Morrissey A-Z: "Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself"

I'm with the Flibberty on this one. A cracking piece of music, brilliantly arranged and beautifully sung but the sentiment is simply not relatable so it will never be a favourite of mine. Prob still one of the top 4 songs on Vauxhall, though.

It’s really Lillywhite’s masterpiece as well. Street might have pulled it off, but none of the producer Mozzer’s worked with.
Agreed, a lot of credit needs to go to the production... I'd love to hear the story of how it evolved from the rockier demo version to the much warmer acoustic version that ended up on Vauxhall.

Agreed, a lot of credit needs to go to the production... I'd love to hear the story of how it evolved from the rockier demo version to the much warmer acoustic version that ended up on Vauxhall.
Yes! Too bad Moz didn’t write new liner notes, like he did on SG and Maladjusted.

One of his very best. I disagree with the comments about how the song is not relatable. Yes Morrissey may be writing from the pov of his dealings with the music industry but the words and delivery could apply to any of us in any walk of life. Which is why, along with the music and production, this song is absolutely glorious.
It is made even more glorious by being the opening track on side 2 of the album. Meaning you turn the record/ tape over and are 'hit' with this.
Vauxhall will forever be my favourite Morrissey album, whether solo or with that band he was in.

One of his very best. I disagree with the comments about how the song is not relatable. Yes Morrissey may be writing from the pov of his dealings with the music industry but the words and delivery could apply to any of us in any walk of life.
:thumb:
Which is why, along with the music and production, this song is absolutely glorious.
It is made even more glorious by being the opening track on side 2 of the album. Meaning you turn the record/ tape over and are 'hit' with this.
Vauxhall will forever be my favourite Morrissey album, whether solo or with that band he was in.

:thumb:

Probably changed because the demo sounded too much like The Smiths, that picking style when it first comes in.

I never get tired of this song. “The sanest days are mad” is one of those lovely underline moments in M’s lyrics that I can’t get enough of. I like the accordion version a lot too.

I don't remember who's choice it was to record it more acoustic, and it applies to the whole album, but I will never be grateful enough for that.

Perfection.
Haunting melody and backing vocal.
Morrissey's vulnerability laid as bare as it can be.
10/10

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom