Morrissey A-Z: "Tomorrow"

BookishBoy

Our song for today is this Morrissey/Whyte composition, the closing track from Your Arsenal. A remixed version was released as a single in the US only.

What do we think?

A song that’s just improved over time. As Arsenal is my favourite Moz album, I adore each and every track off it (yes, even “Fatty”), and this is no exception.
In a way, it throws forward to the more complex song structures of Southpaw Grammar, beginning with the slow glam section, then turning into this joyous indie guitar romp as Moz characteristically moans about his poor legs. The lyrics, while they still could be interpreted as Moz surrendering, asking the object of his affection to just do this one thing, to me seem match the euphoria of the music, and this state is an amazing way to close the album on.
Perhaps my favourite part of the song in the minor key, palm muted section, where everything just gets sucked into this breathtaking whirlpool, with Alain and Boz at the forefront of it.
Finally, we return to the slow glam section before closing with an achingly short, yet no less beautiful, piano section (which I believe is edited out of the US version?).
Overall, it’s a thrilling and underrated (given that it was a single) closer to Moz’s crowning opus.
10/10

Fab song and love the more rock style guitars on this one and the album all together. This song would have made a better single than fatty, but then wouldn’t the first two opening tracks made great singles?

As someone has already said this song seems to get better with age and moz not messing about here as he’s presenting a mature rockier sound

In a way, a weird choice for an album closer, but at the same time not. Never been a huge favorite of mine, but most definitely fun rocker with superb lyrics.

In a way, a weird choice for an album closer, but at the same time not. Never been a huge favorite of mine, but most definitely fun rocker with superb lyrics.
Its Similar to speedway in the sense that it’s a very strong sounding song and both close great albums

great song,M looking fantastic in the video,video is simple but effective.good music good lyrics.today is tomorrow and tomorrow will be another classic.
9 todays/10 tomorrows,

Its Similar to speedway in the sense that it’s a very strong sounding song and both close great albums
Yeah, but Speedway is epic and thus more fitting to close an album. Tomorrow is just a rocker.

I felt rather angry at the time it wasn’t included on BWD. I nearly wrote a letter to the music pages to air my disgruntlement.
I think the melody at the end closes the album off perfectly.

What a time it was, when, at the beginning of 1993, at a record fair in a german provincial town (that the allies actually hadn't forgotten to bomb down), I caught an American dealer (Soldier) who had the purple 12" of Tomorrow with him. Since you didn't always read NME or could afford the Melody Maker, you didn't even know that this was a single somewhere on this planet; and then unreleased tracks: madness. The song is so smooth and so powerful, the video so utterly fantastic, that it has a permanent place deep in my heart and is almost impossible to judge objectively. The new, powerful Morrissey was simply a winner in 1992. On all levels.

What a time it was, when, at the beginning of 1993, at a record fair in a german provincial town (that the allies actually hadn't forgotten to bomb down), I caught an American dealer (Soldier) who had the purple 12" of Tomorrow with him. Since you didn't always read NME or could afford the Melody Maker, you didn't even know that this was a single somewhere on this planet; and then unreleased tracks: madness. The song is so smooth and so powerful, the video so utterly fantastic, that it has a permanent place deep in my heart and is almost impossible to judge objectively. The new, powerful Morrissey was simply a winner in 1992. On all levels.
The video is simple but very effective

After watching the video, I wanted to be part of a gang.
You would have looked fab in the video Frank. You could have had a little Merch stall in one of the side streets , then Moz comes along and kicks the leg of the table and your Merch goes flying everywhere

You would have looked fab in the video Frank. You could have had a little Merch stall in one of the side streets , then Moz comes along and kicks the leg of the table and your Merch goes flying everywhere
The punch line of this story would be, that Morriseey is only doing this because I am very attractive and so there is a certain jealousy. But he is with his gang and so I don't start a scuffle. In 1992 there was also no mobile phone to call @Mozmar (main dealer) or the notorious Carlisle thug for help.

A fine song and it seemed to be well received at the recent shows.

Mick Ronson deserves a lot of credit, as always, and Morrissey is also in fine voice. His vocal melody again really propels the song.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 13th from 264 solo songs.

Great track from a wonderful album, and what a way to close it off.
Terrific thumping drums, great bass, and some lovely guitar work from AW....vocals ain't bad either, Moz! :cool:
'Oh yeah, oh yeah!'
Wunderbar!

The punch line of this story would be, that Morriseey is only doing this because I am very attractive and so there is a certain jealousy. But he is with his gang and so I don't start a scuffle. In 1992 there was also no mobile phone to call @Mozmar (main dealer) or the notorious Carlisle thug for help.
Correct on all accounts

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom