Morrissey A-Z: "I Am Veronica"

This song presses its finger hard on my top bell. Not just "catchy", I like how he sings it. Sure, It's not This Charming Man, but what is?

This song presses its finger hard on my top bell. Not just "catchy", I like how he sings it. Sure, It's not This Charming Man, but what is?
I am Veronica according to SER 🙄

Sure not . I don't like "Bobby don't you think they know" very much, but at the same time I think it's catchy. And from time to time I find myself humming this song . And it makes me embarrassed .

embrace embarrassment!

Uh-huh ....Oh-oh ....Hey, yeah...Bobbyyyyyy

If I compare my reaction to the one I had in 2002 when we heard his new songs, it is closer to I Like you than First of the gang to die (which I adored) or Irish Blood English Heart (which I enjoyed a lot).

The 'press your finger hard' pre-chorus bit kind of reminds me of 'Children in Pieces'. Maybe it's just that rising chord sequence. I wonder if it's another Jesse co-write?

The 'press your finger hard' pre-chorus bit kind of reminds me of 'Children in Pieces'. Maybe it's just that rising chord sequence. I wonder if it's another Jesse co-write?
I had completely forgotten Children In Pieces. I was thinking the finger hard bit in I Am Veronica reminded me of The Kid's A Looker. Morrissey did say that Jesse was the only usual band member to play on Bonfire, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote the music for Veronica.

What is "learned brow"? Is English I think, but it means, somebody knows what?

What is "learned brow"? Is English I think, but it means, somebody knows what?
Literally 'educated head'. Owls are traditionally seen as 'wise' for some reason. Maybe because they look a bit like professors/ old fashioned school teachers?

I don't want to say bad things about new Morrissey songs but hoping this is like a "test" and he's saving the good stuff.

I don't want to say bad things about new Morrissey songs but hoping this is like a "test" and he's saving the good stuff.
This song doesn’t smack you in the face like earlier lead singles have done, lyrically it’s sparse and it’s the I,I, I, bit along with the backing vocals that are the hook.
Can’t wait to here studio version tho.

So who is the female backing singer? Very prominent within the cruel world version and likely to be just as much so on the album version.

Could be Smiley Miley Cyrus

It's so sad he didn't drop his single. He should do it as soon as possible while he has a tour!

I figured this one would be a dud when Sam was hyping it up as better than "This Charming Man."

I've seen this one live twice now and despite an energetic performance by the band doing their best approximation of a Street-era composition, the lyrics are just too vague and sparse for it to connect with me. It's a shame to push this one as a single given that there's barely a message conveyed and, as @Carlislebaz mentioned above, the only real hook is that initial "I, I, I..." bit. When he starts rattling off the animal rhymes it just becomes a bit cringey.

It's interesting that the only new (-ish) songs he's playing on this tour so far are this one and "Knockabout World." These are two songs that, musically, fit quite inconspicuously alongside the rest of the Viva Hate / Bona Drag material that he seems to be favoring at the moment.

The more i listen to it, the more i love it. Guitar play is excellent on this one. Looking forward to its release.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom