Morrissey A-Z: "Days of Decision"

First off, it’s great. Though Phil Ochs is known for his protest songs, it’s his later work that I’m mostly a fan of, so of course I wish he covered one of those.

Not one of my favorites on CS.

the sixties were all about protest songs and yet the uk had very few,

but in 1977....

voice is great on this,i think every artist wants to have a go at singing their favourite songs when growing up.

surprised he didn’t do a covers record earlier, though I guess he felt
for him it was the right time.

surprised he didn’t do a covers record earlier, though I guess he felt
for him it was the right time.
He didn't really have a record deal for most of the 2010s, so I guess this was the first opportunity for him to do it.

He didn't really have a record deal for most of the 2010s, so I guess this was the first opportunity for him to do it.

just surprised he didn’t do one much earlier, because he obviously always liked to throw one in as a b-side or live song, Bowie did one, a lot of 60’s vocalists did mostly covers. I just think it was always there simmering on the back burner of his mind.

I wouldn’t mind a CS part two.

just surprised he didn’t do one much earlier, because he obviously always liked to throw one in as a b-side or live song, Bowie did one, a lot of 60’s vocalists did mostly covers. I just think it was always there simmering on the back burner of his mind.

Absolutely.
I just want a whole album of Morrissey doing cover versions of 60s girl singers.

It's time.

One of the best from California Son, an album that I just can't get into on the whole. I think it actually sounds like a "Morrissey song".

I think California Son would have worked better as a 5-6 song EP. Perhaps:

Rose Garden*
Lady Willpower
Don't Interrupt the Sorrow
Morning Starship
Wedding Bell Blues
Days of Decision

*I realize that "Rose Garden" isn't on the album, but I think its one of the best live covers he's ever done and would have been great in the studio.

Yes, it could be argued that CS didn't replace an original album, since it was recorded and released in such close proximity to LIHS and Dog. But on the other we know how prolific Morrissey can be when he has a record contract -- and he could have done a self-written album instead, when he still had BMG backing him. I still feel it was a wasted opportunity, and it didn't improve any way his commercial or critical standing. In my opinion covers should have been left on b-sides or on a deluxe edition bonus disc of a "proper" album.

Also one of my favorite tracks on CS, beautiful vocal here.

For me, the best about CS was looking up the originals, dipping my toes in the music that was mostly written before I was born.
I believe that Morrissey's admiration for these protest singers is sincere, and that he has always been drawn to artistic types that are somewhat dangerous for the establishment. As an artist, he has carried on this tradition, at least in his own view. However, being anti-establishment today means that you are more likely on the far-right than on the far-left where these singers were coming from. So I do share the misgivings expressed by others as to his own interpretation of these songs.

Also one of my favorite tracks on CS, beautiful vocal here.

For me, the best about CS was looking up the originals, dipping my toes in the music that was mostly written before I was born.
I believe that Morrissey's admiration for these protest singers is sincere, and that he has always been drawn to artistic types that are somewhat dangerous for the establishment. As an artist, he has carried on this tradition, at least in his own view. However, being anti-establishment today means that you are more likely on the far-right than on the far-left where these singers were coming from. So I do share the misgivings expressed by others as to his own interpretation of these songs.

That's really not true... the hard left is very active - & bothers the establishment so much they renamed it the far left to imply they were just the same as the far right.

What's complicated is that some types of seemingly progressive discourse have taken over tiny bits of the establishment & if someone pushes back against that rhetoric, they'll probably get called a Nazi.

one of the first covers album was bryan ferrys another time another place,amazing to think that bf was only 29 when he did this.

One of the best from California Son, an album that I just can't get into on the whole. I think it actually sounds like a "Morrissey song".

I think California Son would have worked better as a 5-6 song EP. Perhaps:

Rose Garden*
Lady Willpower
Don't Interrupt the Sorrow
Morning Starship
Wedding Bell Blues
Days of Decision

*I realize that "Rose Garden" isn't on the album, but I think its one of the best live covers he's ever done and would have been great in the studio.
good shout,rose garden is fantastic,to think he only did it once live.

one of the first covers album was bryan ferrys another time another place,amazing to think that bf was only 29 when he did this.

I know! Young enough to know better, but he went and did it anyway. He must of took the cue from Bowie that released Pinups a year earlier 73.

That's really not true... the hard left is very active - & bothers the establishment so much they renamed it the far left to imply they were just the same as the far right.

What's complicated is that some types of seemingly progressive discourse have taken over tiny bits of the establishment & if someone pushes back against that rhetoric, they'll probably get called a Nazi.

Okay, I won't claim that the hard left is less active now than before, but depending where you live, there's been a rise in the activism of the hard right. Anyway, the distinction is not always easy to make. Take the yellow vests protests in France (which Morrissey supported btw), they attracted both protestors from the hard left and from Le Pen's movement.

Okay, I won't claim that the hard left is less active now than before, but depending where you live, there's been a rise in the activism of the hard right. Anyway, the distinction is not always easy to make. Take the yellow vests protests in France (which Morrissey supported btw), they attracted both protestors from the hard left and from Le Pen's movement.

Some issues have got entangled - some activists have switched sides - but it's not enough to collapse the meaning of old protest songs.

Le Pen's been trying to hitch a ride on the left - her exploiting the kind of economic protest that's traditionally left-wing isn't surprising.

It might take more time to sort out who is doing what, that's all.

“I beg your pardon...”

I think he did it twice. yes

though you’re right, he should have done it more.
I know it's Lynn Anderson's song but to me it's always Sandie because hers is the version I'm more familiar with. An absolute cracker.

Lynn also said she loved his version.

good shout,rose garden is fantastic,to think he only did it once live.
I was lucky enough to see this once of the twice he performed it. I like the song, Lynn Anderson’s version and Moz done it justice !!

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom