Morrissey and SER driving at high speed in wrong direction according to police - La Repubblica

Hey just so you know, here is the police version from the italian newspaper "La Repubblica":

Roma, Morrissey litiga col poliziotto in via del Corso. “Minacce e urla” - La Repubblica
"Poteva uccidermi - accusa la rockstar - impugnava una pistola. La replica della questura: "E' arrivato a forte velocità contromano"

di FEDERICA ANGELI

They claim Sam was driving on the wrong sense at "full speed" and that they stopped him - apparently scared for the threat of a car driving at full speed in the wrong direction - to ask for his documents first, and then Morrissey's.
The article continues:Morrissey was asked four times for a document, but instead of telling them he left the wallet in the hotel he told them he did not do anything and did not had to deliver his document.
Than Sam proceeded to take a photo of they guy (who in the meantime googled Morrissey and realised who he was) and told him "you're going to be famous".
Apparently, both the policeman (whose photo was published) and the italian police want to sue Morrissey, the articles concludes.
The officer claim he never pointed the gun.

Just translating, guys.

----------------

Adding the police statement (from a newspaper) I just found

«The car was proceding from Via della Frezza on the wrong direction, tuesday late afternoon, and came into a very crowded (because of the sale week shopping) via del corso. The agents on the "nibbio" motorbikes, who are regularly patrolling the historical center because of counterterrorism measures, did not hesitate to stop the car and ask the people on board for their id». According to the Questura after the first check «the policeman issued the ticket to the driver, who admitted his responsibility - according to the violations commited. But the other person - in other words the singer (exactly like this in the police memo - hilarious :)) - has been hostile since the beginning: an english citizen, he insisted saying he could not be forced to produce his ID or state his identity because he commited no felony, and was very surprised he wasn't recognised by the policemen. After some persistence the agents, who spoke english, allowed the person to call the hotel twice, thus learning the man's identity in order to run further checks even in the absence of an ID. During the checks the artist, bothered, shoot some pictures to the policeman threatening “you will become famous”».

(I don't know if the "artist" at the end is supposed to be morrissey or sam)

Sorry for the translation, but police statements are written in a strange funny language

Update:
SER has just written in his facebook page (comment in the same photo post) it was not him driving the car and he was not in italy at the moment. What the hell?

This is getting more and more ridicolous.

Sam Esty Rayner Photography:

"The Italian newspapers state, on behalf of Roma Polizia, that the driver of the car was Sam Esty Rayner.

Sam was not the driver; was not in the car; was not in Italy on the date of the incident.
"

Scan of print edition from Betta:

40318_morrissey_repbblica_scan.jpg

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
REALLY? :lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf:

Morrissey was extorted to show "papers" and detained during 35 minutes because of his nephew's traffic offence? Is that a valid justification emanated from an official institution? NO. This is not serious dear people. Please respect HUMAN RIGHTS and MAKE JUSTICE.
You don't travel much, do you?
There is no international convention on the practice of "carding". When in Rome, Italian rules and customs apply - as with ALL foreign countries. Moz is a petulant little prick - who thinks he's above the law. Hardly surprising. Even less surprising is the ignorant response from ball-washing fans like yourself. If this side of the story is even remotely accurate, Morrissey deserved a good f***ing smack for his lack of respect for local authority. Try that shit in a Central American city, son. His shitty trackies would have washed up on a beach.

"He went swimming".

Unless the newspaper articles are all wrong, the situation was amplified because the speeding/wrong way driving offences happened to take place at a terrorism checkpoint. There have been many instances (recently, as always) of lunatics driving cars into heavily populated tourist/shopping areas, and the area in question in Rome is both. All told, Sam and M. got off easily.

I'd like to say I love Italy, Rome, its culture, my roots are 100% italian and much more things I will not discuss here. Morrissey being in Rome is wonderful. Rome is not a single policeman, like USA is not Trump.

Having established the above, I think it is becoming more and more embarrassing the way an important government institution such as Roman Police is dealing with this terrible situation where the human rights of a person had been violated. Do they think people will believe the policeman thought Morrissey and his nephew were potential terrorists for commiting a traffic violation?? This is a terrible bad explanation of facts constructed after the facts took place by extremely bad legal advisers, which can not be sustained in a reasonable judgement.

Why did the policeman ask documentation to Morrissey if he was not driving? He said he knew him. Did he refer he knew his songs and the lyrics? Was that the reason to retain him during more than half an hour with a gun? Can you imagine what kind of damage this situation can cause to a person who suffers depression - as Morrissey repeatedly said he does-?? It's very serious. Authorities should not wait or expect the victim makes a denounce to investigate this case, because a single deed to a known person implies that there may be multiple ones. ❤

Last edited:
Police manners everywhere are usually arrogant and I do agree on why do you have to identify yourself over no obvious fault?

However things in Europe are not exactly smooth and terrorism level is high everyday . With the recent events of cars running crowds of people here and there I believe there would be a fair reason to ask for your papers , the problem was probably the way that police guy approached him ...

The police are lying. Morrissey has probably walked that street, about a thousand times. It is near his hotel! I think he would know the traffic direction.

I reckon lil' Sammy drives like he rides his skateboard. I reckon I think it's cute Uncle Steve is teaching his nephew how to drive. I reckon if I see John Lydon boogie boarding on the beach this week I am going to ask him to apologize to Steve and ask him not to wear his "make America great again" Trump cap around Malibu so Uncle Steve, Aunt Nancy, and lil'Sammy can come home before something bad happens to the American royal family.

1) Italian law states you always have to carry an ID with you, if not, you can be brought to a police station for further investigations. 2) If you drive against in a city central street, speeding, next to an anti terrorist checkpoint you have very good chances to be shot down dead even before they ask you for the ID. Not just in Italy but in the whole world these days 3) Taking a picture of a police guy and making it public on the Internet is a crime in Italy

1) Italian law states you always have to carry an ID with you, if not, you can be brought to a police station for further investigations. 2) If you drive against in a city central street, speeding, next to an anti terrorist checkpoint you have very good chances to be shot down dead even before they ask you for the ID. Not just in Italy but in the whole world these days 3) Taking a picture of a police guy and making it public on the Internet is a crime in Italy

Considering Tourism in Italy --->>
Not to have papers is not crime after your identity is determined ("...or other personal qualities..."); Morrissey's identity was determined by physical witness (Sam) and then by the police officer himself (via google). End of story. Morrissey didn't do any felony.
Nice try Anon IP Hash: 95e56434b3

Last edited:
Almost a candle in the wind situation here. Luckily, Sam's driving skills are just a little better than his photoshopping skills. Barely....

And you have probably only met nice educated and polite police ...

I don't think the level of education of this particular copper is really relevant.

For all I know, though, the guy might have been incredibly rude to Morrissey. Or he might not. But we can be sure that it's a detail that isn't required in order for the story to work. Anyone who has observed Morrissey over recent years knows that he needs no provocation in order to be a dick.

Last edited:
THIS. 100%. He's lucky he didn't get a proper shit-kicking. ...something he desperately needs.

This knowledge should be enough for even the most daft of Moz-apologists to simmer down and see this situation for what it is.

There are very few places in the world that someone with such a shitty attitude can pull this kind of nonsense. Steve's days are numbered if he continues on this path. ...and that's ok with me because I'd like to remember him for the gifts he gave us 20-30 years ago, rather than watch him spiral like a half-wit, arrogant douche-bag.

We ALL deal with personal issues but we also bear responsibility for our actions and deeds - good or I'll. He needs to get help or go away. ...and if he keeps this up, you can sing him to sleep. For good.

I don't think the level of education of this particular copper is really relevant.

For all I know, though, the gut might have been incredibly rude to Morrissey. Or he might not. But we can be sure that it's a detail that isn't required in order for the story to work. Anyone who has observed Morrissey over recent years knows that he needs no provocation in order to be a dick.

Yeah, he did look a little paunchy.

For all I know, though, the gut might have been incredibly rude to Morrissey. Or he might not. But we can be sure that it's a detail that isn't required in order for the story to work. Anyone who has observed Morrissey over recent years knows that he needs no provocation in order to be a dick.

Right unless someone can produce a video with audio of the entire scene, we don't really know. We know Morrissey can certainly exaggerate things. For all we know, initially the policemen was not interested in Morrissey as a passenger, and it was through his own actions that he escalated things.

I get you , but I can , anyone can be a dick over police unnecessary rudeness , in fact I have and because of asking why I had to show ID , I was handcuffed, so if Moz is a dick or not I totally understand, I guess you have to go through shit like this to see both sides of the story IF any of these stories are real...

The police are lying. Morrissey has probably walked that street, about a thousand times. It is near his hotel! I think he would know the traffic direction.

I blame Steve Barnett ! 4ck Harvest ! 4ck William as well ! Oh and 4ck Kate too ! Come to think of it 4ck David Cameron and 4ck Theresa ! And 4ck Edd Sheeran he can kiss my arse ! 4ck David T and Uncle Skinny !
Oh for 4cks sake 4ck Mike Joyce ! In fact while we're at it 4ck the 4ckin Smiths ! And Alain can get 4ckd as well posting guitar snippets upstaging Jesse and Martin ! 4ck Tony Wilson and Bowie laughing at me from above ! The Royals? 4ck em ! 4ck Rammsey, 4ck the Beckham's, 4ck Jamie 4kin Oliver, 4ck McCartney, 4ck Joe Moss, 4ck Brummie and His so called secretary Sharon 4kin McCormick, 4ck the farmer, talking of farmers 4ck Glastonbury and 4ck you Eavis ! The NME 4ck off as well ! Judge John Weeks you can 4ck off big time you 4cking old 4ck face 4ck ! Visconti and Kristeen 4ck you, you pair of 4ck face Mother 4ckrs ! 4ck true2you and 4ck solo, 4ck Rome and Barone Raffaele! ! !

4ck the 4ckkkkkkkkkkkin lot of the no good for nothing 4ckrs !

Laugh out loud :laughing::rofl::tiphat:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

I guess Morrissey will get out of Dodge. If the album gets completed somewhere else, maybe there'll be a bonus track about a traffic cop who is the epitome of evil.
Hopefully better than that dire 'spoken word' calamity that was 'Sorrow will come in the end'. So glad I didn't buy a second version of Maladjusted in the 90's just to hear that crap. Although I did buy the Maladjusted 2009 re-issue, but it had 'I can have both' and 'This is not your country' so I'm not complaining about that willful self-robbery.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom