Morrissey A-Z: "Let the Right One Slip In"

BookishBoy

Our song for today is this Morrissey/Whyte/Day composition. Originally included on the B-side of the US-only "Tomorrow" single, a longer version (the second clip above) then featured on the reissue of Bona Drag.

What do we think of this one?

I think the first minute is quite good and then it seems to lose its way and never fully recover.

Last edited:
its catchy and a very decent pop song.with a running time of 2.25 it doesnt outstay its welcome so there cant be any complaints on that front.
7 right/10 ones.

I think "workmanlike" is the word that I would use to describe this track.

The music sounds like a million other songs and, while it's perfectly amiable, there's nothing particularly exciting or energizing about it.

It is lyrically quite sparse and doesn't sound too inspired.

It was slightly odd that I think it went unreleased in the U.K. for quite a few years.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 167th from 264 solo songs.

A pretty good tune. Typical "Your Arsenal" sound. In 1992, I couldn't understand, why it was buried on an Australian flipside. It has that gang vibe from the early band period 91/92, which is generally a good thing. It wasn't about Sex, was it?

It was pretty good live. Once in 1992 as the final song and twice in 2015, that’s it.

It was pretty good live. Once in 1992 as the final song and twice in 2015, that’s it.

Awesome, that's just made me fall in love with it again! Love his little hand gestures with "slip in", too.

It's a cracking little B-side to sing along to.

Enjoy this one.
Something with an actual credit to Gary too.
Lindqvist being a fan of it / Morrissey (given the subject matter) always makes me chuckle when re-reading.
Regards,
FWD.

51KRXcjpWJL._AC_SY1000_.jpg91k+0cXtqOL.jpg

Fun little rocker. No more, no less. And that’s okay.

The short version has a Ramones vibe to it: energetic and short as it should be. And good fun live too.
Forget the long mix though, what the hell was it doing on Bona Drag of all places?

Thinking about those condoms males me realise Moz has missed a lot of similarly themed merchandising opportunities. How about 'Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference' budgie smugglers, Wide to Receive' branded lubricant or 'Little Man, What Now?' willy warmers - the list is endless.

Iirc I first heard this on a coach from Preston to Alexandra Palace on 19/12/1992. Bought the “Tomorrow” 12” single in Hull the following year. The introduction sounds like the last few seconds of the Beatles “A Hard Day’s Night”.

First time I heard it and played was 92 Roseland NYC

A great rocker live, surprised he didn’t slip it in more.

I believe it was this show (which makes sense)where he wrote the words ‘slip in’ on his chest, can’t remember exactly. Anyone?

Thinking about those condoms males me realise Moz has missed a lot of similarly themed merchandising opportunities. How about 'Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference' budgie smugglers, Wide to Receive' branded lubricant or 'Little Man, What Now?' willy warmers - the list is endless.
I guess "Pregnant for the Last Time" condoms might not sell so well.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom