9. Surface
      Surface
      It’s the same for registered members who have to scroll through shit loads of anonymous troll posts to get to anything remotely interesting.
      • Like Like x 4
    10. Peppermint
      Peppermint
      It's called word play. The man is quite well-known for it. And on that basis I would say there's at least a reason to wonder.
      • Like Like x 5
    11. Peppermint
      Peppermint
      The Cash ones were wonderful. And yes, some Cohen would be great.
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      You’re an idiot.
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. ACTON
      ACTON
      BMG? Didn't he sign a 2 record deal with them? I think he did.
    14. ACTON
      ACTON
      Pity he didn't cover a Suede song like The Wild Ones or Sleeping Pills. I know they are a UK band but that would be amazing.
      • Like Like x 4
    15. Thewlis
      Thewlis
      Yes, I know, but strange that this info hasn’t been revealed by them, which you would expect.

And in the article there is no mention of who releases it where.
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    16. AztecCamera
      AztecCamera
      I reckon my work is almost done here. When Uncle Steve and Aunt Nancy have the public wedding on Malibu and Uncle Steve admits he was born in the San Fernando Valley and just tagged along with Chrissie Hynde on the trip to Brittin and got lucky with his stepping stone The Smiths, than I will stop posting. Blikey blood reckon can Air Morrissey be any more American and a proud California resident. He will run for governor of California in his 60's.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Troll Troll x 1
    17. Thewlis
      Thewlis
      VU’s European Son is one of his faves, so who knows. Cohen, Dylan certainly not.

So far we have The Pretenders and Tim Buckley, stylistically and era-wise quite far apart which is a good thing.

I expect him to cover mostly 60s and 70s songs, maybe one more recent one, like Smoking Popes.
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Orson Swells
      Orson Swells
      You are probably right. Though he almost quoted Cohen in Hand in Glove, didn't he?
    19. Thewlis
      Thewlis
      Yes, Take This Longing.
      But he’s never sung LC’s praises, what always has surprised me. Just like Scott Walker for instance.

On the other hand, it took him 30 years to start mentioning Tim Buckley, so who knows.
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Surface
      Surface
      Yes I now accept you have been right all along, Steve was clearly born and raised in LA. Looking forward to him being governor of California. It’s been nice reading your posts over the years and am pleased you have been proven right, been nice knowing you and you can finally retire from this site knowing your work is complete. Adios Aztec.
      • Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Troll Troll x 1