Morrissey A-Z: "I Am Veronica"

The voice is great as usual, but the lyrics say nothing to me about my life. As they haven't for a while. It is what it is.

Edit: to be fair, the lyrics to "First of the Gang to Die" didn't speak to me either, but I was taken by the energy and the momentum of Morrissey's "comeback" at the time and so it was easy enough to enjoy it as a catchy, throwaway single. There were then plenty of superior tracks on Quarry that I connected with more deeply afterwards. I hope the same for Bonfire.
maybe its your life thats changed and not M s lyrics,as for the song,being catchy these days is the be all and end all as far as radio goes.im all for the voice and the voice on the studio version might change any doubters minds.

Been listenin' to that 1st night live version,
and it's got some great sections to it.
- the catchy chorus section
- the ringin' the bell section
- the Dolphins and Owls section
- the "I also play harmonica" section
- the outro of exuberant exaltation section

It sort of gives me People are the Same/Action is my Middle Name era vibes. I don't really enjoy it when I listen to it, but then I find myself singing it to myself later on. So, maybe its a grower, but definitely nothing astounding.

Dear friends, you are never happy. This is a light, simple, catchy song just like many throughout his entire career. The kind of song you may find even in his best albums. Not a masterpiece, not bad, but pleasant. I find the drummer great! I hope drums will be better in Bonfire, since I don't like them at all in Dog.

Dear friends, you are never happy. This is a light, simple, catchy song just like many throughout his entire career. The kind of song you may find even in his best albums. Not a masterpiece, not bad, but pleasant. I find the drummer great! I hope drums will be better in Bonfire, since I don't like them at all in Dog.
It's been stuck in my head all morning. I don't mind.

The way he sings the line "press your finger on the top bell" sounds almost identical to "gaze with fondness on the wrong one" from Love Is On Its Way Out.

maybe its your life thats changed and not M s lyrics,as for the song,being catchy these days is the be all and end all as far as radio goes.im all for the voice and the voice on the studio version might change any doubters minds.
I don't think it's either/or. My life has changed, but Morrissey's writing style has as well. Much more economonical, less personal.

I don't know if he's even capable of writing like he used to. He's peaked. But I remain because I love his voice and sometimes the lyrics are interesting.
Has he really peaked ????
Dog was musically very unlike anything else....
At least 3-4 songs on that album
That was lyrically a vast change...
Like Bobby.

What kind of people.
Jim Jim falls .
Once I saw....
All morrissey staples but an improvement...

Ruth
Secret of music
Hurling days .... Nah

Has he really peaked ????
Dog was musically very unlike anything else....
At least 3-4 songs on that album
That was lyrically a vast change...
Like Bobby.

What kind of people.
Jim Jim falls .
Once I saw....
All morrissey staples but an improvement...

Ruth
Secret of music
Hurling days .... Nah
I liked that album but I don't think the lyrics are as clever as they used to be.

I liked that album but I don't think the lyrics are as clever as they used to be.
Bobby blew my mind....
to know all the drug references of the day, and to sing it with Thelma
Was a master stroke.
Musically just shows how diverse
Mozz can be. Granted Bobby is not a fave amongst all on solo.
The secret of music is , well 😖😖

Maybe he's trying not to repeat himself.
This has nothing to do with this song in particular, which I like a lot, but it is true that he is not trying enough then: he too often repeats the same words within a song. Love is on its way out is one of his very worst songs for this reason. It could have been a classic had he just added two or three clever observations and changed a word here and there. As they are the lyrics are just unbearable to listen to.

The hook and the catchiness of a single have always been important. You seem upset that people are saying they don't really connect with this song and ask why they didn't say so immediately but do you really want that? If people enjoy it that's great and trying to take away a person's enjoyment is not cool. But this thread is part of a series where people judge the individual songs.
You also have Sam trying to say this is an instant classic, so it's not all bad news!

My real feelings about this song would sound like Uncleskinny without the thesaurus, but I'm trying to play nice. Don't panic (no pun intended) if we aren't all in love with this one. Still looking forward to the record. The last one was great in my opinion and it turns out that we didn't all have the same favorite songs which is a good sign.

This has nothing to do with this song in particular, which I like a lot, but it is true that he is not trying enough then: he too often repeats the same words within a song. Love is on its way out is one of his very worst songs for this reason. It could have been a classic had he just added two or three clever observations and changed a word here and there. As they are the lyrics are just unbearable to listen to.
I think "Love Is On Its Way Out" is a really good one. I understand what you're saying about laziness of the lyrics, but I can also see how that could be intentional. The song breaks towards the end and rises to a new level with the "but before you go" part. It's almost like we're being set up for that with the repetition.
Of course anything can be rationalized but the contrast is real and I think it makes the song stronger.

Fake C .... crash into my arms .....

Since your buddy has been
Entangled to death in a monster
Machinery fatal accident 😁😁

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom