Morrissey A-Z: "Lost"

BookishBoy

Our song for today is this Morrissey/Cobrin composition, originally a B-side on the "Roy's Keen" single and then included on the Maladjusted album reissue several years later.

What do we think of this one?

Absolutely gorgeous. Could very well be among his top 10 b-sides. The “so if I see you...” part always breaks my heart.

While I, seemingly unlike many, don’t have much love for the Maladjusted crop of songs - outside of a select handful - this song is probably my favourite. Beautifully paced without feeling sluggish; arranged beautifully, with the production helping the keys and other instruments to flow into a melancholy haze; and great lyrics, with a good hook. To be honest, I hadn’t really listened to this song until a few months ago. I’m definitely glad I did.
Oh, also, very excited for the NEW ALBUM!!
9/10

One of those relatively rare Morrissey songs, for me, where the music itself is so gorgeous (hat-tip to Spencer Cobrin) that Morrissey himself really doesn't have to do much to elevate the song - but he still does, his voice is so dreamy here.

And re the NEW ALBUM am I the only person now worried about the lack of any songs beginning with the letter L? It's his strongest letter! (So far...)

A very strong b-side and it's a shame that both this and The Edges are No Longer Parallel came too late to make it onto Maladjusted. They would have improved the album immeasurably.

Certainly Spencer's finest moment, and listening to this one takes me back to the autumn of 1997. There was nothing less fashionable than being a Morrissey fan back then (a comment that would be even truer today), but there were still some highlights here and there.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 32nd from 264 solo songs.

deserves its high placing in the poll.great song,great music.VIVAMOZZ ON A BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY.
9/losts/10 losts.

I am definitely one of those who think Maladjusted is one of his most coherent solo records. Yes, it was hopelessly old-fashioned to listen to and celebrate Morrissey in the late summer of 1997. Look at his outfit at the TV appearances. Hopelessly and at the same time stunningly anachronistic and then all those bittersweet Maladjusted melodies, of which "Lost" stands out again in the aftermath. It's B-sides were still as safe as the Bank of England in 1997 and others would have paid money to release this tune as an A-side. And boy, did I look for "Jet trails in the sky" in October 1997. Nothing but love for the class of 97.

Adjectives like gorgeous, epic, melancholic, dreamy, soothing capture the feeling of the song well.
It was my song to turn to in the last 15 months or so, my lockdown song relatively unknown to the broader public. Each time I listened to it, I felt like being wrapped up in a warm blanket, reconnecting with the essential things of life: great music and a beautiful singing voice. I always loved this song and I love it even more now, in my top 10 of all time solo favorites.

Last edited:
Great one for sure

But it’s difficult to keep enough attention on it when in the back of my mind is now the thought of all these new songs to hear !

So excited for the coming Bonfire !!!

VIVA MOZ !!!

:thumb:

Always thought this one was a little corny, but I do like it. Certainly deserved to be on the album. It’s a shame that Morrissey and Spencer’s creative partnership ended so unceremoniously, it would’ve been interesting to see what else they were capable of writing together.

An absolute beauty, as others have noted. Would love to hear it done with a proper string section. Love the way he enunciates the 't' in 'Don't make fun of me later' - most others would pronounce it 'layda' - yuck! It takes strength and authenticity to pronounce words in your natural accent as a singer - one of Morrissey's overlooked qualities.
Spencer co-wrote three songs with Morrissey - two were wonderful (this and Wide to Receive), the other was a bit dull (Now I am a was) but two out of three ain't a bad strike rate.

An absolute beauty, as others have noted. Would love to hear it done with a proper string section. Love the way he enunciates the 't' in 'Don't make fun of me later' - most others would pronounce it 'layda' - yuck! It takes strength and authenticity to pronounce words in your natural accent as a singer - one of Morrissey's overlooked qualities.
Spencer co-wrote three songs with Morrissey - two were wonderful (this and Wide to Receive), the other was a bit dull (Now I am a was) but two out of three ain't a bad strike rate.
Four songs -- don't forget the original version of "It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small."

One of those relatively rare Morrissey songs, for me, where the music itself is so gorgeous (hat-tip to Spencer Cobrin) that Morrissey himself really doesn't have to do much to elevate the song - but he still does, his voice is so dreamy here.

And re the NEW ALBUM am I the only person now worried about the lack of any songs beginning with the letter L? It's his strongest letter! (So far...)

I agree with this post mostly. I thought the letter I wasn’t to bad (I feel like I’m reviewing sesame street a bit)

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom