Morrissey and drugs

the_kaz

Has Morrissey ever spoken publicly about his opinion on drugs and whether or not he has experimented with them, or if he has ever used them to fuel his creativity? The closest I can think of is the line, “I know I took strange pills, but I never meant to hurt you” from Late Night, Maudlin Street, but I don’t really know what that’s referring to. :confused:

Has Morrissey ever spoken publicly about his opinion on drugs and whether or not he has experimented with them, or if he has ever used them to fuel his creativity? The closest I can think of is the line, “I know I took strange pills, but I never meant to hurt you” from Late Night, Maudlin Street, but I don’t really know what that’s referring to. :confused:

he said in Q a few years ago he took E but wasnt that keen , im pretty sure the interview was reprited in morrissey in conversation

This interview.

Q: Have you taken Ecstasy?

Yes I have. I've taken it a couple of times. The first time I took it was the most astonishing moment of my life. Because - and I don't want to sound truly pathetic - I looked in the mirror and saw somebody very, very attractive. Now, of course, this was the delusion of the drug, and it wears off. But it was astonishing for that hour, or for however long it was, to look into the mirror and really, really like what came back at me. Now even though I had that wonderful experience, and it was a solitary experience - there was nobody else present - I'm not actually interested in drugs of any kind. I'm not prudish, I don't mind if other people take them, but it's not for me. I just don't have the interest.

Maybe he's confused about what he took. E lasts a lot longer than an hour.

I am fully convinced he took E before the November Spawns... video. It all reminds me of that episode of Family Guy where they show the clip of Peter taking E and rolling on the floor.
But I love the video all the same<3
and Morrissey all the same. Who cares if he does drugs? His life. I really believe him when he says he's not interested in drugs - I'm the same way and I've been around cigarettes and pot in my family. and yet I have no desire to do 'em. haha.

I took E once. It was one year ago the day before yesterday. I was with people then I got extremely horny and afraid I'd get too frisky so went of by myself which is a BAD idea to do alone. I'll just say the Peter bit with him rolling around on the ground all naked and giggling is a rough approximation of my experience which is why I'll never do it again. The next day was basically hell.

I suppose I forgot to make my point, which is not simply to retell my experience, but to say that if it's true that Morrissey did E alone he was a brave, brave man.

Don't do drugs please.

You must think I'm psycho. I'm just covering all my bases. I'm the Tommy Lasorda of crazy, except I'm coaching the Angels.

I really don't want to do drugs. It's weird. I know I wouldn't like the feeling of something so small and silly have control over me.

Partially why I don't want to take antidepressants. Such a small thing can control you so much.
D: It's just too...scary.

Mm yes Ive had bad experiences with several drugs. After a horrible time on mushrooms about a year and a half ago i was never able to even drink again

I didn't realise he was so upset with Vic Reeves. I'm pretty sure he wasn't out to hurt him, if anything he was paying homage. I think Morrissey changed his mind about Vic later though, I can't remember the exact interview.

Oh yeah and, DON'T DO DRUGS KIDS!!!

Don__t_Do_Drugs_by_animatrixie.jpg

Has Morrissey ever spoken publicly about his opinion on drugs and whether or not he has experimented with them, or if he has ever used them to fuel his creativity? :

he spoke in an interview about that he has taken ECSTASY once but interestingly... by himself/when he was alone...

Interview by Adrian Deevoy
Q, September, 1992

Q: Why do you think you provoke such extreme reactions? Some people really hate you.
Because I have a specific identity. I have a very clear idea what I want to say lyrically and the approach I have is just far too direct for most people. A song like Interesting Drug spoke about drug culture, and I think the pop establishment can deal with pop drug culture in its present form because it doesn't convey anything. It's very vague and wispy and (lolls tongue out and rolls eyes) uuuuung, unngh. But if you say, Interesting drug/the one that you took/God, it really helped you. That line was just far too direct.

Q: Have you taken Ecstasy?
Yes I have. I've taken it a couple of times. The first time I took it was the most astonishing moment of my life. Because - and I don't want to sound truly pathetic - I looked in the mirror and saw somebody very, very attractive. Now, of course, this was the delusion of the drug, and it wears off. But it was astonishing for that hour, or for however long it was, to look into the mirror and really, really like what came back at me. Now even though I had that wonderful experience, and it was a solitary experience - there was nobody else present - I'm not actually interested in drugs of any kind. I'm not prudish, I don't mind if other people take them, but it's not for me. I just don't have the interest.
http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1992/isay.htm
interesting drug lyrics http://www.oz.net/~moz/lyrics/bonadrag/interest.htm

EDIT.:
he also talked about somewhere else/ or it was reported that he for quite some has taken valium / downers /sleeping pills before johnny and him got together in the late 70 ties7early 80ties..the time when he spend a lot of time he spend on his own at home in his mum`s house " developing himself,"watching movies. reading...

so the seasick lyrics came surely from personal experience
"And you can tell I have never really loved
You can tell, by the way, I sleep all day"

Last edited:
In both "Severed Alliance" and a recent Smiths Mojo article suggested that Morrissey had a liking for "strange pills" as a teen. Rourke however mentioned in that article about feeding Morrissey "candy" when he was with the Smiths.

Plus, there is plenty of speculation out there; particularly an incident that happened sometime before the Nassau Colisium show back in '91, when radio station WDRE reported Morrissey being admitted to a hospital in Long Island. The reason for that hospital stay was not reported officially, but I remember the rumor was that it was drug related. The show went on as scheduled.

Does anyone remember that incident?

Back
Top Bottom