Morrissey and Sam Rayner on the Bonfire songs we've yet to hear...

Mike Rourke

I've just been looking at last year's interview.
It appears a lot of the supposed highlights are songs we've yet to hear. Most of these quotes are Sam's.
- 'Ha Ha Harlem' is the song easiest to imagine live. It has a lot of lyrics and a lot of musical changes. You also use very high falsetto. I think some people were wondering if you could even sing that way any more. Musically, it is phenomenal,
- M 'I felt scorched by 'Ha Ha Harlem' … we all just looked at each other in astonishment saying 'where the hell did THAT come from?'. 'Ha ha Harlem / where they want to keep you OUT OF YOUR MIND!" … the bass is a ferocious rasp … distorted at times …'
- - 'My Funeral' is beautiful and quite folksy in a 'Half A Person' way … and again … you mention Dwight Frye and Bruce Lee and it's humorously sad. I think this type of song is what you are best at.
- - I Ex-Love You' does unmistakably have a certain Smiths sound.
- The best two tracks are the final two in my opinion, 'Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings' and 'Saint In A Stained Glass Window'. They are so physical that it almost becomes exhausting, and the choirs are … are they real people?
_ _ _ _

A bit worrying that Telephone is described as one of the best two. Not sure if the quote means there's a choir on that one as well as 'Saint'. Wonder what kind of choir. Children's? Interesting that I Ex Love You is described as having a Smiths sound. Would have assumed that Rebels was the most Smithsy.
My Funeral sounds really promising, too.

It appears a lot of the supposed highlights are songs we've yet to hear. Most of these quotes are Sam's.
- 'Ha Ha Harlem' is the song easiest to imagine live. It has a lot of lyrics and a lot of musical changes. You also use very high falsetto. I think some people were wondering if you could even sing that way any more. Musically, it is phenomenal,
- M 'I felt scorched by 'Ha Ha Harlem' … we all just looked at each other in astonishment saying 'where the hell did THAT come from?'. 'Ha ha Harlem / where they want to keep you OUT OF YOUR MIND!" … the bass is a ferocious rasp … distorted at times …'
- - 'My Funeral' is beautiful and quite folksy in a 'Half A Person' way … and again … you mention Dwight Frye and Bruce Lee and it's humorously sad. I think this type of song is what you are best at.
- The best two tracks are the final two in my opinion, 'Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings' and 'Saint In A Stained Glass Window'. They are so physical that it almost becomes exhausting, and the choirs are … are they real people?
_ _ _ _

A bit worrying that Telephone is described as one of the best two. Not sure if the quote means there's a choir on that one as well as 'Saint'. Wonder what kind of choir. Children's? Interesting that I Ex Love You is described as having a Smiths sound. Would have assumed that Rebels was the most Smithsy.

I think, as enthusiastic as Sam and even M are
at selling these songs, it may be best to wait and actually hear the studio versions to make one’s own judgment.

but will we even hear this record by the UK dates? Maybe a winter release :( hope I’m wrong.

_ _ _ _

Yes, thank you for putting this up. I reread that interview the other day. It did make me look forward to the LP more
I tend to think there is lots to look forward to with the LP
It did make me think though, its amusing that M did that open letter to Johnny, yet has Rebel which is smiths sounding to the point of parody - when we say smiths sounding, we often mean Johnnys parts, its that guitar that sounds like Cemetery Gates (as others have said)

Then we have these songs mentioned that make a point of saying Smiths sounding- one even name drops a song whose blueprint they copied
I think it's fair to say it's the Johnny sound they are referring to.- as Johnny often wrote all parts in the song and often when people say it sounds like Smiths they mean Johnny's guitar
Now they were trying to sell the lp, in that interview. That was the point of it. So its curious M made sure people knew " This one sounds like me and Johnny"
Imagine if Johnny got a singer that was a Morrissey sound alike?
I am not attacking M or anything, Im looking forward to the lp. I am just making an observation

_ _ _ _

Thought one of'em is supposed to have Iggy on it.
Still ain't sure which one though.

I want to hear "I Ex-Love You", the one with the Smiths sound.

I was intrigued when Sam asked if it was deliberately Smiths-like (implying the title sentiment might be a dig in a certain direction?) - and Moz laughed it off with "Yes, I'm that trashy" but then went and wrote the open letter. I wouldn't be surprised if that song is a sort of prologue to the open letter.

I want to hear "I Ex-Love You", the one with the Smiths sound.

I was intrigued when Sam asked if it was deliberately Smiths-like (implying the title sentiment might be a dig in a certain direction?) - and Moz laughed it off with "Yes, I'm that trashy" but then went and wrote the open letter. I wouldn't be surprised if that song is a sort of prologue to the open letter.
I "get you" if this would have been the only Smiths-like one. I would think "oh, yes that's about Johnny', The trouble is so many of them seem to be on that LP
So I'm not sure, my take which I expect won't be popular to some is every M solo lp has one to a few Smiths-sounding songs.
The curious thing about this is, that he outright states it in that interview in my mind he's using it as a selling point- " You are gonna love this, its like Smiths" , type thing.

Its funny that Alain etc are ok , with aping Johnny. It's like getting a partner and making them get the same kinda hair cut and clothing as your last GF /BF or whatever friend

Its funny that Alain etc are ok , with aping Johnny. It's like getting a partner and making them get the same kinda hair cut and clothing as your last GF /BF or whatever friend
Since the beginning of the solo era, the Moz musicians have been competing with each other to get their songs on the albums, chosen as the singles, etc. What easier way to 'succeed' than to follow a blueprint you know Moz already likes?

Sorry if that sounds a bit "business-y" but it is business, nobody wants to be the guy with no co-writes on the album. It's only really in the past 10 years or so that Moz became more adventurous in terms of music styles, so sometimes I think they were taking the path of least resistance.

- - 'My Funeral' is beautiful and quite folksy in a 'Half A Person' way … and again … you mention Dwight Frye and Bruce Lee and it's humorously sad.
I doubt Bruce Lee will be at Morrissi's funeral.
I think it's just going to be Damon doing somersaults in a Bruce Lee t.shirt.

And I really really want to ask, what does Sammy Melvis Junior know about "humourously sad"? :laughing:
...But I ain't gonna.

They do a half-decent clown duet tho, I'll give them that. (If you like sad, washed up and rather depressing clowns, I mean.)

Last edited:
^Now now don't be sad Gregor, I'm sure Morrissi would want us to be happy...

Not that there are too many songs out there in this category, but when it comes to songs about one’s own funeral, Lay Me Low by Nick Cave is a very good one indeed. If anyone can do better, it could only be Morrissey.

Not that there are too many songs out there in this category, but when it comes to songs about one’s own funeral, Lay Me Low by Nick Cave is a very good one indeed. If anyone can do better, it could only be Morrissey.
Fantastic song, that.

Back
Top Bottom