Morrissey and Rogan - The Severed Alliance

Has anybody ever read Rogan's "Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance"? I understand the level of animosity between Rogan and Morrissey over this book amongst other issues, and wonder whether it is actually worth a read, or just a long-winded book full of useless fabrication.

cheers!

I don't really know what problem Morrissey had with the book. Everything in it is either fact or just someone's opinion. I don't think Rogan explicitly states anything about Morrissey which is false.

I think it is a very comprehensive read of The Smiths time as a band, very comprehensive.
The only downside for me was it went on and on about Irish politics at the beginning - not that I am not interested in that issue, just felt it went on for far too long and more than was neccessary in this book, relating it to Morrissey's Grandfather who was living in Dublin at the time.

I think it is a very comprehensive read of The Smiths time as a band, very comprehensive.
The only downside for me was it went on and on about Irish politics at the beginning - not that I am not interested in that issue, just felt it went on for far too long and more than was neccessary in this book, relating it to Morrissey's Grandfather who was living in Dublin at the time.

I agree about the downside Raymond mentioned...some bits were too much. I also remember when I was reading it that I kept wondering how would Rogan know certain things (unless he read a diary of Morrissey's, which I'm not sure was ever established)?

Either way, I actually liked the book, but I didn't buy it. I borrowed it from my local public library. (They supposedly also had a copy of Morrissey Shot--I asked the librarian to help me find it and we discovered it had been stolen!! Damn Moz fans! :()

It's a rather heavy tome, but in my opinion a must read for any Smiths/Moz fan. I felt a bit guilty buying though, as if I should stay loyal to Morrissey. Daft I know, but that's how I felt.

When I glance at this thread title I keep thinking, "He's not losing his hair that fast. Geez, layoff the guy."

Yes, I would echo that. I discovered Morrissey in '93, long after The Smiths, so I don't have the same interest in The Smiths and attachment to Johnny that many on the forum do. That being said, the book seemed tough to get into for the reasons you stated. I think I'd much rather check out Rogan's other book on Morrissey's solo career.

When I glance at this thread title I keep thinking, "He's not losing his hair that fast. Geez, layoff the guy."

See, I was wondering why and when Morrissey starting referring to his genitalia as "Rogan?" Granted, every man has a name for his package, but pick something better, like "Dillinger" or "Mini-Morrissey.":)

I must agree that while informative, the "Severed Alliance" was a tough to get into, but was worth the read as I moved further through the pages. I do not foresee myself reading the book again. As for Rogan's "Morrissey: The Albums", I read excerpts almost daily. I enjoy reading the sections on the tracks as I listen to an album. The sections qouting Moz, studio musicians, ex-band members, engineers, and producers I find especially informative.

"Severed Alliance" is a MUST-HAVE for any true fan. A delightful read. If you have this and "Songs that Saved Your Life" you're basically all set. I enjoyed it immensely, I've read it twice so far. However, I would urge everyone who hasn't already got it to read Rogan's Morrissey: The Albums before they buy it, I was expecting a worthy sequal to "alliance" but for his solo career and was seriously disappointed. He spends the first third of the book senselessly reiterating information about the smiths he covered far more eloquently in the first book. I wanted to hear testimonials, anecdotes, a real behind-the-scenes look at fantastic albums like viva hate, vauxhall, and arsenal, kinda like his first book, but found the tome lacking. You're better off with "Scandal and Passion" even if david bret spends a third of the book fawning over the french.

"Severed Alliance" is a MUST-HAVE for any true fan. A delightful read. If you have this and "Songs that Saved Your Life" you're basically all set. I enjoyed it immensely, I've read it twice so far. However, I would urge everyone who hasn't already got it to read Rogan's Morrissey: The Albums before they buy it, I was expecting a worthy sequal to "alliance" but for his solo career and was seriously disappointed. He spends the first third of the book senselessly reiterating information about the smiths he covered far more eloquently in the first book. I wanted to hear testimonials, anecdotes, a real behind-the-scenes look at fantastic albums like viva hate, vauxhall, and arsenal, kinda like his first book, but found the tome lacking. You're better off with "Scandal and Passion" even if david bret spends a third of the book fawning over the french.

uh, you just wrote my post for me. I agree 200%.

I don't really know what problem Morrissey had with the book. Everything in it is either fact or just someone's opinion. I don't think Rogan explicitly states anything about Morrissey which is false.

he was digging in his family, and asking people who knew Morrissey
when young, I find that, and I guess Morrissey too, not done, cause
you get a 1 way sighted vieuw...and the family business is not done if
you have at least some dignity and manners.

it's the same with Joyce, you won't want to get Morrissey family's estate,
because his mum and sister do not have anything to do with it, legally,
gladly Joyce's brain began to work again fast, and stopped this stupid
action

How would you know that? Only Morrissey would know if some things were false in it wouldn't he? It's his life, after all.

In a pub near to the venue before a Morrissey concert, during the boxers tour (I think. Sheffield, I think) I was talking to a guy. He told me he was Rogan, which I doubted. So, I went outside to my car and got the book. Compared his face to that in the book. He then signed it and wrote something that I never understood until I read the book. The book is somewhere in my attic or I would look it out to explain better. It is a reference to a chapter and a word I don't remember properly.

Back
Top Bottom