Morrissey A-Z: "I Am Veronica"

I saw him perform this at cruel world in Pasadena on Sunday 5-15 and it was great live. He was in great form.

I saw him perform this at cruel world in Pasadena on Sunday 5-15 and it was great live. He was in great form.
That seems to be the general consensus off this forum, people posting in other places have much more positive things to say than the people here did about Cruel World. I am glad you had such a good time, thanks for your thoughts. I can't wait to hear the single.

The version played most recently had Miley on backup vocals piped in, which has to be one of the oddest combinations that Morrissey's ever been involved in.

The version played most recently had Miley on backup vocals piped in, which has to be one of the oddest combinations that Morrissey's ever been involved in.

don’t know. Think his collaboration with A$AP Rocky may be ‘oddest’, if we ever get to hear it.

The more I listen the more I like it! I feel the Bonfire album will be brilliant. I'm ready to love it. I have better vibes than I had before Dog.

I figured this one would be a dud when Sam was hyping it up as better than "This Charming Man."
I wouldn't call it a dud, but Sam certainly oversold it. I just re-read that interview, and he called 'Veronica' better than 'The First of the Gang to Die' and 'This Charming Man', which is slightly over-egging the pudding.

Been listenin' to that 1st night live version,
and it's got some great sections to it.
- the catchy chorus section
- the ringin' the bell section
- the Dolphins and Owls section
- the "I also play harmonica" section
- the outro of exuberant exaltation section
yes, the dolphins part is absolutelutely fantastic...as catchy as the tombs are full of fools part in I wish you lonely.
the song is a succession of pre-choruses, choruses and post-choruses.with verses that are chorus-like...and by the way there are TWO different
choruses

yes, the dolphins part is absolutelutely fantastic...as catchy as the tombs are full of fools part in I wish you lonely.
the song is a succession of pre-choruses, choruses and post-choruses.with verses that are chorus-like...and by the way there are TWO different
choruses
This is very cool and innovative. Thanks for pointing it out. I think this could be the first time in the history of music that somebody has done this. It's sad that, once again, the world won't listen.

choruses

Moz said somethin' one time, about how he wants to make
songs that have all choruses/ hooks in them.
Yep, he wants everything catchy.

My real feelings about this song would sound like Uncleskinny without the thesaurus, but I'm trying to play nice.

You're worrying me, Football Club.

All right. I'll say it then:

I asked the World if there was any need to release this and the World said "absolutely not."

I’ve finally reached my verdict. This song is hugely underwhelming. The vocal melody just isn’t there (he just plainly recites the lyrics in sort of a singsongy way) and the lyrics say nothing. It’s just boring. That said, I’d rather have this one than WPINOYB, STDIB or Bobby, any day any day any day. But to to compare it to This Charming Man is just offensive.

Last edited:
I’ve finally reached my verdict. This song is hugely underwhelming. The vocal melody just isn’t there (he just plainly recites the lyrics in sort of a singsongy way) and the lyrics say nothing. It’s just boring. That said, I’d rather have this one than WPINOYB, STDIB or Bobby, any day any day any day. But to to compare it to This Charming Man is just offensive.
I'm offended that you're offended that it should not be compared to This Charming Man.

Now your turn.

I'm offended that you're offended that it should not be compared to This Charming Man.

Now your turn.
I just can’t.

this is a stupid f***ing song. if i were riding in a car and someone turned this up full blast so that pedestrians and people in other cars could hear, i would be SO embarrassed.

this is a stupid f***ing song. if i were riding in a car and someone turned this up full blast so that pedestrians and people in other cars could hear, i would be SO embarrassed.
No, that song would be People Are The Same Everywhere.

For me, it would be Bobby . Not that I'd be embarrassed but I'd feel like Michael Douglas in the opening scene in The Falling Down movie :swear

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom