Morrissey A-Z: "Friday Mourning"

The Earl's Court live version is superior, but it's still a good enough tune. Plenty of quotable lines, sweet vocal melody and nice drama to it. Quite far behind his best ever ballads, but as we all very well know - the competition is ridiculous.

And when they hold me down
And when they kick me down the stairs
I see the faces all lined up before me
Of teachers and of parents and bosses
Who all share a point of view
You are a loser
This is my favourite section of the song but I originally heard the first line as 'And when they haul me down the hall'.

I reckon my lyric is better.

I really enjoy this song. It doesn't quite work as a cohesive whole, but there are so many good elements to it, and somehow it manages to remind me of 1970s Elton John and also with echoes of early Suede? I can totally hear Brett singing this.

Elton John is an apt comparison here. Morrissey sounds like he has just joined the IV league of crooners here. For me, the voice is the best part of the song. Musically and lyrically, it is nice but nothing new.

This is my favourite section of the song but I originally heard the first line as 'And when they haul me down the hall'.

I reckon my lyric is better.
That's what I hear! I just copied this from Google, assuming it was the correct lyrics. Stupid move on my part.

"This dawn raid soon put paid to all the things I whispered to you at night time." A line that saves the whole song, lovely.

Neither Morrissey's nor Alain's finest moment. But "I Am Two People" is worse.

I like this one - not perfect but still an enjoyable song. Of the 70 or so songs that Alain wrote, I'd just about put this in the top 20.
Third best Quarry B-side after Never Played Symphonies and Walk Tall.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom