Morrissey and Miley Cyrus's collaboration

But it is pathetic. She's a pop tart. She came out of the Disney pop tart manufacturing plant. She's absolutely not in the same class as Chrissie Hynde, Patti Smith, Sinéad O'Connor, or Debbie Harry. What do Morrissey and Miley Cyrus talk about when they're "kickin' it" at her house on random afternoons? I'd really like to know. Does she offer him some reefer? Does she understand even a small percentage of his cultural references?
Maybe she's just a fun person to hang out with.

Maybe she's just a fun person to hang out with.

Maybe. In fact, I just remembered that he does like to "shoot hoops," or he at once least posed for a few pictures that made it seem as if he did. Maybe they play basketball together. She looks lithe, but she might have some kind of hidden physical disability such that she is on roughly the same athletic level as a sexagenarian. Or maybe they just play "HORSE," and wager like rich musicians casually wager on things, and trash-talk a bit. "I'm taking you to the cleaners, Miley Virus," says the man who once wrote Well I Wonder, menacingly dribbling a basketball, left-hand, right-hand.

But it is pathetic. She's a pop tart. She came out of the Disney pop tart manufacturing plant. She's absolutely not in the same class as Chrissie Hynde, Patti Smith, Sinéad O'Connor, or Debbie Harry. What do Morrissey and Miley Cyrus talk about when they're "kickin' it" at her house on random afternoons? I'd really like to know. Does she offer him some reefer? Does she understand even a small percentage of his cultural references?

She's more like Sandie Shaw? Maybe Miley can teach Moz about current pop culture.

She's more like Sandie Shaw? Maybe Miley can teach Moz about current pop culture.

Does Morrissey really need to know about current pop culture? Judging by her music, it's not as if Miley Cyrus is attuned to the cutting edge. "What it's all about these days, Mozzerino, is gettin' back to that synth-and-dance 80s sound." Perhaps she's to blame for some of the dance-bop stylings on I Am Not a Dog on a Chain.

With Sandie Shaw, he had genuinely liked her music from a young age. Does the older Morrissey genuinely like Wrecking Ball and Midnight Sky?

I don't see the big deal. Morrissey is my favourite singer by far (huge fan), but I like Miley Cyrus too.

Do you like her as a guilty pleasure, or do you take her seriously as an artist?

I don't necessarily mind the resurrection of the 80s sound when it's done well. A Spotify algorithm recently gave me a song called Seventeen by Sharon Van Etten. It's good. Her voice sounds much better to my ears than Miley Cyrus's; it's rougher and gloomier. So far I can take her seriously because I haven't heard her sing an idiot confection like Party in the U.S.A., or seen her in a video for Wrecking Ball swinging unsubtly on a wrecking ball, in a state of undress. Miley Cyrus seems so goofy.

I don't necessarily mind the resurrection of the 80s sound when it's done well. A Spotify algorithm recently gave me a song called Seventeen by Sharon Van Etten. It's good. Her voice sounds much better to my ears than Miley Cyrus's; it's rougher and gloomier.

So far I can take her seriously because I haven't heard her sing an idiot confection like Party in the U.S.A., or seen her in a video for Wrecking Ball swinging unsubtly on a wrecking ball, in a state of undress. Miley Cyrus seems so goofy.

Yes different, but let’s not forget that the New York Dolls also liked to have fun, and that didn’t stop Morrissey from liking them.

Even with his public off hand jibes, I feel there really isn’t too many people that Morrissey actually hates, or would spend energy hating, even if to some it could come across that way, in regards to modern pop stars.

I don't think there is anything wrong with dance-pop with silly lyrics, though most of Miley's music is actually serious.

Yes different, but let’s not forget that the New York Dolls also liked to have fun, and that didn’t stop Morrissey from liking them.

Isn't this overly reductionist, though? Van Halen and the Red Hot Chili Peppers "liked to have fun," too, but did Morrissey like them? Maybe he did. As someone remarked on a different thread about the personnel on Bonfire of Teenagers, it looks nearly as if he made a record with the Red Hot Chili Peppers as his backing band. But I've always gotten the impression that he really does dislike vapidity in music (unless it's the 60s pop he imbibed as a child). He thought the New York Dolls were brilliant because they were so original; the Ramones were witty, Patti Smith was confrontational, &c.

Sky is the limit ! :laughing:

Isn't this overly reductionist, though? Van Halen and the Red Hot Chili Peppers "liked to have fun," too, but did Morrissey like them? Maybe he did.
No, he had reasons for liking the Dolls and not others for obvious reasons.
As someone remarked on a different thread about the personnel on Bonfire of Teenagers, it looks nearly as if he made a record with the Red Hot Chili Peppers as his backing band. But I've always gotten the impression that he really does dislike vapidity in music (unless it's the 60s pop he imbibed as a child). He thought the New York Dolls were brilliant because they were so original; the Ramones were witty, Patti Smith was confrontational, &c.

Yes but he also really couldn’t relate to the Dolls in their debauchery.. girls drugs partying taken to the extreme.

And yet, he still liked them. I’m just saying that Morrissey doesn’t have to be like the other to actually be kind to the other. I’m sure he recognizes the differences and still it doesn’t stop him from being friendly, which may surprise some here.

Yes but he also really couldn’t relate to the Dolls in their debauchery.. girls drugs partying taken to the extreme.

And yet, he still liked them. I’m just saying that Morrissey doesn’t have to be like the other to actually be kind to the other. I’m sure he recognizes the differences and still it doesn’t stop him from being friendly, which may surprise some here.

Okay, but I don't think Miley Cyrus has anything to offer other than funtime nonsense. Here are the writing credits for the songs on an album called Bangerz. An album title with the urban z, and songs written by committee. Whereas the Dolls, as you rightly point out, came out of the gutter, did things on their own, and offered far more than just fun.

It's very possible that despite their apparent differences and the vapidity of her output, Morrissey and Miley Cyrus genuinely enjoy each other's company and are friends. I'll file it under curveball.

Okay, but I don't think Miley Cyrus has anything to offer other than funtime nonsense. Here are the writing credits for the songs on an album called Bangerz. An album title with the urban z, and songs written by committee. Whereas the Dolls, as you rightly point out, came out of the gutter, did things on their own, and offered far more than just fun.

It's very possible that despite their apparent differences and the vapidity of her output, Morrissey and Miley Cyrus genuinely enjoy each other's company and are friends. I'll file it under curveball.
bangerz isn't like her other work. If you take the example "younger now" is much more serious album.

bangerz isn't like her other work. If you take the example "younger now" is much more serious album.
I hope the title of this album doesn't relate to Dylan's My Back Pages :pray:

I'm not a fan of Cyrus. Don't know much of her stuff but I don't like her singing voice.
However, I think she is at least 'a bit indie'!
She's covered a pretty obscure song by the Cardigans - to have even heard of it suggests she can't be that bland/generic.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJQVyvaQf-4
And here's how it should be done:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTpaZf9xqGg

Last edited:
Okay, but I don't think Miley Cyrus has anything to offer other than funtime nonsense.
I think even Morrissey recognizes the importance of balance in the way one passes time.
Here are the writing credits for the songs on an album called Bangerz. An album title with the urban z, and songs written by committee. Whereas the Dolls, as you rightly point out, came out of the gutter, did things on their own, and offered far more than just fun.
Of course. I already stated that they were different and so was not comparing them in that way.

like Morrissey, one should enjoy life’s curveballs.

:tiphat:

I'm not a fan of Cyrus. Don't know much of her stuff but I don't like her singing voice.
However, I think she is at least 'a bit indie'!
She's covered a pretty obscure song by the Cardigans - to have even heard of it suggests she can't be that bland/generic.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJQVyvaQf-4
And here's how it should be done:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTpaZf9xqGg
I adore Nina Persson. Beautiful, even in a dark hair. I remember her hoarse voice in Glastonbury when she sang with Manics. It was so cute :hearteyes:

Back
Top Bottom