Morrissey and Anti-Facism

Joe Dolan

Wielding a bicycle chain
I was reading the Morrissey wikipedia entry today (bored at work and skiving), and saw he was a signatory to the British anti-fascist organisation Unite against Fascism. The link to the list of signatories:

http://www.uaf.org.uk/aboutUAF.asp?choice=4

I'm not surprised by this in the slightest, it was just something I didn't know (or had forgotten). In terms of affiliation to political/ethical groups, I was under the impression that he had only signed up to Animal Rights organisations only. Has Morrissey advocated or let his name be used for any other groups in the past besides the likes of PETA etc.?

Perhaps this is old news - I have a terrible memory - but I did find it quite pleasing, nonetheless.

Last edited:
In terms of affiliation to political/ethical groups, I was under the impression that he had only signed up to Animal Rights organisations only.
Me too. Perhaps his PR people made him do it after all that Finsbury Park fuss :rolleyes:

Artists Against Apartheid

Dont forget, The Smiths final concert in Brixton was an 'Artists Against Apartheid' benefit gig.
Hardly the actions of a racist........

The Goat

Me too. Perhaps his PR people made him do it after all that Finsbury Park fuss :rolleyes:
His PR people? He has them? Do they have a handbook called "How to make enemies and irritate people"? :p

Come on... the idea that someone made Morrissey do it?! The man who did not even want to respond to the stupid racist allegations?! He could have said a lot in his defense, but he was too stubborn. He believed he DID NOT NEED to defend himself - and he didn't - but the public saw it as a sign that he WAS racist.

And I don't even want to go into how stupid those allegations were. Do people really still need that explained over and over? :rolleyes:

Re: Artists Against Apartheid

Dont forget, The Smiths final concert in Brixton was an 'Artists Against Apartheid' benefit gig.

The Goat
in the early days, when they were just a promising demo band, The Smiths refused a contract with a big publishing house (I can't remember its name) because of its ties to South African Apartheid government. (it's mentioned in 'Severed Alliance")

BTW one of Morrissey's favourite authors is Maya Angelou, he plays a track of hers pre-gigs and invited her to Meltdown too... as a teenager he used to read books such as "Diary of Harlem Schoolteacher" and "Sex and Racism in America"... he also used to go out with a black girl at that time, and in mid-90s he was a big fan of Echobelly and good mates with their singer Sonya Aurora Madan (who is of Indian origin)... I'm just mentioning all that to show what a big, bad racist and neo-nazi he is. :p :rolleyes:

His PR people? He has them? Do they have a handbook called "How to make enemies and irritate people"? :p

Come on... the idea that someone made Morrissey do it?! The man who did not even want to respond to the stupid racist allegations?! He could have said a lot in his defense, but he was too stubborn. He believed he DID NOT NEED to defend himself - and he didn't - but the public saw it as a sign that he WAS racist.

And I don't even want to go into how stupid those allegations were. Do people really still need that explained over and over? :rolleyes:

This is really funny. The idea that all the things Morrissey does are planned for PR, I mean. What sort of evil genius plans these things? The cancelled festival appearances alone would have sunk lesser artists.

his people?
what are you on about?
moz didn't have "people" to make him do anything in those days .

The Goat

I didn't know that - although I knew he was anti apartheid. I was never trying to infer anything untoward about his politics. Like I said, I'm not surprised at all. I just found it interesting, and its always good to see something lke that. The suggestions that this counts as some kind of PR stunt or that "his people" made him do it I find ridiculous. More like he heard about the organisation and agreed with its philosphy and decided to become a signatory as it was something he felt strongly about - thats the obvious conclusion. As for the racism thing - it is as stupid know as it was then. Only a person of limited intellect could ever come to that conclusion.

An afterthought - I suppose turning up at that Red Wedge thing in the eighties with The Smiths would count as lending his support to a political movement.

Back
Top Bottom