Morrissey A-Z: "Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself"

Even though The Smiths were perfection, I still rank Vauxhall and I higher than any Smiths album.

If Morrissey felt back in 1994 that he had been stabbed in the back so many times, and knowing that not much has changed since then, you got to admire his perseverence and endurance. And then you can also find some strength in the sadness of this song.
I love it

Even though The Smiths were perfection, I still rank Vauxhall and I higher than any Smiths album.
This is because though I wouldn't say The Smiths were a singles band, they never REALLY had a cohesive album. Queen is dead and Strangeways comes close, but Vauxhall is much more an "album" album.

After the absolute f***ing dreck of the past few days, this comes as a gift from above.

“Don't rake up my mistakes, I know exactly what they are"

that’s interesting. I wonder if you would have felt differently if you
saw The Smiths live and bought those records when they were released. Though I must agree, as an album, Vauxhall would be hard for him to beat
I didn’t buy Vauxhall when it was released either (I was nine). Not sure if that is really relevant. If it was, I guess YATQ would be my favorite album. It’s not, even though I love it to bits.

This is because though I wouldn't say The Smiths were a singles band, they never REALLY had a cohesive album. Queen is dead and Strangeways comes close, but Vauxhall is much more an "album" album.
Amen.

I didn’t buy Vauxhall when it was released either (I was nine). Not sure if that is really relevant. If it was, I guess YATQ would be my favorite album. It’s not, even though I love it to bits.

Ah well, there goes that theory :lbf:

but really though, every time a Vauxhall song comes up, I think we should be thanking Lillywhite for working his magic. Imagine if Finn produced it instead. yikes!

I don’t find vauxhall to be his best and find it extreme in its unevenness but this falls for sure, like the others have said, into the column of his best songs. I love the cool airy tones contrasted with the pleading despair of he lyrics and vocal. So many fans hoping he puts out another batch of songs that reveal and revel in his trouble state instead of treating him like a human being. How many of us thought of ourselves when we heard those lines

Beautiful, funny, arch, melancholic...a wonderful, wonderful song which deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as NMHiF, TLM, CBtC and the other incredible songs which sit at the top tier of the Canon. I could listen to this for hours on repeat and never tire.

The electric version is great as well. The live version is a shimmering wonder. Hey, that's a new thread! What songs are better live than recorded...PftLT always stands out for me.

Ah well, there goes that theory :lbf:

but really though, every time a Vauxhall song comes up, I think we should be thanking Lillywhite for working his magic. Imagine if Finn produced it instead. yikes!
It’s really Lillywhite’s masterpiece as well. Street might have pulled it off, but none of the producer Mozzer’s worked with.

The electric version is great as well. The live version is a shimmering wonder. Hey, that's a new thread! What songs are better live than recorded...PftLT always stands out for me.

Right off the top, I'd say everything from the Kill Uncle album that was played live.

It’s really Lillywhite’s masterpiece as well. Street might have pulled it off, but none of the producer Mozzer’s worked with.
Listening to the production on the “Jack The Ripper” B-side do you not think Mick Ronson could have made a similar positive contribution to the follow up to “Your Arsenal “?

Listening to the production on the “Jack The Ripper” B-side do you not think Mick Ronson could have made a similar positive contribution to the follow up to “Your Arsenal “?
It does have some of that atmospheric feel to it, but it’s not as airy, light and loose as V&I, I don’t think.

One of the songs that started my obsession.
One of the few morrissey songs that is better in studio than live.

Not much to add that hasn't already been well expressed. It's simply Morrissey at his best. 10/10

Favorite live memory of this song is when I took my younger sister to her first and only Morrissey concert. More than any other song she wanted to hear WDYFOFY... personally I thought it was doubtful as he hadn't been playing it much around this time. Well, sure enough just a few songs in, they played an amazing version of the song. The look of delight on her face was priceless.

Last edited:
Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom