Morrissey A-Z: "To Give (The Reason I Live)" (live cover)

BookishBoy

Today's song is Morrissey's live cover of this Crewe/Gaudio composition, first released by Frankie Valli on his 1968 solo album Timeless. Morrissey performed the song live many times between 2012 and 2014 and it features on the 25 Live DVD release from October 2013.

What do we think of this one?

Very dramatic and heartfelt and one of his better covers, but not something that automatically springs to mind when you fancy a bit of Moz on....
I would list this as one of his better crooning songs

I remember hearing this song at a show I attended and it was a mildly interesting addition to the set list.

I don't particularly enjoy the arrangement, but Morrissey pushes himself vocally. It's also typical of him to choose an obscurity from the Frankie Valli catalogue.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 193rd from 264 solo songs.

Took me 2 listens, but I think Moz nails this big time (although sounds a bit stretched in places), puts his own stamp on it, and surpasses the original. Both have the 'drama' which others mention; maybe a bit OTT, but whatever. Great cover. The first 10 secs kinda remind me of 'I Couldn't Understand Why People Laughed'.

'I was born as a part of the plan
With the heart of a man
With a will to survive'

Indeedy. :thumb:

Great piss break song during the 2015 tour for me. And if he played Meat is Murder before or after, it was great as it meant I could combine it with a trip to the bar!

Shite.

A song that would be more suited to Marc Almond’s repertoire, I think.

Ah, I’ve just seen Phranc has recognised this. Sorry.

A song that would be more suited to Marc Almond’s repertoire, I think.

Ah, I’ve just seen Phranc has recognised this. Sorry.
No problem. I'm certainly no Marc. Almond fan and when I saw him live with Jools Holland in 2018, it wasn't a pleasure at all, but the xxl drama that surrounds the song would suit him perfectly. Especially with the original arrangement. And Morrissey? Yes, he loves that kind of thing and goes all out but it's far from what suits him, imho.

No problem. I'm certainly no Marc. Almond fan and when I saw him live with Jools Holland in 2018, it wasn't a pleasure at all, but the xxl drama that surrounds the song would suit him perfectly. Especially with the original arrangement. And Morrissey? Yes, he loves that kind of thing and goes all out but it's far from what suits him, imho.
It doesn’t even suit Frankie Valli. My guess is that Crewe and Gaudio wrote this with Scott Walker in mind.

I love Moz the Crooner, and I think he nails this one. Very underrated!

Morrissey sings it amazingly well, and I Like the words which suit him and this can’t be said of every cover he does.
But I am only lukewarm about the music. Somehow reminds me of his own Scandinavia.

Last edited:

Today's song is Morrissey's live cover of this Crewe/Gaudio composition, first released by Frankie Valli on his 1968 solo album Timeless. Morrissey performed the song live many times between 2012 and 2014 and it features on the 25 Live DVD release from October 2013.

What do we think of this one?

I remember hearing this song at a show I attended and it was a mildly interesting addition to the set list.

I don't particularly enjoy the arrangement, but Morrissey pushes himself vocally. It's also typical of him to choose an obscurity from the Frankie Valli catalogue.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 193rd from 264 solo songs.

I know it shouldn’t, but it always irks me when Vallie is mentioned rather than Bassey ...,

Shirley this is one of the reasons why he does this song ...

If I remember correctly, he actually included the above in his pre-show videos

And also ....

I believe Everything on this earth Having meaning and worth
Made of concrete and air
Is to share
And to feel

When I go I'll go out empty hand Lending dust to the land Just the soul I have found Leaves the ground

And from Glamorous Glue ....

Everything of worth
on earth
is there
to share

I know
I'll go
empty hand
from the land

To Give is another beautiful song, executed beautifully by him, could have been written for him or with him in mind, another is Nothing Rhymed.

I never knew about this. It's pretty good for most of it though I think the music is a little too loud. 7/10

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom