Morrissey and band bares all (front this time) new pic

and yes I agree about the oscar wilde bit (posted by (?)anesthesine
and also that he did proclaim himself as celibate in the 80ties cause he knew back then that it will stand out and will be picked on..

Yea, I think this pic was in the works. He has been showing bits and pieces of his body his entire career, even back with The Smiths. Shirtless, ass shot, and then the full monty. Or 3/4 monty. I think it's funny and also shocking, but that's what he's known for.
haha 2 days after this pic appeared they showed the "the full monty "again on tv here ..what a coincidence
I wonder why he doesn't just do a peta ad for anti-fur. You know, those ones where it says "I would rather go naked"? I'd like to see him do one of those. I mean, he'd look WAY better than Khloe Kardashian. She's more manly than he is. It's scary.
maybe this will e indeed used.or moz looked up that ads and sais to himself..why not do it as well

the guardian has written about his arse and point out about to certain lyrics..may i add "the naked man in your dreams, and I think it me" from AYNIM ;-)
Morrissey's arse photographed by Jake Walters." Now there's six words I didn't expect to find when I opened up Morrissey's new Greatest Hits CD. Nor - obviously - did I expect to find the photo of the bum in question in all its peachy glory.

It's somewhat uncharacteristic for a man who's traded in coyness and ambiguity. But not for one who's also always loved to shock and surprise us. Like everything Morrissey does, the photo is rich with readings. Is he trying to show us he still feels naked and vulnerable? Is he being titillating and inviting? Perhaps it's a message to NME and the rest of his haters? Not "f*** me", but "f*** you!"

As we're celebrating the Smiths' silver jubilee perhaps that arse is saying; "This is where I came in." The first line of their first single Hand in Glove was an equally bold declaration: "The sun shines out of our behinds..." The sense of a suggested continuum continues - the cover of Hand In Glove featured another beautiful photograph of a man's arse by Jim French. In 1983, Morrissey gave his first - and only interview - with the gay press, telling Him Magazine (now Gay Times): "I adore the picture... Naked males should be splashed around the Co-op."

Iggy Pop and John Lennon have gone full-frontal, but it's worth noting how rare it is for a male artist to put his arse on his sleeve. Mozza may be making a nod to his idol, the failed gay glam singer, Jobriath, who displayed his backside on the cover of his first album. Keith Moon made a crap pun on his name on Two Sides of the Moon. And Bruce Springsteen probably never grasped the playful semiotics behind the photo on the cover of Born in the USA - shot by Annie Leibovitz (Susan Sontag's lover, please note).

The new photo may also be mocking his own public image. Ever since the Smiths' first Top of the Pops appearances, Morrissey has been dismissed as "That bloke with flowers coming out of his arse." A reference to his habit of appearing on stage with a bunch of gladioli in the back pockets of his Levis - arguably also an homage to that famous final scene from one of his favourite films, Carry On Nurse ("Come come, matron. Surely you've seen a temperature taken like this before?")

Tellingly, Mozza waved goodbye to the Smiths with Poppy Cocteau, a poem etched onto a live flexidisc given away with trade magazine the Catalogue; "So then I went to Liverpool, and got held up outside a nightclub by two merchant seamen who said; 'Give us your money or give us your trousers.' And as I handed them my trousers ... "

Elsewhere Morrissey has shown a fetishisation of the fear of being caught naked; "I cannot steal a pair of jeans off a clothesline for you ... Me without clothes? Well, a nation turns its back and gags" (Late Night, Maudlin Street). "Back to the bench where your clothes were stolen" (Every Day is Like Sunday). And on the new song, All You Need is Me, we hear how; "There's a naked man standing, laughing in your dreams."

On Nowhere Fast, Morrissey showed that showing your arse was his ultimate insult; "I'd like to drop my trousers to the Queen / Every sensible child will know what this means." Reinforced by: "Through hail and snow I'd go just to moon you" (I Have Forgiven Jesus).

It's not too fanciful to suggest that Morrissey also sees a man's arse as not insulting, but inviting: Let the Right One Slip In, Wide to Receive. "I entered nothing, and noting entered me, 'til you came with the key..." (You Have Killed Me). And is he really singing "So find me," on A Rush and a Push and the Land is Ours?

And what should we read into this particular choice of photo? Judging by its pertness and the referencing of Your Arsenal, it was probably taken back in the early-to-mid 90s. The photographer, Jake Walters was Moz's live-in PA for much of the 90s.

Many have commented on how this self-styled Greatest Hits collection contains hits that are - all bar one - from the first year of his solo career, and the last four. His 90s are represented by just one song, The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get, as if he now sees that entire period of his life as a big gaping hole. Conversely, the title Greatest Hits could have been chosen for its obvious anagram - Tightest Arse.

I'm tempted to conclude that that photograph of this charming arse is a visual play on words: Posterior/Posterity. No? Perhaps Morrissey is trying to tell us something: "This is the end."
Posted by Richard Smith}&lpos={bl
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2008/feb/15/morrisseywearshisarseonhi

Last edited:
Reeks of desperation.

and also Frinkyness. :D

There must be something wrong with me. I think this cheapens everything.

I have to agree... Not that I was not curious. But I just didn't see this coming. Just seams way out of place. What a weird thing... Poor Boz... I can hear him now, "I have to do what?!?" "Naked?" "Cameras?"

Funny thing is, I totally appreciate the artistic value of this, however, I can not get over the odd feeling in the pit of my stomach on this. Maybe I am just being stupid...

BrianSD :eek:

What's the age of consent in Nevada?
Hi, Paris! :) The age of consent in Nevada is sweet 16.

Any more questions? I know by heart the consent laws of each and every State of the Union, as well as all outlying territories and possessions.

Hi, Paris! :) The age of consent in Nevada is sweet 16.

Any more questions? I know by heart the consent laws of each and every State of the Union, as well as all outlying territories and possessions.

You should be my new best friend!! Start memorizing the drug laws of every country, ok? And do you know which color grapes are the highest in calories? I want to feed them to Chubby in the hot tub!!!

but at the expense of what...everything he's ever stood for? He's become the epitome of celebrity. We all know he is intelligent with strong opinions but why get naked with a 45 on your dick. What does this say? To us? To everyone? Nothing. I think it's stupid. Again, I must be missing something. Have some cooth, SPM.

i agree with you and it seems a few others.

i find it horribly distasteful, and a violation of many things he stood for.

and you're right, HE presented himself that way for all these years- it's not some illusion we drew up as his audience. it's a strict violation of his own aesthetic as an artist (which was always very refined, to something cheap and campy in the worst possible way.)
there is a level of betrayal i feel, if you read into it as some fans are. if you can laugh it off, or even find it funny then great. but the truth of the matter is, there is no way you can tell me the person we saw in smiths interviews, the person he was twenty years ago, would ever accept or condone this. it goes against everything he stood for then, whether in the cheapness of it or the style of humour or even the expression of sexual comfort. it plainly is not who he was. and that's fine, he has the option to change as any human. but he also has the ability to disappoint and corrode and dampen what was a flawless intellectual and artistic aesthetic as well. his perrogative.

i for one am extremely disappointed, honestly this has changed my relationship to him as a fan on some level. if you get what i'm saying then you know what i mean, if not you won't. it's a trust thing. it's an expectation thing. i expect more from him. much more. and yes i do have a sense of humour, but it's not as simplistic as this.

Now this is a crazy pic! :eek: What is the meaning behind this type of promo pic? This is unlike Moz to come out with the band naked. :rolleyes::sick:

i agree with you and it seems a few others.

i find it horribly distasteful, and a violation of many things he stood for.

and you're right, HE presented himself that way for all these years- it's not some illusion we drew up as his audience. it's a strict violation of his own aesthetic as an artist (which was always very refined, to something cheap and campy in the worst possible way.)
there is a level of betrayal i feel, if you read into it as some fans are. if you can laugh it off, or even find it funny then great. but the truth of the matter is, there is no way you can tell me the person we saw in smiths interviews, the person he was twenty years ago, would ever accept or condone this. it goes against everything he stood for then, whether in the cheapness of it or the style of humour or even the expression of sexual comfort. it plainly is not who he was. and that's fine, he has the option to change as any human. but he also has the ability to disappoint and corrode and dampen what was a flawless intellectual and artistic aesthetic as well. his perrogative.

i for one am extremely disappointed, honestly this has changed my relationship to him as a fan on some level. if you get what i'm saying then you know what i mean, if not you won't. it's a trust thing. it's an expectation thing. i expect more from him. much more. and yes i do have a sense of humour, but it's not as simplistic as this.

There are some very scary people on this site. Unless you are a friend or family member you do not know anything about Morrissey as an individual. You only have a perception of what kind of individual you think he is. He's not violated or betrayed anything or anyone by posing for a picture like this. It's not to be taken seriously - its tongue in cheek. Seriously - get over yourselves. Who are you to judge how he should act, think or feel? You don't even know him.

Of course he's not the same person we saw twenty years ago. Who is? Life changes everyone. He's still Morrissey. He's still (unbelievably after all this time) making wonderful music. And he's still one of the only characters in the music business worth listening to when they speak. But its 2009 and he's grown up. He's probably not the shy, miserable, depressed loner you desperately want him to be. He can have a laugh and a joke even if you can't.

Just count your lucky stars that its 2009 and Mozzer is still releasing great singles and great albums.

I don't understand all these dramatic expressions of betrayal. In fact they are quite annoying in their level of obsession and general ignorance about Morrissey the artist. He's been getting his kit off throughout his career. The only difference with this one is the rest of the band did it as well. Which suggests to me quite a nice feeling of solidarity within the band that there may not have been before. In the past it's always been Morrissey dodging the flack on his own.

There are some very scary people on this site. Unless you are a friend or family member you do not know anything about Morrissey as an individual. You only have a perception of what kind of individual you think he is. He's not violated or betrayed anything or anyone by posing for a picture like this. It's not to be taken seriously - its tongue in cheek. Seriously - get over yourselves. Who are you to judge how he should act, think or feel? You don't even know him.

Of course he's not the same person we saw twenty years ago. Who is? Life changes everyone. He's still Morrissey. He's still (unbelievably after all this time) making wonderful music. And he's still one of the only characters in the music business worth listening to when they speak. But its 2009 and he's grown up. He's probably not the shy, miserable, depressed loner you desperately want him to be. He can have a laugh and a joke even if you can't.

Just count your lucky stars that its 2009 and Mozzer is still releasing great singles and great albums.

What he said.

I love that Morrissey’s still relevant … I hate that people tell me how to feel.

Last edited:
The over reaction is funny really. I don't feel betrayed at all. I think the picture is highly amusing. (and that Matt Walker should drop the record ;))

He's not violated or betrayed anything or anyone by posing for a picture like this. It's not to be taken seriously - its tongue in cheek. ...He's still Morrissey. He's still (unbelievably after all this time) making wonderful music. And he's still one of the only characters in the music business worth listening to when they speak. But its 2009 and he's grown up. ... He can have a laugh and a joke even if you can't.

Nicely put. I don't like this word, betrayal. Too heavy a word for a bunch of naked guys. :D

Hear hear, people talking about betayals and trust being broken are just bonkers. Some people have built up a whole personality and set of ideals for Morrissey that's completely of their own making. We don't know him and he owes us nothing. It's just a silly and very funny picture of a few blokes.

Tags
50 year old virgin art boz needed a 12" drop the record i can tag too international male jesse = ftm? jesse has moobs love-handle heaven matt walker please misssexygarytoo moz sexgod naked morrissey next step: dick out omg! proof there's a god pubes records off sexyalainmissed sol wishes he were phish strange wank material 4 da galz wank material 4 da gayz you're so welcome!
Back
Top Bottom