Morrissey and band bares all (front this time) new pic

This him?

n1059351172_4002.jpg

http://en-gb.facebook.com/people/Travis-Shinn/1059351172

He looks like Morgan Spurlock..the guy that did Supersize Me..lolz

By the way... the new photo is hysterical. Morrissey is getting better with age. In the looks department and personality department. I haven't seen so much Morrissey action since...never!!!
Poor Morrissey's butt...The split reaction of the band in the back pretty much sums up the spilt reaction of the solo board. Half were horrified and half were unable to work for a week due to excessive eyeballing of the arse photo!

Poor Morrissey's butt...The split reaction of the band in the back pretty much sums up the spilt reaction of the solo board. Half were horrified and half were unable to work for a week due to excessive eyeballing of the arse photo!
LOL. That's funny. I was a little of both! :lbf:

So, I ordered CD1 from Amazon UK. It arrived today (I'm in the US), which was early, and I was ecstatic; I got the album today and the the b-side is a bonus, one more new (and unexpected!) song! Yay!

But... the CD is in a cardboard case and the infamous picture is nowhere to be found!

I'm so disappointed. WTF!

So, I ordered CD1 from Amazon UK. It arrived today (I'm in the US), which was early, and I was ecstatic; the b-side is a bonus new song! Yay!

But... the CD is in a cardboard case and the infamous picture is nowhere to be found!

I'm so disappointed. WTF!

It's only on the 7" vinyl.

Haha. Oh. I dunno where I got the impression that it was on the CD.

If we consider new pics and vids and artwork as full of symbols, this pic may mean that Morrissey is (still) hiding his sexuality behind the music. I don't know of the band memebers though... :confused: (Where is Crystal Geezer when I need her?)

You surprise me. Which pictures, videos and artwork and which symbols do you mean?

Paris, for example. It's very symbolic, isn't it? Not that I understand any of the symbols.

Why do you think that it hides his sexuality?

He said in a recent interview that the director of the video came up with the storyboard and thus also the symbols. He let him do whatever he wanted and he then shot the video with him doing his part.

No, I said two different things but probably my wording wasn't clear enough:

1. Vinyls covering up his bits - he bares it all in music other than his sexuality, so nobody should enquire him about it, cause he won't answer. Did he say, "it's all there in the music", or something along the line?

2. We notice symbols all around the vid. Then the album artwork, recent imagery etc.

But actually I was just thinking out loud, wondering what other people thought about it.

It was me who said that the picture tells you to not look and listen to the vinyl that it came along with (should have come along with) instead. I was very alone with that interpretation though. Morrissey says that there was no reason for him to not do the image and that he did it because women do it all the time - pose almost naked. Would you have really liked to see him fully naked? Wouldn't that have limited the markets to where it could have been sold?

I don't remember that interpretation which is understandable because the pic blinded me, sort of, but it's a very interesting one. And it also reminds me of Leonard Cohen's lines from Hallelujah: "You don't really care for music, do you?"
You know I would really like to see him naked, but I agree with you that it definitely would've limited his markets.

As I said, the symbols seem to say more about the video director than Morrissey. Paul van Dyke uses a lot of such symbols in his videos, too. And Linder Sterling knows about such things, thus the stuff that he had hang down his pants at his birthday concert in Manchester. Could be that they have their ideas, tell Morrissey and then he agrees because he can identify with the messages so that he goes ahead with that. He toys around with all three: no sex/sexless, sex with men, sex with women. And each time the people who can identify with either message see an affirmation of what they thought and want to see.

Thanks for that, I'm not very familiar with Paul van Dyke's work.

I used to think that Morrissey understood social gender construction and that part of his art was about gender deconstruction. I don't think so anymore though.

I think I know why you say that. Is it because he agreed that his music was becoming more masculine?

No, because he says it is masculine. He gives it the adjective masculine.
It is music that is played the way it is. There is nothing male to it. It is what it is, music, not a man. It is society that says that this kind of music is masculine. Interestingly I came across a wikipedia entry of George Bernard Shaw last night (!) and I was delighted to see that there was at least one other person who thinks that this male/female attribution to music is nonsense. He refused to give the gender of the composer any significance in how he judged the composition. In 1923 he asked in a letter how male the work of Händel is and how feminine the ones of Mendelsohn and Arthur Sullivan.

There are people who say that women don't play the drums because they have not sense of rhythm. Women, not just a few women, women as such. Why should women not have a sense of rhythm? The drums are very dominant on this album. Nobody wants to tell me that the music on this album is masculine because the drums are dominant and women can't appreciate it because they have no sense of rhythm, I hope... even though I have my doubts, people come up with all sorts of funny things...

I never had/have any trouble when masculine/femenine is attributed to arts, music, behaviour etc. but I can see why you find it bothering. It is certainly destined to predetermine our perception of the piece of art, music, behaviour etc. in question.

I have banned myself from looking at the nudie pic because visions or Morrissey and band orgies spring to my mind:horny:horny:....and my my poor heart can't take anymore.

Not sure if I really find it bothering.

In any case, as I stated above, I don't think that part of Morrissey's art is about gender deconstruction anymore.

this is the subject i'd be happy to read/discuss more about.
what made morrissey's earlier work more gender deconstructive? or which were the features? i'd just loved to hear your views 'cos this subject really interests me. maybe there shold be another thread even..

ps. i'm a total twat, but in which interview does M say his music is masculine? I've missed that part :o

this is the subject i'd be happy to read/discuss more about.
what made morrissey's earlier work more gender deconstructive? or which were the features? i'd just loved to hear your views 'cos this subject really interests me. maybe there shold be another thread even..
t :o
me too...very interesting topic maybe discussed elsewhere?
I wish I could express my views but at the moment I just cant find the right words in english to describe it...
so let me quote abit
lot of about that has be written in articles and in the early interviews moz spoke quite freely about such things

"I'm in fact very anti-aggression. Obviously I'm interested in sex and every song is about sex. I'm very interested in GENDER. I feel I'm a kind of prophet for the fourth sex."

"The third sex, even that has been done and it's failed. All that Marc Almond bit is pathetic. It sounds trite in print but it's something close to 'men's liberation' that I desire."

The fourth sex! Excuse me, but I'm still in a metaphysical state about it. It will come. With every Smiths appearance it comes closer. Off stage, in bed, in bed alone. It's coming...

"I just want something different. I want to make it easier for people. I'm bored with men and I'm bored with women. All this sexual segregation that goes on, even in rock 'n' roll, I really despise it..."
abou the hand in glove pic cover he spoke about that he though it was about time the male body should be explored...instead of only women..

The sexes have been too easily defined. People are so rigidly locked into these two little categories. I dont know anybody who is absolutely, exclusively heterosexual. It limits peoples potential in so many areas. I think we should slap down these barriers.

"I don´t recognise such terms as heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual and I think it´s important that there´s someone in pop music who´s like that. These words do great damage, they confuse people and they make people feel unhappy so I want to do away with them." Star Hits 1985
etc...
a good site
http://www.debaser.org/mozskin/mozskin/ms01.htm
and
http://www.shopliftersunion.com/union/taina/morriss.htm
and this
http://www.geocities.com/thisisyourcomputerspeaking/cast7.html
his infliences
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/influence.htm
interview overview with topics from the smiths time
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/smiths-m.htm

Last edited:
I thought I heard Morrissey describe the album as more "muscular", in a recent interview (R4?) describing the loudness and energy and rockier style.

With Zane Lowe interview who used the word "masculine", or both? And what context? Or direct me to the portion of the ZL interview the mention was in, plz.

How do you define masculine? What positive and negative attributes? What does it exclude? Why?
Has the view of what constitutes "masculine" changed from when Morrissey made the comments quoted above..

:confused:

Tags
50 year old virgin art boz needed a 12" drop the record i can tag too international male jesse = ftm? jesse has moobs love-handle heaven matt walker please misssexygarytoo moz sexgod naked morrissey next step: dick out omg! proof there's a god pubes records off sexyalainmissed sol wishes he were phish strange wank material 4 da galz wank material 4 da gayz you're so welcome!
Back
Top Bottom