Morrissey A-Z: "I Thought You Were Dead"

BookishBoy

We kick off the week with this song, the B-side of the "Lover-To-Be" Record Store Day single from 2019. (It's not, obviously, part of California Son, as per the Morrissey YouTube channel linked to above.)

Anyway: what do we think of this one?

Clearly inspired by the recording session's location at the time - probably after letting a screaming Jesse out of the cellar. The band were on the wine most nights and were pictured arm in arm walking about - may have contributed to the sound.
Not sure why it got a digital release given it was meant to be a RSD vinyl exclusive ((edit) and Brow... remained exclusively non-digital for ages despite being readily available on vinyl).
That said, I like the whole sound of it. Always like hearing strings and the gypsy-esque tone was a relatively different turn from the band.
Often gets played.
Regards,
FWD.

Far better than its flip side (Lover to Be)
The best thing about LTB is the lovely red vinyl.
The best thing about ITYWD is the song itself.

Good song that doesn’t really fit into any Morrissey era. The instrumentation is interesting and I love the singing in the breakdown sections. Some effortlessly comedic lyrics, too, not to mention some poor grammar!
7/10

A fascinating song. The lyrics are outrageously acerbic (albeit playful) but he sounds so relaxed and nonchalant.
The instrumentation is very interesting and feels like a prelude to the variety of I Am Not A Dog On A Chain. Very different in its lighthearted playfulness compared to a lot of stuff on Low In High School.
I also like the way the vocals are very central in the mix, it struck me as rather unusual for a Morrissey production when I first noticed it. It really gives every instrument its due space.
It's interesting to pair this with Lover-to-be, another song that sounds like they were trying out different musical styles at the time.

I don't listen to this too often, because it can feel rather overwhelming, but when I do, I enjoy it. This could have been the a-side of the single.

PS. Does anyone get what is being said in the recitation part? I only get parts of it.

Last edited:
I truly love it. It's among my favourites.
Having said such thing, am I the only one who thinks that it sounds a bit strange?
I am not an expert when it comes to sond engineering, but it has the sound of a demo or a low quality recording of an otherwise great song.

I love this one, such a good surprise when we first heard it! Just the ramshackle, rollicking, playful energy of the thing reminds me a bit of "Shakespeare's Sister".

A fascinating song. The lyrics are outrageously acerbic (albeit playful) but he sounds so relaxed and nonchalant.
The instrumentation is very interesting and feels like a prelude to the variety of I Am Not A Dog On A Chain. Very different in its lighthearted playfulness compared to a lot of stuff on Low In High School.
I also like the way the vocals are very central in the mix, it struck me as rather unusual for a Morrissey production when I first noticed it. It really gives every instrument its due space.
It's interesting to pair this with Lover-to-be, another song that sounds like they were trying out different musical styles at the time.

I don't listen to this too often, because it can feel rather overwhelming, but when I do, I enjoy it. This could have been the a-side of the single.

PS. Did anyone get what is being said in the recitation part? In only get parts of it.

I think it's something like:

It was so or not so
One me & one you
Sea green & sky blue
It was so or not so.

Two heads don't think
They can do (you pride??????)
No wonder there's tears,
In her eyes.

Oddly interesting, could have been recorded just after Kill Uncle during the “rockabilly” EP that was never released.

Fun and inspired little ditty. The bunch of songs released between LIHS and Dog are all very likable.

One of my favs in a while as I play it all the time along with brow of my beloved. The closest morrissey will get to a Patrick wolf like song with its gypsy overtones. Musics almost competing with morrissey here for focus but when it’s this much fun that’s ok

I think it's something like:

It was so or not so
One me & one you
Sea green & sky blue
It was so or not so.

Two heads don't think
They can do (you pride??????)
No wonder there's tears,
In her eyes.
Is it more like:

To have had something
That you didn't prize
No wonder there's tears
In your eyes

Yes, truly inspiring little song, definitely one of my fave Moz-jams of the past 5 or 10 years.
Excellent.

Is it more like:

To have had something
That you didn't prize
No wonder there's tears
In your eyes

Yes, that's possible! I swithered on prize.

Edit: Listened again.

I think you're right!!

Although I think he is saying her??

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom