Morrissey A-Z: "Something Is Squeezing My Skull"

One of his greatest songs ever.
And the best song on years of Refusal...

Fast, loud and full of life this song always gives me energy... it’s perfect

I love this one!
"I'm doing very well
I can block out the present and the past now"

I love the humor, irony and the truth is these lines, as if that is the goal, to learn how not to deal with things.
And the music is very good, nice melody, nice vocal, a very good Morrissey song that I still consider "recent" although time flies and it's been a while now. Anyway, I'd say this is a strong 7/10, maybe 8?

voice is strong on this very energetic track,some great lines as well.wonder how many takes this took because the last bit would be very hard to do in one take,its like a tongue twister.the greatest tongue twister is KEN DODDS DADS DOGS DEAD,try saying that ten times.
8 motions/10 modern lifes.

Absolutely outstanding song - in my top 10, for sure. Every instrument works in tandem with one another, with enough trust between the band to allow for the intensity in the room to permeate the recording. The lyrics are hilarious and tongue twisting, winding their way around the instrumentation and changing from reassurance in the verses to splenetic rage against prescription drugs in the chorus. The bridge, in which Moz lists a ton of such medicines, sounds so obvious when sung, makes you wonder why you would never have thought of it before.
In short, with Jerry Finn’s sparkly production, it’s showstopping.
10/10

An entertaining way to start the album.

I can't say that it's a personal favourite, but I can understand why it is so popular and there is a lot of life to the production and performance.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 31st from 264 solo songs.

This highly enjoyable raucous number is one of Morrissey’s last truly great singles – as freshly energetic in 2021 as it was in 2009. The thoroughly quotable and addictive lyrics engage at every frenetic twist – all burns fast and bright and crashes out spectacularly around the 2 ½ minute mark. Love it!

This, along with Carol and Birthday, makes the otherwise pedestrian Refusal album worth buying. However, I always thought Skull sounded a mess when I first heard it live, and I was astonished at how great the recorded version turned out to be: Quite a demanding vocal, to do well every night, I’d imagine.

Fantastic way to start the album; so much energy & drive in this one. Love the pounding drumming from Matt W on this. Moz provides great voice, & some great lyrics, some of which are funny, cutting, blunt, and there's also some innuendo in there for good measure. It also includes a shopping list of prescription drugs for your next visit to the pharmacy - who else could write a song which provides that?
'I'm doing very well
It's a miracle I even made it this far'

Miraculous Moz indeed.
'Thank you, drop dead!'

Absolutely wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this song very much but I don't know why given that it's yet another assembly line chugrock work of abject mediocrity from Alain Why.

I think it's probably of the strained 'I know by now you think I should have straightened myself out...' line, which is masterfully written and delivered.

It is certainly one of his very best loud, fast rock songs. A lot of that is due to the brilliant vocals, catchy vocal melody, lively and energetic delivery, and it has some memorable sentences too. I also find it a liberating song, like it is time to throw out the prescription drugs and just start living. A strong statement coming from Morrissey.

I like this song very much but I don't know why given that it's yet another assembly line chugrock work of abject mediocrity from Alain Why.
Maybe the relentless power of M’s voice ?
I think it's probably of the strained 'I know by now you think I should have straightened myself out...' line, which is masterfully written and delivered.
Yes, that’s brilliant

Moz goes punk, almost á la the Ramones - and he does it quite well indeed. Sharp lyrics about prescription pill hell!

An absolutely brilliant lyric full of wit, drama ("there's no love in modern life"), tragedy and strange poeticism ("the motion of taxis excite me, when you peel it back and bite me"). It' hard to believe that all this fits into just 160 seconds.

Musically it brings to my mind “Billy Budd” but without the finesse of the same. Lyrically it’s very Morrissey, which isn’t a criticism.

Really catchy song and a few good lines. Some doctors love to put people on meds, I speak from personal experience. Getting help with mental health is way more of a battle.

An absolutely brilliant lyric full of wit, drama ("there's no love in modern life"), tragedy and strange poeticism ("the motion of taxis excite me, when you peel it back and bite me"). It' hard to believe that all this fits into just 160 seconds.
Is that line about getting a bl*wjob in a cab?

Think Morrissey predicted the rise of FakeTaxi with this one...

One of his better 21st Century songs

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom