Morrissey and Miley Cyrus's collaboration

Mike Rourke

Surely a subject that deserves its own thread?
It seems Miley C has provided backing vocals on "I am Veronica" as you can apparently hear her recorded voice at the recent live shows (although I wouldn't have spotted it). Perhaps not a massive surprise as they've been photographed hanging out together in the last year or two.
And I think she's also covered a Smiths song or two.
I'm sure the whole thing is genuine but it won't have harmed his profile in looking for a new record deal.
Edit - here she is covering There is a Light:

Last edited:
im still not covinced its her voice on I am V,didnt even sound like her.she has been covering this for years now.

I am not convinced it's her either, but I am probably just in denial.

He also famously canceled his Paris show from 2020 due to "Miley Cyrus", as he joked in Cologne:

And in 2021 Morrissey Central posted a pic of Miley in a Smiths tee:
IMG_9545_ph5efm.jpg

Correct me if I misunderstand. Morrissey mocks Miley Cyrus' music ( from 20th second)
More than that, compares her to coronavirus :unsure:

Last edited:
Miley’s duet with Billy Idol from her Plastic Hearts album is nothing short of fantastic. She can hold her own in a rocknroll setting.

Dear god, that cover is terrible. Americans don't understand subtlety or emotion, and thus can't cover Smiths song. Toss her to the crocs. As Bill Hicks once said of Cyrus's useless caterwauling dad Billy Ray: "I'm just trying to rid the world of all these fevered egos that are tainting our collective unconscious and making us pay a higher psychic price than we imagine."

No, Hicks did not understand subtlety or emotion either. Southern preacher-type boy.

What do you mean by not understanding emotion? Of course Hicks and artists understand emotions. And do you seriously think this is a trait only shared by all those born in America?

What a weird generalization, I must say.

What do you mean by not understanding emotion? Of course Hicks and artists understand emotions. And do you seriously think this is a trait only shared by all those born in America?

What a weird generalization, I must say.
'Of course Hicks and artists understand emotions.' Never lived in America, have you? Laughing here. Incredibly emotionally inarticulate country.

You never lived there, so your judgments are based on what? And regardless of one’s nationality, you still think artist’s don’t understand emotions? Very weird.

You must be trolling.
Lived in America for over a decade, unfortunately. I repeat: it's an emotionally inarticulate country. Am I trolling? Who knows? Or cares.

Miley’s duet with Billy Idol from her Plastic Hearts album is nothing short of fantastic. She can hold her own in a rocknroll setting.

I just listened to this song (Night Crawling). There's no accounting for taste, but "nothing short of fantastic" seems an extreme descriptor. Do we really want Morrissey to be on the same level as Billy Idol? He (Billy Idol) certainly had his place in the 80s, but it is a dated and retrograde place, while the Smiths (in their timelessness) transcended the 80s. It does seem pathetic if Morrissey is dueting (or friends) with Miley Cyrus. I hope he isn't. Can't he find someone more dignified and age-appropriate, like Debbie Harry?

I just listened to this song (Night Crawling). There's no accounting for taste, but "nothing short of fantastic" seems an extreme descriptor. Do we really want Morrissey to be on the same level as Billy Idol? He (Billy Idol) certainly had his place in the 80s, but it is a dated and retrograde place, while the Smiths (in their timelessness) transcended the 80s. It does seem pathetic if Morrissey is dueting (or friends) with Miley Cyrus. I hope he isn't. Can't he find someone more dignified and age-appropriate, like Debbie Harry?
You've hit the nail on the head , but I'm sure you'll find out soon that it's not a duet or a friendship ;)

I think it really is fantastic, for its kind. It’s an eighties retro rocknroll song, in the style of classic Billy Idol, performed by the man himself and a young protégé/disciple. Nothing more, nothing less. And I wouldn’t say Billy Idol is currently in a retrograde place. He tours the world, sells out arenas, performs on major talk shows, thus being relevant to a lot of people, and if you listen to his latest hit record Bitter Taste you’ll find that it’s far from eighties-sounding.
And how immature and judgmental to say that it’s pathetic for Morrissey to be friends with Miley. Grow up and grow out of your indie bubble.

And how immature and judgmental to say that it’s pathetic for Morrissey to be friends with Miley. Grow up and grow out of your indie bubble.

But it is pathetic. She's a pop tart. She came out of the Disney pop tart manufacturing plant. She's absolutely not in the same class as Chrissie Hynde, Patti Smith, Sinéad O'Connor, or Debbie Harry. What do Morrissey and Miley Cyrus talk about when they're "kickin' it" at her house on random afternoons? I'd really like to know. Does she offer him some reefer? Does she understand even a small percentage of his cultural references?

Back
Top Bottom