Morrissey actually has a bleeding ulcer; tour to resume Feb. 9 in Las Vegas - BrooklynVegan

UPDATE Jan. 29:

Joe sends the link:

Grapevine: Morrissey checks out of Royal Oak hospital - The Detroit News

Excerpt:

British singer Morrissey has been released from a Metro Detroit hospital and is expected to make a full recovery, his publicist said on Monday. According to publicist Lauren Papapietro, Morrissey checked himself into Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak on Friday. After undergoing tests, he was diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer and subsequently rescheduled at least six shows, she said.

"Morrissey is expected to make a full recovery and thanks everyone concerned for their support during this time …," Papapietro said.

Morrissey actually has a bleeding ulcer
- BrooklynVegan

Excerpt:

Following hospital treatment, Morrissey has been diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer and the upcoming engagements in Asheville, NC, Nashville, TN, Atlanta, GA, Lawrence, KS, Clear Lake, IA and Lincoln, NE will need to be rescheduled. Morrissey is expected to make a full recovery and thanks everyone concerned for their support during this time. The tour will resume in Las Vegas on Saturday, February 9. Patrons are encouraged to hold on to their tickets as all rescheduled dates will be announced within the coming days.

Morrissey apologizes greatly for any and all inconvenience and looks forward to continuing his US tour.

UPDATE 5:55 PM PT:

MORRIZSEY posted the link:

Morrissey's health condition diagnosed in Metro Detroit hospital forces him to reschedule tour dates - MLive.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey actually has a bleeding ulcer; tour to resume Feb. 9 in Las Ve

Boorer is a trouper. It would be great if Morrissey could work again with Alain Whyte and pull together a few really good songs, and then work with a couple of other songwriters to come up with a few more songs. Imagine the album he'd make if he worked with the likes of Richard Hawley (who auditioned for Morrissey's band back before the Kill Uncle album/tour), or Bernard Butler for example. Moz needs some new blood in his pump and he should stop all this touring and concentrate on making a great album. It would make it easier to get a new record contract if he showcased some really strong songs, just like he did with 'Irish Blood' and 'First of the Gang' back in his pre-Quarry 'wilderness' tours.

Richard Hawley would be a really interesting choice. He might really help recapture Moz's muse. Someone should lock the two of them in the Big Brother house for three days to see what happens.

Re: Article: Morrissey actually has a bleeding ulcer; tour to resume Feb. 9 in Las Ve

I read a fun fact in yesterday's crossword puzzle regarding "anonymous." Not a fact so much but a tidbit I hadn't thought of that made me like the concept of anonymous a tad more. Most folk songs are written by "ANON". :thumb: There's wisdom in folk songs. Granted most of them don't TROLL HUMANITY, but the honest Anon posts are often lovely like a folk song.
I just hope to God Morrissey is going to be alright.

Re: Morrissey in St. Louis

What did Morrissey have to do with that story?

I don't think this tweeted tip holds a lot of water, Morrissey being at her grieving side all weekend, because Kristeen doesn't seem terribly broken up over the event on her Facebook. Maybe he is now that he was released from a hospital (can they make that stuff up?) but something seems off with her demeanor. Whatever. Sorry for her loss, I wouldn't be gunning to be back on tour three days after my mom's death if I were her. People mourn in different ways I guess.

I'd be pretty sad if it WERE true and I'm sitting here like an idiot worrying about an ulcer while she's having all her nurturing fantasies come true. :rolleyes: Maybe a bitchy comment but I'm crabby. I feel like Typhoid Mary at the moment coughing up my pleura every two minutes.

I've had the impression that KY was a bit of a cold fish emotionally. A bit emotionally stunted and selfish. Christ, KY is, what, 37? Needs to get over herself. Was this her birth mother, or her foster mother who passed? (guess it doesn't really matter) Some of the comments she has made towards her foster mother have been rude (at least in my genteel book). She's shown no respect for a woman, who I'm sure has a load of faults, who had taken her in and gave her a roof over her head and had sent her to an art school. She must have cared some to do that for KY.

I am sorry for the loss of a mother. I'm not sorry for KY. She's just too dysfunctional emotionally to elicit any sympathy for her from me. While it is true that people mourn differently, KY is just cold about it. whatever. i think i'm getting what you got CrystalGeezer...sigh i need day off :)

Actually the sad fact is that Morrissey is now a boring version of Morrissey. The most interesting thing he's produced recently is his stool and urine sample.

The most interesting thing about martin is.....NOPE can't think of a thing. From all accounts when he is seen walking around Brighton he looks like a tramp his LP was what, 8 years in the making it should be good and it is OK-shame he can't sing or find anything interesting to say.
He is and will always be a small town affair, a ropey stand in for the main event.
Its also a shame his "moz" act comes to him as naturally as intelligence to does to someone from Oklahoma

Wasn't the Richard Hawley possibility explored and rejected? I remember reading somewhere that Moz froze when RH supplied lyrics to the new music he'd written.

Richard Hawley would be a really interesting choice. He might really help recapture Moz's muse. Someone should lock the two of them in the Big Brother house for three days to see what happens.

They'd probably both develop ulcers. I'm an admirer of all the Moz comeback albums - I even hear a lot in three of the new (as yet unreleased) songs - but I'd love to hear him singing against some acoustics again. And Hawley's retro-leanings (torch ballads, pre-Beatle pop) would surely fit Morrissey like, erm, a glove.

He might really help recapture Moz's muse.

They'd need a fairly large net. And a muse is kind of smarter than a moose. Not dismissing the plan altogether, note, but it'd really take some careful planning...
Mmm.

get well soon moz x

The most interesting thing about martin is.....NOPE can't think of a thing. From all accounts when he is seen walking around Brighton he looks like a tramp his LP was what, 8 years in the making it should be good and it is OK-shame he can't sing or find anything interesting to say.
He is and will always be a small town affair, a ropey stand in for the main event.
Its also a shame his "moz" act comes to him as naturally as intelligence to does to someone from Oklahoma

Nothing was expected of Rossiter, so his new album was a very pleasant surprise. Who knows if there is more to come? Maybe, maybe not.

Quarry was Morrissey's last decent album and that took seven years while Three Points On A Compass pisses on any of Moz's unreleased stuff. It is unreleased for a reason. It would be a good way for a record company to lose their investment, but little else. People Are The Same Everywhere? Jesus. The sound of treading water. If anything Rossiter and Morrissey are doing a Benjamin Button. As one fades into songwriters block the other surprisingly releases a small gem of an album.

I've had the impression that KY was a bit of a cold fish emotionally. A bit emotionally stunted and selfish. Christ, KY is, what, 37? Needs to get over herself. Was this her birth mother, or her foster mother who passed? (guess it doesn't really matter) Some of the comments she has made towards her foster mother have been rude (at least in my genteel book). She's shown no respect for a woman, who I'm sure has a load of faults, who had taken her in and gave her a roof over her head and had sent her to an art school. She must have cared some to do that for KY.

I am sorry for the loss of a mother. I'm not sorry for KY. She's just too dysfunctional emotionally to elicit any sympathy for her from me. While it is true that people mourn differently, KY is just cold about it. whatever. i think i'm getting what you got CrystalGeezer...sigh i need day off :)

What were the rude comments?

Who is KY? If this is Kristeen Young then I think she is just still very young. We all make mistakes when we are young. I had this feeling though that she saw Morrissey as a bit of a father figure. Without his support she would be a lot less known but I think she is aware of this. Kristeen is a creative person, a creative, sensitive artist. We don't know what went on in her background when she was growing up. If here biological parents were not around it must of been tough for her. Kristeen Young reminds me a bit of Kate Bush and PJ Harvey. It also has to be said the music industry is a tough industry to be in and people who have good 'working relationships' does not mean they then have good, close personal relationships.

It sound like Kristeen Young has had some depression:

At the outset, Kristeen Young intended the follow-up to her 2009's thunderous "Music for Strippers, Hookers, and the Odd On-Looker" album to be a funk record. Only at the time, she was in a bit of a 'funk' herself. "I was going through a particularly dank depression," she reveals. Mired in the midst of this protracted "blue period," she sought solace through immersion in her favorite movies—and from that escapism sprang new inspiration. "I didn't want to be me, so I decided to use what was killing my time and become other people." Not real people, but her very real-seeming companions at the time: movie characters. Now she had a legit excuse to spend even more time disappearing into the world onscreen. And "disappear" is the right word, as that theme crops up throughout "V The Volcanic"—not just in the sense of getting lost in the alternate realm of movies, but also apropos of how the expanding virtual universe crowds out the "real" world.

Last edited:

Watched this yesterday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGPP4rcvdtQ&list=UUIozOftCXFyXvJE1o-V_UeQ&index=2

Morrissey canceled shows, hid from friends, and hid from the media multiple times in The Smiths, without any reason given. And the other Smiths and his managers were used to it...and as a fan, you should be too.

If it's uti, bleeding ulcer, or depression, it doesn't matter. These are all illnesses that should be treated. Get over yourselves. Or find someone else to DEAD-icate your life too.

Agreed. I've heard a lot of fans over the years complain about his depression not being a real reason to cancel. Clinical depression is a legitimate disease and it's not just a case of the mopes because it's a Monday or it's raining or whatever. Perhaps those complaints come from people who have never struggled with it personally or didn't know someone that had. My mother has dealt with it her whole life, some days she won't (read: can't) even get out of bed. And you don't pull the covers off and just tell them to get over it, it doesn't work that way. No amount of pills can fix those bad days. They just happen and you hope the next day won't be the same. We all fell in love with a sad bastard's music, we know what we're getting into by now. It's okay to be sad and angry when it happens, but I hate when people complain about the depression like it's his fault or something. It's no one's fault.

Agreed. I've heard a lot of fans over the years complain about his depression not being a real reason to cancel. Clinical depression is a legitimate disease and it's not just a case of the mopes because it's a Monday or it's raining or whatever. Perhaps those complaints come from people who have never struggled with it personally or didn't know someone that had. My mother has dealt with it her whole life, some days she won't (read: can't) even get out of bed. And you don't pull the covers off and just tell them to get over it, it doesn't work that way. No amount of pills can fix those bad days. They just happen and you hope the next day won't be the same. We all fell in love with a sad bastard's music, we know what we're getting into by now. It's okay to be sad and angry when it happens, but I hate when people complain about the depression like it's his fault or something. It's no one's fault.
I agree with you about depression it is a very real illness.

I don't like that documentary The Rise & Fall Of The Smiths though because it has Andy Rourke and all that lot in it just trying to make a fast buck.

Last edited:

Wasn't the Richard Hawley possibility explored and rejected? I remember reading somewhere that Moz froze when RH supplied lyrics to the new music he'd written.

Close, but no cigar. Hawley auditioned as a backing musician for Morrissey's band and when they started "jamming" he took it upon himself to provide backing vocals to an Elvis song

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/archive/index.php/t-76824.html

In the current WORD (see main page, which just about covers Marr's interview, as well as irking him about a reformation), there's a sweet little story about Richard Hawley (whose new single is an absolute belter IMHO), and the time he auditioned for Morrissey's band. In an interview to promote his new album (Lady's Bridge) and single (Tonight The Streets Are Ours), there's this little paragraph:

"From Healey Bottom, the only way was up. But first, a date with Morrissey. In the early years of his solo career, the ex-Smiths singer summoned Richard for an audition - he remembered Hawley's playing on the Treebound Story track Swimming In The Heart Of Jane. Alongside the studio jam, Richard chose to demonstrate his backing-vocal ability with a rendition of Elvis's One Night. 'Morrissey just asked me why I was singing,' says Hawley. 'I don't think he was impressed.'"

Peter

Buckingham palace 1 - Morrissey 0

Its really laughable Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Ho ho hoh oh hoh hoh hoh

Ha h a hah aha a ha ahahah aha

You just make sure nobody does a hoax call to your ward Morrissey eh !!!!

Or your gonna be more f***ed than you already are ! !

PAYBACK YOU WANKER HA !

Zzzzzzz....

Close, but no cigar. Hawley auditioned as a backing musician for Morrissey's band and when they started "jamming" he took it upon himself to provide backing vocals to an Elvis song

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/archive/index.php/t-76824.html

In the current WORD (see main page, which just about covers Marr's interview, as well as irking him about a reformation), there's a sweet little story about Richard Hawley (whose new single is an absolute belter IMHO), and the time he auditioned for Morrissey's band. In an interview to promote his new album (Lady's Bridge) and single (Tonight The Streets Are Ours), there's this little paragraph:

"From Healey Bottom, the only way was up. But first, a date with Morrissey. In the early years of his solo career, the ex-Smiths singer summoned Richard for an audition - he remembered Hawley's playing on the Treebound Story track Swimming In The Heart Of Jane. Alongside the studio jam, Richard chose to demonstrate his backing-vocal ability with a rendition of Elvis's One Night. 'Morrissey just asked me why I was singing,' says Hawley. 'I don't think he was impressed.'"

Peter
Richard Hawley also worked with Lisa Marie Presley and Jarvis Cocker. Although I don't like Jarvis Cocker. I think Richard Hawley is friends with Lisa Marie Presley's husband Michael Lockwood.

Has there been anymore news about Morrissey's health?

Last edited:

Who is KY? If this is Kristeen Young then I think she is just still very young. We all make mistakes when we are young. She maybe doesn't feel that emotionally close to Morrissey. I had this feeling though that she saw Morrissey as a bit of a father figure. Without his support she would be a lot less known. She is a creative person, a creative, sensitive artist and I don't think she is childlike as such just still very young. We don't know what went on in her background when she was growing up. If here biological parents were not around it must of been tough for her. Kristeen Young reminds me a bit of Kate Bush and PJ Harvey. It also has to be said the music industry is a tough industry to be in and people who have good 'working relationships' does not mean they then have good, close personal relationships.

It sound like Kristeen Young has had some depression:

At the outset, Kristeen Young intended the follow-up to her 2009's thunderous "Music for Strippers, Hookers, and the Odd On-Looker" album to be a funk record. Only at the time, she was in a bit of a 'funk' herself. "I was going through a particularly dank depression," she reveals. Mired in the midst of this protracted "blue period," she sought solace through immersion in her favorite movies—and from that escapism sprang new inspiration. "I didn't want to be me, so I decided to use what was killing my time and become other people." Not real people, but her very real-seeming companions at the time: movie characters. Now she had a legit excuse to spend even more time disappearing into the world onscreen. And "disappear" is the right word, as that theme crops up throughout "V The Volcanic"—not just in the sense of getting lost in the alternate realm of movies, but also apropos of how the expanding virtual universe crowds out the "real" world.
She's pushing 40 Tom Tom.

I agree with you about depression it is a very real illness.

I don't like that documentary The Rise & Fall Of The Smiths though because it has Andy Rourke and all that lot just trying to make a fast buck.

A bit unfair. Rourke was actually in the band, and has as much right to turn a penny on that fact as Morrissey or Marr, or even indeed the proven have to have been wronged in a court of law, Joyce himself.

Morrissey trades off the Smiths name every time he goes on stage, while confusingly telling anyone who will listen that he doesn't understand why anyone should care about the most important British band of the last thirty years.

Stop playing Smiths songs then.

A bit unfair. Rourke was actually in the band, and has as much right to turn a penny on that fact as Morrissey or Marr, or even indeed the proven have to have been wronged in a court of law, Joyce himself.

Morrissey trades off the Smiths name every time he goes on stage, while confusingly telling anyone who will listen that he doesn't understand why anyone should care about the most important British band of the last thirty years.

Precise, sir.

Johnny, I'm sorry to have to say this but when you posted that comment above that Morrissey trades off "the Smiths's" name every time he goes on stage, I just really can't stop laughing....

Firstly, Morrissey IS "The Smiths." I mean it was his band and those songs (gems) were his creation. We were all there in the early days. He was there and he crafted those songs alone. On his own. They are his lyrics and they are very special. Those song creations are shared 50/50 with Johnny Marr who wrote all of the the musical arrangements. So, Morrissey has the total and absolute right to play those songs and as many of those songs - as he likes. When he likes. How he likes and how often he likes and with as many musicians as he likes !

Secondly, Morrissey isn't trading off "The Smiths" name at all - ever.
Even if you could even suggest such a thing - which is just mad - for a while, many Morrissey tours contained no Smiths songs at all.
Infact, if i can remember back to nighteen eight hate, when Morrissey rolled off that bus and onto the stage at Wolverhampton. Part of The dead Smiths were there on the stage with him. It was a strange experience. The end of the The Smiths but some of the Smiths on the stage with him, which seemed kinda odd.
Morrissey was a genuius and he just got up on stage and gave the performance of the decade. The Smiths were dead but Morrissey was alive.
If you were there, then you would know the dying embers of The Smiths were felt by everyone there, but Morrissey's new songs were enlightening and very special. It was an amazing resurection for a genuis who is also an amazing singer and our of our biggest ever pop stars. After that show was over, it was actually a very long time before Morrissey played a Smiths songs ever again. I think you know why. It's best to move onto happier times.

love
Strawberry

Tags
illness so on tour
Back
Top Bottom