Morrissey and his Mum

Re: Morrissey's family

yes, He always called him Stephen which is really rude when someone requests a different name. It's all about control, it's saying I knew you when people called you odd and weird and to me you're still that boy and you always will be. you can't leave your past cos I won't let you.
Alan Bennett, Nancy Sinatra,(who are great) plus Johnny respect his wish to forget that feeling he had pre Smiths.

But Alan, Nancy and Marr (to an extent) didn't know Morrissey pre Smiths....... Wilson had received stuff from him in the post signed 'Steven' and knew about Morrissey when he was 'just' Steven.

Jukebox Jury

But Alan, Nancy and Marr (to an extent) didn't know Morrissey pre Smiths....... Wilson had received stuff from him in the post signed 'Steven' and knew about Morrissey when he was 'just' Steven.

Jukebox Jury

oops I wrote his name wrong so sorry you can tell I've had a few beers. I will edit that but still stand by my opinion of Tony. did you see the video of him saying horrinle things about Morrissey. I think that happened because Morrissey said he didn't like Joy Division

why do you say that?

Just to clarify I said that about his father, not his mother. And I said it because, well, I guess as with all things I just have a hunch.

(Dammit is that why I have a hunchback? :mad:)

oops I wrote his name wrong so sorry you can tell I've had a few beers. I will edit that but still stand by my opinion of Tony. did you see the video of him saying horrinle things about Morrissey. I think that happened because Morrissey said he didn't like Joy Division

No, It's because The Smiths didn't sign to Factory:lbf:

Jukebox Jury

i'm intrigued. tell me more. what informs this hunch(back)?

Well, a couple of things. Unfortunately my hunch is based on a story I read somewhere that could only be confirmed by him and I've never spoke to him, but it was something along the lines of Morrissey being embarrassed that his father came to a show and made a bit of a scene maybe? This was in turn uncomfortable for him if I recall? Morrissey strikes me as being not one who would knowingly put someone else in the situation of being uncomfortable or causing heads to turn. Also considering he does seem close to his mother and she seems like an intelligent lady, I imagine he shares her opinion of her ex-husband's behavior which (reading into cosmic hunchness) might have been shall we say abrasive in the past? If so, perhaps today he may have seen the error in his ways and is different, (I know my father has changed dramatically over the past few years-so it's possible) but my conclusion is that Morrissey resides in a more sensitive place than his dad and is therefor not very similar to him, other than following sports.

Having said all that and recalling the story a bit more, I think the situation was that his father while perhaps intoxicated was showing pride for his son and his accomplishments, what son wouldn't want his father to be proud of him? It's just that he showed it in a boastful way I think which puts Morrissey in the uncomfortable situation of being thankful for a message wrapped up in a not so perfect package. Like "Thanks for being proud of me dad, now could you tone it down a notch?" which takes away from the sentiment that his accomplishments are meaningful to begin with. I'm sure it's a zillion times more complicated than that but I'd still hazard a guess they are very not similar.

Having said all that and recalling the story a bit more, I think the situation was that his father while perhaps intoxicated was showing pride for his son and his accomplishments, what son wouldn't want his father to be proud of him? It's just that he showed it in a boastful way I think which puts Morrissey in the uncomfortable situation of being thankful for a message wrapped up in a not so perfect package. Like "Thanks for being proud of me dad, now could you tone it down a notch?" which takes away from the sentiment that his accomplishments are meaningful to begin with. I'm sure it's a zillion times more complicated than that but I'd still hazard a guess they are very not similar.

I have read the interview you are speaking of, and I think it's despicable. I have never read elsewhere of Morrissey's Dad turning up drunk at gigs and stumbling on stage, so assume it's a lie. Morrissey has mentioned several times of "journalists who lie" (including the song) and we all know they do lie on a daily basis, so why should we take this as anything other than trash? Does anyone have evidence to back this up? If so tell us, otherwise lets assume it's another piece of newspaper fiction.

I have read the interview you are speaking of, and I think it's despicable. I have never read elsewhere of Morrissey's Dad turning up drunk at gigs and stumbling on stage, so assume it's a lie. Morrissey has mentioned several times of "journalists who lie" (including the song) and we all know they do lie on a daily basis, so why should we take this as anything other than trash? Does anyone have evidence to back this up? If so tell us, otherwise lets assume it's another piece of newspaper fiction.

Woah there, easy. I know it might be fiction which is why I hate speculating on Morrissey's private life to begin with and stated so in the first post. But you have to look at other things as well, tidbits he has given us. He was bullied in school. So young Morrissey goes home and says "Mom and dad, I was bullied in school today." Do you think dad defended his son, went to the principal or whoever is in charge in England and asked it to stop? Or do you think he maybe added additional pressure to his son by telling him to bully them back, stand up for yourself, quit whining? I'm guessing considering he carried the pain of being bullied all the way into his adult singing career that he was ON HIS OWN as is so often the case which in itself builds character but is not easy to deal with, especially as a boy. Does this make Peter Morrissey a terrible parent? No, it makes him human and I have no doubt that Morrissey loves his father and carries portions of his ideals into his life, such as his sense of pride for Britishness, which bites Morrissey in the ass when he's labled a racist. My point is that Morrissey's more like his mom. Although, you know when he's on stage and he starts growling into the mic and getting brusk? Maybe that's a bit "dad." I don't know. Who cares. :p

I do want to add that I'm of the opinion when he sings songs like Papa Jack or Mama Lay Softly, he is NOT making reference to his actual parents but leaves them safely out of the "cosmic" dealings of his work. I'm sure it doesn't make it easy for him as they're sitting around the dinner table and his dad asks "What do you mean the father who must be killed?" and Morrissey has to say, "Dad, it's just a song. It's not about you." But then again maybe his parents don't really listen to the lyrics and he doesn't have to encounter this. Reading my own life into this I'll do a cutout or a painting and my mom will glance at it and say "How cute. When do you want to go to the mall?" Anyway. I just thought I'd put that out there.

Woah there, easy. I know it might be fiction which is why I hate speculating on Morrissey's private life to begin with and stated so in the first post. But you have to look at other things as well, tidbits he has given us. He was bullied in school. So young Morrissey goes home and says "Mom and dad, I was bullied in school today." Do you think dad defended his son, went to the principal or whoever is in charge in England and asked it to stop? Or do you think he maybe added additional pressure to his son by telling him to bully them back, stand up for yourself, quit whining? I'm guessing considering he carried the pain of being bullied all the way into his adult singing career that he was ON HIS OWN as is so often the case which in itself builds character but is not easy to deal with, especially as a boy. Does this make Peter Morrissey a terrible parent? No, it makes him human and I have no doubt that Morrissey loves his father and carries portions of his ideals into his life, such as his sense of pride for Britishness, which bites Morrissey in the ass when he's labled a racist. My point is that Morrissey's more like his mom. Although, you know when he's on stage and he starts growling into the mic and getting brusk? Maybe that's a bit "dad." I don't know. Who cares. :p

Fair point, but the reported article about his Dad is obviously a lie, and is completely indefensible. I hope the "journalist" sleeps well in his/her bed. I'm sure they do.

I read Rogan's Severed Alliance after I had first watched The Smiths and Morrissey videos and interviews on YouTube, then read through all the Morrissey interviews I could find on the internet since the early 80s, then read Len Brown's book, well and then said book. I was surprised because it didn't strike me as really bad. Maybe I missed some points because I didn't look any words up in the dictionary that I didn't know. Anyway, the long history of Morrissey's and Johnny Marr's family struck me as quite odd and I wondered why I was reading about their parents in such detail. And where Rogan got his information from. Morrissey's aunts or so must have been very talkative. Then there was a point when he wrote about Morrissey's diary entries and I thought: "Huh? Who on earth read those diary entries? Which is bad enough, but why talk to Rogan about this?" Not that it was bad what was written about this... it was just the fact that somebody read it and gave the information to yet somebody else was what I found weird and me then read about this in a book. Apart from that I thought it all very fascinating. I found everything that Morrissey ever did and said, as it is written about in the book, so incredibly normal and straightforward, because that's just the way it is if it is like this. Difficult for me to imagine that it is all that made up, the reason for which is simply that I reacted in very similar ways in similar situations. Ha! Some of the things he said also rang very true or at least very familiar. That's when this idea started in my head that somebody should do some research on this... but unfortunately GirlAfraid23 doesn't want to do it for her dissertation. :( Morrissey often said that he is normal and that others are like this as well and make similiar experiences and I think he is very right about this. And he knows people who also did. Altogether I found reading that book quite an enrichment. I think also Rogan must have some Virgin aspect in his astrological thingies, because he is so incredibly detail oriented.

I get what you're saying, although the book just didnt ring true with me to be honest!
I would do my dissertation on it but I just doubt there is enough information and mine would be more on the 1980s and the smiths influence on it and the years to follow...:)

All the band are very small built.I was surprised. Jesse looks tiny.

Tags
photo
Back
Top Bottom