Morrissey A-Z: "(The) Secret of Music"

I usually agree with you on questions of musical taste, but we are divided here on Bobby Don't You Think They Know. I think Thelma Huston makes the song (I hear belting, not whining). Really the only thing missing is one of those duet music videos where they're facing each other in the vocal booth, making sass gestures and staring each other down as they exchange lines. I think Bobby, not The Secret of Music, is the "interesting musical experiment" and "completely different from everything before." It wasn't among my most-liked on Dog at first. Like a lot of the songs, it was jarring. But it's emerged as one of my favorites. And someone on here found a definition for "white mosquito" in sexual slang that makes it even more gloriously weird.

Bobby is great! You're right about it being an 'interesting experiment'. It's also my favorite on the album.

I love how Morrissey's musical output evolves whenever he feels like it. He's always given us such a mixed bag of diverse songs that defy standard genres.

Someone should do a splice/remix of the opening drum intro of The Operation into the last two minutes of The Secret of Music.

That Operation intro is already super spliced - excellently produced though to create more 'noise'/ambience than to display actual percussion.

Last edited:
I don't think it's that baaaaad

But.

I also quite like Who Will Protect Us from the Police?... so please ignore my opinion
protect isnt as bad as people make out,the heavy synths sound great with a good pair of headphones.

The Dog songs rated 0-10:
1. Jim Jim - 7
2. Love is - 2
3. Bobby - 2
4. Dog - 1
5. People - 6
6. Knockabout - 8
7. Darling - 5
8. River - 9
9. Ruth - 1
10. Secret - 9
11. Hurling - 8

protect isnt as bad as people make out,the heavy synths sound great with a good pair of headphones.
Bless you. You could find something beautiful in a pool of vomit.

I seriously doubt one would write and put out a song like this if relevance was the ultimate goal. This is rather a big F you to the mainstream and those that pine for relevance.

I like it a lot. It's not accessible. But several of M's greatest songs aren't. He's always been equal parts idol, artist and artist's artist. It would have come across more grand if the production were a little quieter and if this record had been released this year, it would have been hailed as a masterpiece.

I am right.

Bobby is a 9. I think the whole record averages an 8 and only because i agree that Ruth is a 1. Like that shit was BAD.
Dear God, if that plodding, meaningless song is a 9, what’s We’ll Let You Know, Such a Little Thing, and Jack the Ripper?

I think this is a good song, always liked it a lot and for me it fits well on the album. Never understood the hate for Bobby, I think it’s an absolutely brilliant song

I think this is a good song, always liked it a lot and for me it fits well on the album. Never understood the hate for Bobby, I think it’s an absolutely brilliant song
Bobby has more supporters than critics . And Just to be clear, for me this song is unlistenable only because of Thelma Houston's vocals. I think the lyrics are quite compelling, the saxophone solo and the organ part are excellent. But Thelma? No thanks . I even kind of got used to Miley in Veronica :ahhh:

Bless you. You could find something beautiful in a pool of vomit.
so only your opion counts,doesnt matter what anyone else thinks,the village is missing an idiot.

so only your opion counts,doesnt matter what anyone else thinks,the village is missing an idiot.
Hey hey hey, slow down, tough guy. I never said your opinion doesn’t count. Of course it does. For you. Just as my opinion does for me. And you’re missing the fact that I complimented you on your ability to constantly find beauty in the awfullest of places. Moz, with Nickelback as his backing band, could murder infants on his next single, and you would probably kind of enjoy it. That type of devotion is rare.

I usually agree with you on questions of musical taste, but we are divided here on Bobby Don't You Think They Know. I think Thelma Huston makes the song (I hear belting, not whining). Really the only thing missing is one of those duet music videos where they're facing each other in the vocal booth, making sass gestures and staring each other down as they exchange lines. I think Bobby, not The Secret of Music, is the "interesting musical experiment" and "completely different from everything before." It wasn't among my most-liked on Dog at first. Like a lot of the songs, it was jarring. But it's emerged as one of my favorites. And someone on here found a definition for "white mosquito" in sexual slang that makes it even more gloriously weird.

my issue with Bobby is that I never want to sit through the entire thing.

The Dog songs rated 0-10:
1. Jim Jim - 7
2. Love is - 2
3. Bobby - 2
4. Dog - 1
5. People - 6
6. Knockabout - 8
7. Darling - 5
8. River - 9
9. Ruth - 1
10. Secret - 9
11. Hurling - 8

I agree with most of this, except I would increase Jim Jim to an 8, Dog to a 7 (what's with the hate on this one? there are some fun parts in it and i like the "like drinking ink" line -- and it's nowhere near as bad as Ruth!), and Darling to a 6.

Bobby is a 9. I think the whole record averages an 8 and only because i agree that Ruth is a 1. Like that shit was BAD.

Ruth is definitely bad. But the title track is far from a 1/10.

I agree with most of this, except I would increase Jim Jim to an 8, Dog to a 7 (what's with the hate on this one? there are some fun parts in it and i like the "like drinking ink" line -- and it's nowhere near as bad as Ruth!), and Darling to a 6.
7 is still solid, though? I’m still on the fence about him urging whoever it is he’s singing to to off him/herself.

Ruth is definitely bad. But the title track is far from a 1/10.
It’s an abomination. No, wait, it’s worse. It’s an annoying abomination. And the lyrics could have been written by Alex Jones.

Last edited:
Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom