Morrissey and royalties

butley

This will definately have been debated before,I'm sorry, but what is the general consensus as to why Morrissey receives no royalties for a large part of his back catalogue?

Do you think he sold the rights for a payment or that Mike Joyce still has first dibs on the dosh?

This will definately have been debated before,I'm sorry, but what is the general consensus as to why Morrissey receives no royalties for a large part of his back catalogue?

Do you think he sold the rights for a payment or that Mike Joyce still has first dibs on the dosh?

Well, I guess no Smiths' member recieve payment for royalties If Moz does not recieve - I say it about these "new releaes" and the singles boxed. The Joyce's trial against Moz has no relations with with the dosh of these singles that will be relesead soon. Then...
However, I cannot understand why they don't recieve anything for albums of them. I thinks it'd happend if Smiths' and Moz solo right had been sold.

Joyce's statement in 2008:
"Just for the record, I've never, EVER received all Smiths royalties from record sales in the U.K. or worldwide for that matter. Maybe some of the people who visit this site could ask Morrissey through their contacts just WHO receives ALL Smiths royalties now...Mmm?"

Ok...I don't know about him, but Andy was envolved in the Sound of the SMiths. then he is recieving for this album. All 4 Smiths complain to saying "I don't recieve my roualties..." and blah blash.. but Who recieves for them? Someone is stealing them, so.

Of course, that's because they're the authors.

Do you really think they're not the owners of the SMiths' rights?

thank goodness all of these minds and angles and sides did not enter until the music was made and recorded and here for us all to enjoy and wonder at.

I don't think it's the fighting minds that we all admire, grow through and revere...

and we are the lucky ones -

The flowers shower on us when we just hit play.

I feel for all the artists involved in the crucible of creation.

Of course, that's because they're the authors.

Do you really think they're not the owners of the SMiths' rights?

Andy sold it, and the rest get 25%, After the courtcase, but if a band signs
by a Label,the Smiths signed for EMI in their last year but never had a
proper album only reissues, and best off.
Morrissey took the EMI deal over as a solo artist, so I guuss labels can
put out singles, albums made by artists unser their label till the end of musichistory

IMHO:confused:

Andy sold it, and the rest get 25%, After the courtcase, but if a band signs
by a Label,the Smiths signed for EMI in their last year but never had a
proper album only reissues, and best off.
Morrissey took the EMI deal over as a solo artist, so I guuss labels can
put out singles, albums made by artists unser their label till the end of musichistory

IMHO:confused:

Where did you get this information from?
I have never read that Smiths had sold their right. But It may be true, because they have no gains with the new reissues.

Morrissey& Marr will always be credited, but I believe the royalties are sold.

but I can be wrong, happens a lot:crazy:

Credits are for publishing rights. You get paid for publishing when your songs are played on the radio or in some other public capacity.

There is a contract somewhere that says who gets royalties from record sales. I have no idea whose name is on that contract.

WEA did buy the rights to the Smiths entire catalog but that might just be for distribution rights. Since they bought the rights to distribute they are obviously at a minimum a partial recipient of royalties from sales.

The judgement against Morrissey and Marr was for a flat amount. I believe he has been paid which would mean royalties would not be garnished in order to settle the court debt.

The only reason I can speculate on the royalties issue is that Morrissey sold his portion of the royalties to WEA.

I'd sure be interested in hearing an informed answer on the matter.

It's an interesting question to be done. But I don't think Morrissey would answer our poor questiom about his rights on SMiths' catalog
I have never seen Moz talking about it.

Last edited:
It's an interesting question to be done. But I don't think Morrissey was gonna concern about that, therefore I guess it's impossible he have a good answer from this frontman.

:confused:

Have you read bored's post?

If you don't understand what he wrote, ask Flax to translate it in Portuguese.

:confused:

Have you read bored's post?

If you don't understand what he wrote, ask Flax to translate it in Portuguese.

I edited my post.
Sometimes I make English mistakes but I assume that. I don't need to correct everyone here or look for everyone's mistakes.

I'm not sorry for nothing...

Back
Top Bottom