Morrissey A-Z: "I Like You"

BookishBoy

Our song for today is this Morrissey/Boorer composition from the You Are the Quarry album.

What do we think of this one?

This is a great example, for me, of Morrissey's ability to elevate a piece of perfectly normal chug-rock into something so much more than that.

Yes, it's the lyrics (aside from the total cringe of the "magistrates..." part) but it's the vocal melody especially as the song gets closer to the end. I genuinely get goosebumps from that part - "You're not right in the head, and nor am I, and this is why..." - it's just brilliant pop music. In another world this would have been a Top 5 single and Morrissey would be headlining big festivals and there would be crowds of 100,000 people singing along to that bit: a joyous anthem for all of us messed up, wonderful people.

This song could have easily fallen into normal Whyte-rock patterns - and does in places - but thanks to Jerry Finn's excellent production and the addition of small details, such as the acid house 303 synth, it elevates it slightly towards a higher plane. Moz's vocals are typical of the era, and the lyrics are a knotty tangle of liking and not liking as well as a healthy dose of empathy, too. A more recent discovery, this song. While I don't think it's up there with Quarry's best (an album I consider to be quite overrated), it's still a solid tune, nonetheless.
6.5/10

The "envy makes them cry" part elevates this one. I like the guitar tones and the drums. I like the part about "forces of containment." I think this is a really good one. I feel like there is some kind of reevaluation of Quarry by lots of people who somehow seem to like it less now than at the time of its release, but that hasn't happened for me. I thought it was a great collection at the time and I still like every song.
Overall I'd give this one an 8 just because you can't give them all 9's and 10's.

This is a great example, for me, of Morrissey's ability to elevate a piece of perfectly normal chug-rock into something so much more than that.

Yes, it's the lyrics (aside from the total cringe of the "magistrates..." part) but it's the vocal melody especially as the song gets closer to the end. I genuinely get goosebumps from that part - "You're not right in the head, and nor am I, and this is why..." - it's just brilliant pop music. In another world this would have been a Top 5 single and Morrissey would be headlining big festivals and there would be crowds of 100,000 people singing along to that bit: a joyous anthem for all of us messed up, wonderful people.

“In another world this would have been a Top 5 single and Morrissey would be headlining big festivals and there would be crowds of 100,000 people singing along to that bit:”

what world would that be?
as in the real world..... and probably the next world, that wasn’t ever going to happen.

Its a good song, but not great.
As someone above says “from an overrated album”!!!

another song which was slowed down for the album compared to the 2002 tour,still a good song.
8likes/10youse.

Last edited:
I think it's quite funny to go the the effort of writing a song with the rather underwhelming sentiment of telling someone you like them rather than telling them you love them. Only Morrissey could do that.

I think it's quite funny to go the the effort of writing a song with the rather underwhelming sentiment of telling someone you like them rather than telling them you love them. Only Morrissey could do that.
Imagine if other famous songs had the word "like" instead of "love" in the title...

I Will Always Like You
Only Like Can Break Your Heart
Pride (In the Name of Like)

Imagine if other famous songs had the word "like" instead of "love" in the title...

I Will Always Like You
Dude, you're confusing verbs with nouns.

I Will Always Like You
Can you imagine falling head over heals for someone and asking them to listen to a song you'd concocted for them on your 4 track recorder. The anticipation of the recipient. Only to stick it on in the confines of their room and hear 'I like you. You're not right in the head'

This song could have easily fallen into normal Whyte-rock patterns - and does in places - but thanks to Jerry Finn's excellent production and the addition of small details, such as the acid house 303 synth, it elevates it slightly towards a higher plane. Moz's vocals are typical of the era, and the lyrics are a knotty tangle of liking and not liking as well as a healthy dose of empathy, too. A more recent discovery, this song. While I don't think it's up there with Quarry's best (an album I consider to be quite overrated), it's still a solid tune, nonetheless.
6.5/10
Dude, this was a boorer song not whyte. Hard to believe that after a 7 year gap, music as plain, plodding and uninspired as this was considered good enough to make the album. Dismal.

6.5/10
Or Boorer-rock patterns in this case...

I remember when Simon Goddard previewed the album prior to release he singled this song out as being an example of Jerry Finn improving on the live version. I concur, and the production does its best to add some life to this rather ordinary composition. Again, I think you can hear why he worked on plenty of hit records as, despite not being a single, it has a very commercial feel.

Morrissey's vocal melodies are also crucial and the sound of the song is as much about those and the production, as it is about Boz's contributions.

The lyrics aren't perfect, but again it's nice to hear Morrissey being positive and celebrating his outsiderdom.

It's interesting that Robbie Williams wanted to sing this as a duet at the BRIT Awards...

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 186th from 264 solo songs.

The hit that never was. The hit that should have been. How it was never released as a single is unfathomable. Despite never being among Quarry's greatest, it's still a song I've always...liked and always enjoyed hearing.

I like you because you're not right in the head & nor am I is fabulous!

It's why I love him. 💕

My main issue with the studio version is that it fades out too soon. As soon as Moz starts singing the variations at the end it cuts out, and that's the best section of the song. Would rather listen to the Live At Earls Court version.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom