Morrissey A-Z: "Wide to Receive"

I have never liked this song. Too slow and boring. As an American, I initially thought it was about being a wide receiver in football.

Really love this song. It's a beauty and so different to the standard post-Vauxhall fare he was churning out in the mid to late 90s. One of four truly great songs on Maladjusted. Wonderful arrangement with the dreamy guitars, the woodwind and some lovely backing vocals presumably courtesy of Mr AG Whyte.
As someone else noted, Nina from the Cardigans singled this out as a favourite at the time or something like 'the song that describes me best'.
As possibly hasn't been noted, this song actually featured on Radio 1's Newsbeat. They humoured Morrissey's technological confusion with the lyrics 'turn on, plug in' which they noted should have been the other way round!

Last edited:
They humoured Morrissey's technological confusion with the lyrics 'turn on, plug in' which they noted should have been the other way round!
Didn't they not realise that the line "turn on, plug in" isn't about technology, it's about sexual intercourse? It's amazing how many people completely missed the sexual innuendo of this song, and just leave it at a basic surface reading, but that often seems to happen with Morrissey.

An enjoyable song that with a bit better production could have been more of a go-to for me. 6.8/10.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom