Morrissey A-Z: "I Am Veronica"

The more i listen to it, the more i love it. Guitar play is excellent on this one. Looking forward to its release.
It’s so catchy.....I love it/ then I think is mediocre....
I’m just so confused with it all now.

Third listen, still meh. Would you all still think it was great if eg johnny marr or billy bragg or, let's say, ed sheeran had written / been singing it? Me thinks not.

well, you thinks wrong.

@Stan Doffish

Of course I would! I’d be like they finally wrote a great song !

Though it’s really always about that voice that is Morrissey.

It’s so catchy.....I love it/ then I think is mediocre....
I’m just so confused with it all now.
You're confused coz you think too much. Listen, then the categories you need to describe your experience will emerge automatically.
For me, neither catchy nor mediocre nail it. I had "pious" on my mind today, not sure why.

well, you thinks wrong.

@Stan Doffish

Of course I would! I’d be like they finally wrote a great song !

Though it’s really always about that voice that is Morrissey.
The voice is great as usual, but the lyrics say nothing to me about my life. As they haven't for a while. It is what it is.

Edit: to be fair, the lyrics to "First of the Gang to Die" didn't speak to me either, but I was taken by the energy and the momentum of Morrissey's "comeback" at the time and so it was easy enough to enjoy it as a catchy, throwaway single. There were then plenty of superior tracks on Quarry that I connected with more deeply afterwards. I hope the same for Bonfire.

You're confused coz you think too much. Listen, then the categories you need to describe your experience will emerge automatically.
For me, neither catchy nor mediocre nail it. I had "pious" on my mind today, not sure why.
Well I’ve never been accused of thinking to much 😆
You sound a little confused here as well. Why pious ?

From the live version this sounds like a decent, catchy single - but not quite a classic. More of a solid 'Action is My Middle Name' than a 'First of the Gang to Die'. Some of the lyrics are a bit awkward, but Morrissey has form for that, so it's kind of a signature style. Probably the most interesting bit for me is the offbeat timing of the vocal melody in the chorus - something about it seems to rub against the grain of the 4/4 tempo, and almost make it seem like it's drifting into something else.

The little studio snippet we heard did sound super well produced though, so the actual LP version may yet be even stronger than the live version.

Well I’ve never been accused of thinking to much 😆
You sound a little confused here as well. Why pious ?
Well, there is something in the way it progresses, like climbing a ladder of ascension, sort of, or a terraced hillside. Wouldn't say it's soaring, though.
I imagined a pious person experiencing a semi-orgasmic rise on a stairwell to heaven.
Added to that, it was a hot and sunny day yesterday, which might have contributed to my confusion.
But i agree that it is a catchy tune, as i was listening to it repeatedly in my mind.

I listened this track once again. Female vocal is definitely Miley! She has a very recognisable voice.
It’s unexpected collaboration🤷‍♀️

Someone at the festival did seem to confirm Miley is the female singer but didn't say how they knew. Was it announced or talked about? Any way to verify?

It starts well, but then reveals itself to be a very slight song. It most definitely isn't about Madonna, but she adopted Veronica as a confirmation name and has released an album called Veronica Electronica.

One hopes the dear boy is throwing us the dross first, prior to birthing an album full of late-period classics. However, is this is the highlight of what may arrive . . . .

wait until we hear the studio version,as i said in the cruel world thread people loved this last week now its a bad song,make your mind up.

does it sound like myley,for me no,sounds like an oler female.could be wrong,then again i could be right.

I don't want to say bad things about new Morrissey songs but hoping this is like a "test" and he's saving the good stuff.
you just have.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom