Morrissey A-Z: "I Knew I Was Next"

That's part of the humour of the song though. I don't think he ever really accepts it. But when he's happy he likes to pretend he does.

The opening lines are pure snarkiness

So what do you think I am?
And how precisely could you tell?

Ach, I know. I just wish he'd fight a wee bit harder when his name is getting overwhelmed with guff.

My theory about Morrissey being excluded from Britpop's FLAGS era isn't because he was the dark side of the Union Jack, but because he reminded them that the dark side existed & they wanted to 'ironically' :paranoid: have a good time with birds, booze & lads after the fun of the 1990 World Cup.

In evidence - En-ger-land !!! :

compared to 'how sad are we':

As with late Quarry B-sides, the material began to weaken. Not a song I want to hear live. Morrissey sees it differently and plays it to excess. The production, drumming and vocal melody are not attractive or appealing to me.

As with late Quarry B-sides, the material began to weaken. Not a song I want to hear live. Morrissey sees it differently and plays it to excess. The production, drumming and vocal melody are not attractive or appealing to me.

It's never been played live so far.

It's "If you don't like me, then don't look at me" , another ROTT era B-side, that he's been playing to death recently.

It's "If you don't like me, then don't look at me" , another ROTT era B-side, that he's been playing to death recently.

And Ganglord as well.

Listening to his solo tracks at random, like this, brings home to me how varied and experimental the music's been over the years. I love The Smiths, of course. They can't be replaced. But it was a limited palate of instruments and it perhaps was right that they stopped when they did because people may have become weary of the jangling guitars. The quality of the solo music could be questioned on occasion, but I find it quirky and awkward in a good way, in the true spirit of early 80s indie. And Morrissey's voice always knits everything together nicely.

There's certainly much more variation in Morrissey's music than he's ever been given credit for. Going through his entire catalogue in this alphabetical order also made me more aware of thematic shifts between albums next to some recurring themes. Some albums, like ROTT and V&I and VH, really capture him in a particular phase of his life, while some others reflect his obsessions of a particular moment, like Southpaw and LIHS. His voice and singing style have also evolved over time. That's more than enough for a fascinating, bumpy ride.

You are both right. I was wrong. Shows how much those b-sides sounded similiar to my ears, somehow. Anyway, not my cup of tea. Both of them.

The second worst Moz song of all time only behind the unassailably poor 'Noise Is The Best Revenge'

Uninspired filler. Not even good enough to be considered average.

Sorry, but this is just bullshit, to be honest. If it was Justin Bieber og Rihanna singing, this would have surely been a #1 hit

And you really don't think this is better than e.g. The Kid's a Looker or The Truth About Ruth? Wake up, I think I must say.

The second worst Moz song of all time only behind the unassailably poor 'Noise Is The Best Revenge'

Uninspired filler. Not even good enough to be considered average.
I am appalled by this. Incomprehensible to the point that it almost gives me a brain hemorrhage just trying to understand.

Sorry, but this is just bullshit, to be honest. If it was Justin Bieber og Rihanna singing, this would have surely been a #1 hit

And you really don't think this is better than e.g. The Kid's a Looker or The Truth About Ruth? Wake up, I think I must say.
Rhianna singing 'I Knew I Was Next...and I didn't mind' ? Now that's bullshit.

Wake up? Why? Because my opinion differs from yours or that you can't handle an opinion different to yours?

The song is insipid crap, musically barren and melodically mediocre.

The Truth About Ruth is also crap. He's produced a large volume of it in recent years.

Then you can't have much of a brain. Imagine if it had to handle objectivity.
Now, now. My brain is good enough, I should think. Let’s not quarrel. I offended your taste and I am sorry.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
The exact reason this is my sig is because it speaks to the futility of trying to assert what constitutes 'best' & 'worst' when it comes to art.
FWD.

Pleased to see this get at least some love. Its a 10 out of 10 for me, one of his best songs. Great lyrics and vocal performance, with notes all over the place, and an intriguing slightly dark musical backing. Some supremely catchy moments as well, the final lines stick in my head like glue. This track would have been at home on the Boxers ep.

A fine song that i dont mind at all when played but rarely would I ever play it solely for itself

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom