Morrissey A-Z: "I Am Veronica"

No..."I'm Not A Man" would be the one! A lot to choose from though from his latter days...better yet, "Wedding Bell Blues!" That's the ticket!
And you'll find a lot of people love all of those supposed awful songs so there's a balance there to consider. I for one can't stand Art Hounds but apparently it's one of his best songs so go figure. On the flip side, I love Kick the Bride... and nobody else does ;)

And you'll find a lot of people love all of those supposed awful songs so there's a balance there to consider. I for one can't stand Art Hounds but apparently it's one of his best songs so go figure. On the flip side, I love Kick the Bride... and nobody else does ;)
i think kick the bride is hilarious. not exactly music to blast while driving in your car though. id chose the bullfighter dies for that.

Veronica:

More specifically Veil of Veronica
The story of the image's origin is related to the sixth Station of the Cross, wherein Saint Veronica, encountering Jesus along the Via Dolorosa to Calvary, wipes the blood and sweat from his face with her veil. According to some versions, St. Veronica later traveled to Rome to present the cloth to the Roman Emperor Tiberius. The veil has been said to quench thirst, cure blindness, and even raise the dead.

Veronica: A maneuver in bullfighting in which the matador stands with both feet fixed in position and swings the cape slowly away from the charging bull. [Spanish, from veronica, the veronica(from the gesture Saint Veronica made), from Medieval Latin;

After some perplexity, my best guess is I Am Veronica is a response to Elvis Costello's very famous song, Veronica.
In this YouTube version, Elvis explains in the intro it's about his grandmother who had dementia. I did not know what this song was about until now -

Play both side by side and it seems to me there's a musical similarity. And these words:
"And all the time she laughs at those
Who shout her name and steal her clothes."

They seem to somewhat fit how Morrissey might experience shows at times?!

Morrissey's done this type of thing before with When Last I Spoke To Carol; scroll down here for details -

What also backs up this suspicion is other similar themes on the album, especially the song I Live In Oblivion but others too, My Hurling Days are Gone... Ageing and universal fears that go with that, with his mother passing, not easily, not long ago and so on. The song grows on me. Brave, unusual, saying something to me about my life. Even if I'm wrong! And after learning the picture circulating is a fancy but not authentic mock-up, over to you : )

Last edited:
Where’s Veronica?

Any sign of her on the horizon?

Can someone make sense of Morrissey’s talk of a new single?

Will there be a single if and only if an album is pencilled in?

I keep pressing the top bell, but no one is answering.

Where’s Veronica?

Any sign of her on the horizon?

Can someone make sense of Morrissey’s talk of a new single?

Will there be a single if and only if an album is pencilled in?

I keep pressing the top bell, but no one is answering.

No, can't really make sense of it. That's been the question since he first mentioned Veronica being the next single back in May.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom