Morrissey A-Z: "You're the One for Me, Fatty"

BookishBoy

Today's song is this Morrissey/Whyte composition, released as the second single from Your Arsenal, and charting at #19 in the UK.

What do we think? (The second clip is a double-header, with "Fatty" being the second song performed.)

RIP Morag - died young.
The Cathal story and the Mozipedia bits are more interesting than the song itself for me.
Still gets a listen from time to time though.
Regards,
FWD.

It's a cracking composition from Alain which maybe deserved better? But at least they found it funny:

fatty.jpg

"Promise you'll say if I'm ever in your way" is a half-decent joke, to be fair.

The NME criticised this when it was released for sounding like the Jam as if that’s a bad thing. Chiming guitars, Buddy Holly inflected vocals and a decent drum sound all add to the fun.

They weren't bad songs just slightly throwaway with 'Fatty' the weaker of the 2 for me although I enjoy Gary Day's bass in it.
I thought they were the worst 2 songs on 'Your Arsenal' but that was such a brilliant album and they at least sounded like singles.

It's me and him's make-up song.

It might me my least favourite song from the album, but in no way is this song bad. In fact, I adore the melancholy chord progression that seems to politely clash with the frivolous and entertaining lyrics. Yes, they’re thin and possible underdeveloped, but it’s not supposed to be a grand statement on the human condition or whatever. As is, it’s a fun knockabout tune that never gets a skip, and frequently remains in my head afterwards. The hate is unjustified!
8/10

fatty is a great piece of pop,there is nothing serious going on here,bit repetitive for most people i would think.love the video,M had a great look at that time in his career.can you imagine M singing this on top of the pops now he would be hung drawn and quartered and sent to the 4 furthest parts of the uk.
8 hope/10 despair.

An unfairly-maligned song, I think the lyrics are amusing and the melody pretty.

It’s a very likeable song, but I can see why some dislike it as it’s light on lyrics, and has something of a novelty feel, and half of the video just looks tacky and corny, the other half of the video with the gang looking absolutely awesome.
The guitars command the ear to listen and makes up for the Wombles lyrical distraction.
All in all, song and video should have been a lot better.. 6/10

The NME criticised this when it was released for sounding like the Jam as if that’s a bad thing. Chiming guitars, Buddy Holly inflected vocals and a decent drum sound all add to the fun.
Not exactly.

The precise NME quote was that the tune was, "well within the reach of any second rate bar band with too many Jam albums."

I have to say that Morrissey's contribution to this is atrocious and incredibly lazy. I wouldn't have minded him recording a novelty song, but to pen only 34 words and think it was good enough beggared belief.

Little wonder that the critics hated it with the NME describing Morrissey as a one-trick pony ready to, "humiliate itself time and time again."

It says a lot that the very positive Rolling Stone album review didn't even mention any of the U.K. singles. Morrissey is one of the few performers out there who could release a strong album where the singles are the worst songs.

I don't know if this is Morrissey's weakest single, but it's certainly a contender.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 129th from 264 solo songs.

It’s a fun song but also a bit throwaway-y.
One of his very best albums definitely deserved better singles.

had the live version from 95 on when running yesterday and the music is fun but the lyrics just don't do that much for me sadly

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom